Advice for redfish in Corpus

Bassboy1992

Advice for redfish in Corpus

Post by Bassboy1992 »

Hey folks, I've fished down around Corpus (usually east of the JFK Cos-way) dozens of times. Whenever I go, it's usually hit or miss for the redfish. I can catch the trout just fine out on the flats, drifting, or over oyster shells. Whenever I want flounder, they're not difficult to find. Black drum are easy, just like catfish fishing. But I have trouble locking in on the redfish. Usually I just catch one randomly, while fishing for other species. I'm not looking to take anyone's secret spot, but can y'all give me a little advice, and point me in the right direction?

Maybe I need to head over west of the bridge, and fish the marsh a little more. In all the videos and pictures I see y'all posting, I see grass and mud. Grass sticking up off the bank. I can't seem to find areas like that around my area.

Any advice is really appreciated. I'm taking a buddy down there this weekend, and he wants to focus on reds all weekend.

Thanks!
- Chase B.
Yaklash
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Re: Advice for redfish in Corpus

Post by Yaklash »

You answered your own question. Almost every redfish I have ever caught that wasn't on a jetty, rock groin or a bull red in the beachfront or BTB, was close to grass beds or a grass shoreline. You don't necessarily have to get back into the marsh.
texnomad
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Post by texnomad »

In fact a grass bed a few yards from a deep channel like the Intracoastal can be wild action. Fish the upper shoulder of the channel all the way back to the grass line very carefully.
TroutSupport.com
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Post by TroutSupport.com »

Right now I would fish the edges of flats closer to either the jetty cut or Packery. Reds are funny in the spring and get lonely, they hang out with trout in the spring due to this need for camaraderie. All kidding aside, look for them on the edges of the flats next to main bays near the passes.
Tombo

Post by Tombo »

I can tell you what I do in one word, move. Not always success but I like the "hunt" part of fishing.
When trying to think what a Redfish does, it comes down to food, flats and warming sun.