Amistad Fishing Report

texnomad
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Amistad Fishing Report

Post by texnomad »

I am camping at Lake Amistad for a few weeks and have been watching the boats come in with their catches. Seems to be some decent LMB coming in. The shore folks are cleaning up on 18-24 inch carp. Carp is served in some restaurants here and I had never tried it before but is a pretty good eating fish. The yakkers, and there is a lot of them this year, have been finding smaller LMB up in the shallows. As is usual the winds are keeping the boats wary when out on the water. Water clarity on the part of the lake nearer to Del Rio have been very good. White bass seem to be late this year as well as the warmer weather. The spring break crowd seems to have skipped Del Rio/ Amistad this year and totally swamped Big Bend. The highways from Big Bend next Sunday should be really busy. Next year I plan to have one of my yaks with me. I think I will be healed enough to make good use of it.
kickingback
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Re: Amistad Fishing Report

Post by kickingback »

Thanks for sharing. Hope you get well soon!
Cuervo Jones
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by Cuervo Jones »

I’ll be out that way in a couple of weeks. May bring a float tube and fly rod along to mess with the fish type denizens.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
texnomad
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Post by texnomad »

Lots and lots of significant fly fishing goes on around here. Right now the wind is making the 277 North boat ramp the best place to launch on the lower lake in my opinion.
texnomad
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Post by texnomad »

A fishing report question for the powers that be. Since this is Texas Kayak Fisherman and not Texas Kayak Fishing I assume that reports on lakes close to Texas in New Mexico where lots of Texas Yakkers fish will be acceptable. i.e. Elephant Butte and Brantley are the main ones I will be camped near. If not please speak up.
Cuervo Jones
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by Cuervo Jones »

Go for it. At this point, any reports are good reports. And considering the lack of posts in general, anything you can do to liven the place up is welcome.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
mwatson71

Post by mwatson71 »

Was there/is there any concern with safety? I fished Falcon Lake several years ago by boat and our guide told us before we launched "If I say, get down, I mean get down immediately and lay as flat as you can. I can outrun most of their boats but I can't outrun their bullets." This trip was right before the couple on the jet ski incident. For some reason, I still got on the boat and had a helluva time fishing. We boated over 60 bass with the majority being in the 3-4 lb range, a few over 7 lbs., and one at 10.75 lbs.

I have always wanted to go back and fish Falcon again and to try Amistad but I know that in my kayak I could outrun neither their boats or their bullets.
texnomad
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Post by texnomad »

I have been fishing around Falcon and Amistad for years and years and never seen anything to bother me even a little. According to a friend of mine, those folks on the jetskis years ago were messing around way up in a Mexico canyon doing who knows what.
I was talking to an Amistad park ranger yesterday and he said it is very boring around here most all the time. Even the Border Patrol guys are trying to transfer to where they can get better law enforcement experience. I have been here a month in an isolated primitive campground (San Pedro) with the wind as the main misery. Kayaks need to launch in a proper orientated canyon to dodge the wind.
FISHING REPORT:
Since this is a fishing report section, today I checked Diablo East cleaning table and found nothing had been cleaned. My neighbor camper was at Rough Canyon and some very large catfish were being cleaned. Kayaks are great boats on this lake in my opinion. There is so many canyons to fish you can always get out of the wind. A lot of folks not used to the very clear water have trouble figuring out the secret and I am in that bunch.
Aggroman
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Post by Aggroman »

I was hoping to get back down there this month, but it's not going to happen. Here's a bit of info...A buddy who was down at rough canyon a few days ago said the whites were running hard around Indian Springs. I really, really wanted to get there for that again. Last years trip during that time was one of the most memorable i've had there. They started flapping and slapping the water at 7am and we couldn't get out of our sleeping bags quick enough. What a trip.
texnomad
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Post by texnomad »

Those white bass really come on strong when they move into an area of Amistad. It is always great fun.