What did you tie today?

karstopo
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Re: What did you tie today?

Post by karstopo »

Went out this morning off the dock and made a couple of casts behind the jutting cypress knee. The bass missed on the first attack, but I cast the white diver with the black oval a second time behind the root and got the 1 pound fish. Lake is steaming from the cold north wind, but the bass are still feeding on top.

I think I got the trim about right on the deer hair. Floated high, but not too high and bubbled about right.
rayb

Post by rayb »

[img][[IMG]http://www.jpgbox.com/jpg/53805_600x400.jpg[/img]/img]
I was wondering, if someone could post a recipe for this fly. I would like to try it.
Thanks in advance
karstopo
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by karstopo »

I love the white diver, easy to see. This fish missed it twice, but on the third cast...ImageImage

Sent from my SM-J320V using Tapatalk
kickingback
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by kickingback »

I like the colors! Divers with deer hair are fun to tie. I need to get me a cheap source for hair myself as EBay can get expensive. Do you mind sharing by PM where you can get it cheapest? Thanks!
kickingback
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by kickingback »

rayb wrote:[img][[IMG]http://www.jpgbox.com/jpg/53805_600x400.jpg[/img]/img]
I was wondering, if someone could post a recipe for this fly. I would like to try it.
Thanks in advance
Looks like a cross of a seaducer and streamer without neck hackle. Where did you find it? I can't zoom in enough to make it out completely.
rayb

Post by rayb »

kickingback wrote:
rayb wrote:[img][[IMG]http://www.jpgbox.com/jpg/53805_600x400.jpg[/img]/img]
Thanks in advance
Looks like a cross of a seaducer and streamer without neck hackle. Where did you find it? I can't zoom in enough to make it out completely.
It's called a crazy charley
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AKe2WuLXrrY
Thanks
karstopo
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by karstopo »

kickingback wrote:I like the colors! Divers with deer hair are fun to tie. I need to get me a cheap source for hair myself as EBay can get expensive. Do you mind sharing by PM where you can get it cheapest? Thanks!
I thought I sent a private message, but looking at my control panel I don't see where I sent it. Did you get the PM?
kickingback
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by kickingback »

No Sir. Try again and I will let you know as soon as I get it.

I was bored today with the weather and decided to tie a size 12/0 fly.
I have no idea what to try to catch with it but thought I might try to drag it for a bit while offshore and see what does want it. :lol:
If I work it correctly I may be able to make a jig with a head like a crappie jig and be able to "jig" it at the oil rigs. We'll see.

Hook: 12/0 standard fish hook
Tail: Natural peacock feather
Body: White extra thick plush yarn
Back and sides: Rabbit zonker two tone, holographic tinsel flash
Eyes: Large plastic sealed moving eyes
Thread: White 210 denier

karstopo
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by karstopo »

2/0 is as big as I’ve done. If you can cast it, you can fish it.
kickingback
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by kickingback »

Did it mainly for a display but it looks so good I want to try it offshore! :lol:

I bought a ten pack of these hooks cheap from Aliexpress so I will tie a few for display. The hardest part is deciding and finding the right size feathers and hackle. My next I think I will have to make a few brushes of longer fibers and flash for hackle to wrap the hook and be proportionate.
I can cut my own zonkers to whatever width I need so that will be good for action. Maybe I can find a small ball(in place of small bead) for the head and eyes!

Added a bit more to it and I am thinking it may do well...

karstopo
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by karstopo »

Reminds me of one of those tropical coral reef fish. You might catch a big grouper or snapper with that fly. Put on a big old weight and hang that fly a couple above...
Roger S

Post by Roger S »

having a terrible time posting photos as i have just switched to a chromebook pc. any hints?
kickingback
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by kickingback »

Roger S wrote:having a terrible time posting photos as i have just switched to a chromebook pc. any hints?
You have to have an image hosting site. I upload my images to my IMGUR.COM account and then it gives you links tothe photos that you use with the "insert img" button on your post.
Roger S

Post by Roger S »

