First Saltwater Trip Advice

jrsac

First Saltwater Trip Advice

Post by jrsac »

Hello everyone! My brother and I are making our first saltwater trip in the kayaks next weekend(3/31). We were thinking about putting in at Louis' Bait Camp and paddling around from there but are willing to try somewhere else if we need to. We have no idea where a good place to start is and going there because we heard that they have a kayak launch. We are located about 45 minutes north of Houston and hoping to keep the drive under 2.5 hours. I am not looking for your exact fishing holes, just a starting point that might have an area that we can find a few reds or trout. Any advice would help. TIA
Cityfisher

Re: First Saltwater Trip Advice

Post by Cityfisher »

I've only fished out of Louis twice, but that's not a bad place to start.
Another good spot is Galveston State Park. There are 3 different Kayak launch points there and fishing can be good or bad.
That's the first place I ever kayak fished in saltwater and hooked a 23" flounder that day.
Or you can go on down to surfside and fish Christmas Bay or further to south to Drum Bay. (They are connected) Both are good places to explore the salt for the first time. Just look on google earth and you will see some areas to launch from. Basically anywhere you can get your vehicle to the waters edge at, but there are several kayak launch places.
kjack87

Post by kjack87 »

The “hook n line” maps are a great start, try to find protected water from the high winds .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Kayak Kid
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Post by Kayak Kid »

The weather in Galveston Is gonna be pretty nice....,except for the 12 to 15 mph wind that will be coming from the South.
Best bet is to launch at Galveston Island park, had into Dana's Cove and hug the leeward shoreline. There should be some Reds in and around the grass. Trout might be lurking on the leeward side of the "in close" sand filled bags (about one hundred yards from the leeward shore. They look like a series os small islands running East to West). If after fish, I would suggest live shrimp under a popping cork.

Depending on your paddling skills, I would avoid heading out too far into Dana Cove. That 15 mph wind Is tough to paddle into at the end of a days fishing.
YakRunabout

Post by YakRunabout »

I recommend that you go with your first instinct and launch at Louis' bait camp. It is closer than other sites in West Bay and so a shorter trip. It is also an easy launch area.
Head south under Highway 6 and fish in Highland bayou for trout as you move along. There is a marsh area opposite the houses before the railroad bridge, but this can be shallow. Fishing can be good around the train trestle, especially with water movement. If you continue down Highland Bayou then enter the first marsh drain on the right. This has some deep water for a ways in and good access to the marsh with enough water. Lots of water to explore, check on google maps or bing maps to check possible areas.

The weather for the 31st looks good at this time with winds below 10mph.

The State Park is also a good choice and I would keep it on the list of sites to hit.
crusher

Post by crusher »

My first saltwater kayak trip advice is wear your life vest rather than stow it away. Try not to sunburn and avoid dehydration. Stay out of heavy powerboat traffic. Large boat wakes and losing your orientation deep in a marsh are bad ideas for a first trip in my opinion.

There are plenty of areas to go and some are well mentioned from the first few guys. I normally suggest the state park for first trips. When that goes well, you can move up to longer or more challenging places as far as the paddle is concerned pretty quickly if you feel competent. Kayak fishing definitely adds a new complication to boat or bank fishing at first.
mwatson71

Post by mwatson71 »

I would launch in Galveston Island State Park, at the farthest launch into Lake Como. It is a nice, protected area, and great for first time salt trips. It is where I take most of the people I have introduced to kayak fishing. And as previously mentioned, I think the best advice is to wear your PFD.
TroutSupport.com
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Post by TroutSupport.com »

Keep tabs on the wind forecast for the beach, not the inshore forecast.

https://old.windguru.cz/int/index.php?s ... sty=m_menu

If that front is a little delayed and it's predicted hard north, then the lights in some of the canals like tiki can be good at night or predawn for catching fish on those post frontal bites. what ever you do don't get caught on an unprotected south shoreline when a north wind hits. Weather this time of year can be highly variable. keep tabs on that link.
wear that pfd and have fun.

PM sent.
TrailChaser

Post by TrailChaser »

I haven't fished Galveston Bay. But if I was going for the first time I would launch from here.. https://www.google.com/maps/@29.1452441 ... a=!3m1!1e3

Then I would hit this area. https://www.google.com/maps/@29.1708609 ... a=!3m1!1e3 I would fish the shorelines looking for reds crawling around on their belly hoping to ambush a little blue crab. You might even see some juvenile reds schooling up.

Best of luck to you guys where ever you end up fishing.
Texas Rattler

Post by Texas Rattler »

Pay attention to Brown Pelicans - they are one of the best 'fishing guides' that Mother Nature provides an angler.

Even one brown pelican diving for bait in shallow water can be sign of a small pod of redfish or a quality trout working that area.

Some of my best fishin' holes were provided to me courtesy of some brown pelicans - you might even find a reef where they are working.
:wink:
jrsac

Post by jrsac »

Thanks for all of the advice! I really appreciate the input. I will talk to my brother about all of this and we will let you know how it works out. Hopefully we will be able to post some fish photos.
Yaklash
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Post by Yaklash »

I would also recommend Galveston Island State Park for a coastal newbie. It is barely an hour's drive from downtown Houston in the early morning hours (though I don't travel down the Gulf Freeway enough to know if there are any current construction hold-ups).

And although the suggestion to go to the farthest launch on Lake Cuomo is a good one, if you are a little more adventurous and in good shape, there is a drive that goes to the south(west) part of the park to a parking lot and then there is a footpath that takes you down to a bayou that then connects out to Carancahua Cove. The tide should be almost all the way up back in that bayou, so you should be able to find some redfish right near the launch. Slowly paddle/fish your way out to the cove. Carancahua Cove is very protected and can hold good fish. It is also the "road" less traveled at the park, so you will likely have less company back there. The not so little downside is the 150 yards from your truck to the launch, but with a partner, you should be able to get 2 kayaks & all your stuff down there in two trips. If you get a couple of trolleys, you can do it in one.
kickingback
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by kickingback »

If you want to fish underwater lights near homes at night Tiki would be a great place to start. You can launch for free from the public boat ramp near Fatboy's Bait. Good to launch right at dark and fish the canal lights or paddle to the causeway and fish the over head lights for some great trout action.
jrsac

Post by jrsac »

Thank you for all of the advice! We went out and the morning was nice. We caught 2 rat reds and a hardhead. When it was time to leave the wind killed us. It took us over 2.5 hours of paddling to get back. Next time we will try to make sure the winds aren't as heavy. Good luck to everyone!
junkyard chihuahua
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Post by junkyard chihuahua »

Sounds like you figured out a good kayak tip already, but try to head into tthe wind early so you can have it at you back on the way in.