Lost Mirage 180 Drive in Surfside

narmour12b

Lost Mirage 180 Drive in Surfside

Post by narmour12b »

Moral of the story: don’t smack talk on the beach, don’t lose respect for the ocean, stay out of rough surf even when windfinder says it’s glass, and never ever ever remove the mirage during reentry (its better to risk damaging a fin than losing an 850 dollar unit)

Tuesday March 13 was a day of hard learned lessons for me. I am very aware of the mistakes I made and have learned dearly from them. I capsized in my outback coming in from trying to sabiki some bait in surfside beach between access road 2 and 3 and my mirage 180 drive Is now a part of the gulf. If you find it on the beach, by the playground rules of “ finders keepers” and Texas Salvage Laws it’s yours to keep but feel free to pm me if you feel a moral obligation or need some good karma in your life and want to return it. I have grounded myself from kayak fishing until I have learned my lesson and hopefully I’ll have another mirage by the end of the year.
julioandadrie

Re: RE: Lost Mirage 180 Drive in Surfside

Post by julioandadrie »

narmour12b wrote:Moral of the story: don’t smack talk on the beach, don’t lose respect for the ocean, stay out of rough surf even when windfinder says it’s glass, and never ever ever remove the mirage during reentry (its better to risk damaging a fin than losing an 850 dollar unit)

Tuesday March 13 was a day of hard learned lessons for me. I am very aware of the mistakes I made and have learned dearly from them. I capsized in my outback coming in from trying to sabiki some bait in surfside beach between access road 2 and 3 and my mirage 180 drive Is now a part of the gulf. If you find it on the beach, by the playground rules of “ finders keepers” and Texas Salvage Laws it’s yours to keep but feel free to pm me if you feel a moral obligation or need some good karma in your life and want to return it. I have grounded myself from kayak fishing until I have learned my lesson and hopefully I’ll have another mirage by the end of the year.
If I find It I'll let you know bro

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
Cuervo Jones
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Re: Lost Mirage 180 Drive in Surfside

Post by Cuervo Jones »

Ouch. I’ve lost pliers and a rod holder before, and that smarts. Can’t imagine how bummed I’d be to lose a mirage drive. Hope it turns up and some kind soul returns it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Ryanh1801

Post by Ryanh1801 »

Sorry to hear that I did the same thing last summer. I got really lucky though and spent a few hours searching the area I thought it went over bored and was lucky enough to find mine. Mine now stays locked in until im on the beach.
kickingback
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by kickingback »

Did you have a keeper cord attached to them? I always have mine attached to a very strong plastic coated cable.
I f I find your unit I will contact you. Hope you find it!
narmour12b

Post by narmour12b »

thanks guys hopefully it washes up or somebody snags it but either way I learned my lesson the best kinda way...the hard way. it’s good to know I’m not the only one to ever lose a mirage though. One lesson I forgot to mention, I had it strapped down through the peddle strap. You guys know, the strap made of rubber that comes off real easy...
TexAgg10

Post by TexAgg10 »

That hurts :(. If you have an older Mirage drive, you can drill out a hole in the plastic (near where the peddles connect) for a more solid attach point. The newer models have a hole already there for attachment.
Welderdude

Post by Welderdude »

I lost, and replaced, a non 180 Mirage drive...it hurts . At least I landed the fish I was fighting, which made the $684 replacement well worth it...NOT. Feel you pain man
Dandydon
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Dandydon »

Quick Mirage Drive recovery story: I rented a Hobie Outback & Revolution to explore deep Lake Chelan up in Washington State with my college buddy Chuck. After a great 4-hour yak trip, we were coming back in when Chuck leaned over & capsized his yak.
His Mirage Drive fell out into lake water about 15 feet deep. I groaned that mistake would cost me over $600, but my friend swam back to the capsize-point and started hunting underwater in the semi-murky water.
It took him about 10 minutes to swim up from the bottom, smiling & clutching the Mirage Drive! That night I bought him an expensive halibut dinner. And I also recommend safety cords for your Hobie pedal drives. Better safe than sorry.
IMG_1325.JPG
The photo is of Chuck on Lake Chelan...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
narmour12b

Post by narmour12b »

So I’ve decided to sell my AK-47 with a couple mags to help cover the cost of a replacement mirage drive. If anyone might be interested I have it listed in the misc. category
Nano-Skiff
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Nano-Skiff »

Be sure to engrave your name and number with "reward if found" on your next one.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk
narmour12b

Post by narmour12b »

Got some good news guys, work has picked up for the phone company and after working 140 hours last pay period I was able to pull the trigger on a new mirage drive. Thank God for overtime and never remove the mirage until your back on the beach!!