Test

Photobucket was a total screwup
Roger S

Post by Roger S »

kickingback wrote:
Roger S wrote:having a terrible time posting photos as i have just switched to a chromebook pc. any hints?
You have to have an image hosting site. I upload my images to my IMGUR.COM account and then it gives you links tothe photos that you use with the "insert img" button on your post.
Thanks kickingback for the IMGUR site, that worked great.
kickingback
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by kickingback »

That's a nice fly!!! :clap:
karstopo
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by karstopo »

I found this Neolt Drafting table by the dumpster behind my office. There’s nothing wrong with it other than it was dirty. I cleaned it up and it’s now a tying table. Even comes with a view of the water. ImageImage

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
kickingback
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by kickingback »

Awesome! You live on the water?!? Lucky man! You can tie and yest them all in one place! That is sweet!!!
karstopo
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by karstopo »

kickingback wrote:Awesome! You live on the water?!? Lucky man! You can tie and yest them all in one place! That is sweet!!!
I do test flies, ones for the salt and fresh, out in the lake. When I first moved here last year, all I had was saltwater flies. Most, except the clousers, didn’t work very well in the freshwater. Now I have figured out some things that work and use deer hair divers, Balanced Leeches, and woolly buggers out on the lake and that pretty much covers the fish here except the grass carp.

I’ve not been out on the salt water since early in January. It’s very easy to walk the bank here or jump in the Jon boat. Loading up the kayak for a trip to the salt seems like work as comparison. Bass slurping a diver is pretty addictive. The lake gets some pressure this time of year from residents and their guests (lake is small, no gas engines, and private), but I’ve only seen one other fly fisherman. I work the bass over on my bank, but eventually they forget being caught and what caught them and they go for the same diver again.

My family is complaining because I never bring any fish home anymore. I tried a couple of Crappie from the lake, but I like saltwater fish very much more to eat. I haven’t tried a catfish from the lake. We had tilapia but they all froze this winter. There’s sunfish, big ones, but I can’t kill them.
imaoldmanyoungsalt

Post by imaoldmanyoungsalt »

karstopo wrote:I found this Neolt Drafting table by the dumpster behind my office. There’s nothing wrong with it other than it was dirty. I cleaned it up and it’s now a tying table. Even comes with a view of the water. ImageImage

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Great job re purposing a drafting table. I have one I use for filleting fish. I like your idea better but I don't think I need to add fly tying to my hobbies/addictions yet...................yet :wink:
Roger S

Post by Roger S »

That's a great tying table, you'll love it. I had one for years. So sorry it went away with our remodel.
kickingback
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by kickingback »

karstopo wrote:
kickingback wrote:Awesome! You live on the water?!? Lucky man! You can tie and yest them all in one place! That is sweet!!!
I do test flies, ones for the salt and fresh, out in the lake. When I first moved here last year, all I had was saltwater flies. Most, except the clousers, didn’t work very well in the freshwater. Now I have figured out some things that work and use deer hair divers, Balanced Leeches, and woolly buggers out on the lake and that pretty much covers the fish here except the grass carp.

I’ve not been out on the salt water since early in January. It’s very easy to walk the bank here or jump in the Jon boat. Loading up the kayak for a trip to the salt seems like work as comparison. Bass slurping a diver is pretty addictive. The lake gets some pressure this time of year from residents and their guests (lake is small, no gas engines, and private), but I’ve only seen one other fly fisherman. I work the bass over on my bank, but eventually they forget being caught and what caught them and they go for the same diver again.

My family is complaining because I never bring any fish home anymore. I tried a couple of Crappie from the lake, but I like saltwater fish very much more to eat. I haven’t tried a catfish from the lake. We had tilapia but they all froze this winter. There’s sunfish, big ones, but I can’t kill them.
I envy you brother! If I could fish anytime I wanted by just walking out the door I would be hard pressed myself to get in a car and drive to fish when they are right there! :clap: :clap: :clap:
RexW

Post by RexW »

I just saw the comment about IMGUR. So, I thought I'd try it with a fly from last week. I've been looking for a Photobucket replacement.

This a Grizzly King pattern.

kickingback
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by kickingback »

:clap: :clap: :clap:
NativeSon

Post by NativeSon »

That is one beautiful fly.