Short Spring Break

Aggroman
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Short Spring Break

Post by Aggroman »

We never get to have any family time during Spring Break. My work is at it's peak busy season, so we're always stuck in town. But this year, I somehow was able to get out on a Saturday and Sunday. My wife, kids and myself left Friday night after work and headed to Bend, Tx. We were meeting up with a buddy that has a camper at Sulpher Springs campground. All the state parks within a 4 hour radius were filled up, so we jumped at the chance. He had already loaded up my yaks, his canoe, 2-man, and deck boat for the week he and his family were staying there. We got there about 9:30pm and got settled in. The next day, we woke to a very nice surprise. We haven't been here in years, and didn't remember how beautiful this place was.

It was supposed to be around 90 with 20+ mph winds, but the weather dudes had it wrong. It was a comfy 80 with a very slight breeze. We spent the day chasing whites, checking lines, paddling up and down the river, and running a few small rapids. It was an amazing day on the water.

Even got a feisty 5lb cat on the line.

As the day turned to evening, the fun continued. We hung out and talked, threw some lines in the water, then cleaned, fixed up, and ate the bounty we caught earlier in the day.

The next morning the weather turned south. Those 20-25mph winds showed up and it was to cool to be out without a jacket in the morning. It was unrelenting and we decided to stay at camp instead of taking the boat to the state park and dropping in. We ended up cleaning the site around the camper, and decided to call it and head home. We really only had one day, but it was an incredible day with family and fish.

Scott
Cuervo Jones
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Re: Short Spring Break

Post by Cuervo Jones »

Wow. You certainly classed up the joint with this top shelf report. Thanks for this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Aggroman
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Post by Aggroman »

:lol: Thanks.

Forgot to mention, the whites weren't running hard yet but we managed about 12 keepers and 2 cats. Good eats right there. My buddy called last night and said his group caught 49 up at the lake a few days ago.
kickingback
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by kickingback »

Great time out! What's up with the catfish? It's all green and yellow looking? Channel?
karstopo
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by karstopo »

Looks like a beautiful place. Is that an Opelousas, aka flathead Catfish? Nice photos and report. Thanks for sharing.
Ron Mc
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by Ron Mc »

very nice photo essay
Aggroman
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Post by Aggroman »

Thanks guys!
My buddy called it a Opelousas too, and I had no idea what he was talking about, i'd never heard that before. I said, no, pretty sure that's a flathead. :lol:

From the TPWD - Flathead Catfish (Pylodictis olivaris) - Other Names: Yellow Cat, Opelousa Cat, Pied Cat, Mississippi Cat, Mud Cat, Shovelhead Cat