Saltwater Spinning Reels

Big Kahuna
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club
Location: Sight casting flounder potlicking Mt Stringer and Osochuck

Re: Saltwater Spinning Reels

Post by Big Kahuna »

I own a stradic, okuma helios, couple penn battle's, and two KastKing sharky II. The Helios and stradic are my go to reels. But I will use my 35$ Kast King or my pricey stradic. I break down and clean reels once every month during heavy use. I was honestly surprised with the Kast King reels for the price. Depends on your budget and what you want to spend. This is my hobby and I have found that the reels I spent more money on I have cared for them better and they in turn have been a pleasure to fish with.

Mahalo
krfish

Post by krfish »

I don't use spinning gear much anymore, and call some may call me crazy but I've had great luck with Shimano Siennas. Last year we took a buddy who had never been saltwater fishing out with us so I leant him my spinning set up. I can't tell you how many times it got dunked that day. He was so excited with all the catching that went on that day that he would forget my advice. I cleaned it when I got home and it still works like a charm. I am sure the Sedona or Stradics are great reels.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Chubs

Post by Chubs »

So my trusty old shakespier reel has basically bit the dust; the handle is not engaging 100% of the time to take up line - have to mash on the handle to reel in anything. I'd say it's kaput.

The nice thing with this reel is it's made mostly of plastic, so it's super light. My Shimano is a 4000 series; it's nice but heavier than the other reel.

Now I'm on the market for a light spinning reel that won't break the bank, that can handle your average sized red but will last a few seasons at least.
Crusader

Post by Crusader »

Chubs wrote:Now I'm on the market for a light spinning reel that won't break the bank, that can handle your average sized red but will last a few seasons at least.
Shimano Sienna FE 2500 -- it will last for 2 seasons if you don't dunk it. It could also survive about two decent-size kings :mrgreen:
Endo

Post by Endo »

imaoldmanyoungsalt wrote:https://www.cabelas.com/product/fishing ... s?slotId=0

I've been using these and have been really happy with them. I use the 65's for surf and 30's for inshore. I have use the large ones many times for surf but only used the 30's once so far for inshore. I do only go a couple times a year and clean real well after every trip so not sure how they will hold up with repeated use and only occasional cleanings tho. They're on sale right now tho....$39.99 for the 30's.........I may have to buy a couple more at that price!
I know a lot of people will turn their nose at a Cabela's branded reel, but I have to agree. The Salt Striker reels from Cabela's have been terrific for me. Have lasted many years so far. I have used them a ton, for bay fishing, offshore, freshwater, a few salmon trips in Alaska, etc...

For affordability vs Price, they are top of my list. They have outlasted several comparable Shimano reels I bought for salt water and used along side of them.

I have two of them that are still going strong after many years of use.
CoachFlex

Re: RE: Re: Saltwater Spinning Reels

Post by CoachFlex »

Endo wrote:
imaoldmanyoungsalt wrote:https://www.cabelas.com/product/fishing ... s?slotId=0

I've been using these and have been really happy with them. I use the 65's for surf and 30's for inshore. I have use the large ones many times for surf but only used the 30's once so far for inshore. I do only go a couple times a year and clean real well after every trip so not sure how they will hold up with repeated use and only occasional cleanings tho. They're on sale right now tho....$39.99 for the 30's.........I may have to buy a couple more at that price!
I know a lot of people will turn their nose at a Cabela's branded reel, but I have to agree. The Salt Striker reels from Cabela's have been terrific for me. Have lasted many years so far. I have used them a ton, for bay fishing, offshore, freshwater, a few salmon trips in Alaska, etc...

For affordability vs Price, they are top of my list. They have outlasted several comparable Shimano reels I bought for salt water and used along side of them.

I have two of them that are still going strong after many years of use.
I didn't like the feel of the salt striker. But the tournament zx reel by daiwa is great. I have a 2500 on a waterloo phantom and its been smooth and solid. And they go on sale pretty often.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk
mwatson71

Post by mwatson71 »

I recently purchased a Shimano Ultegra 3000and put it on a Waterloo Salinity and couldn't be happier.
Chubs

Post by Chubs »

So has anyone used the reels with "quick fire" from shimano? They claim one handed operation.

Anyone have feedback on that or any other manufactures equivalent?
ZLM81

Post by ZLM81 »

Stradic ci4 2500
screwston420

Post by screwston420 »

i have a couple penns 1 pursuit 2 and a battle 2i use them occasionally , bought a new curado... but my go to is my daiwa tatula ct.... have yet to cast a better casting baitcaster... even my more expensive curado rarely gets used lol
Chubs

Post by Chubs »

Chubs wrote:So has anyone used the reels with "quick fire" from shimano? They claim one handed operation.

Sorry to dredge this up again, just wanted to know about the one handed operation of spinning gear. Anyone try it? I'm eyeing a Shimano IX. Quick fire and rear drag (opinions on rear drag??). It's just $12 so I suppose I could always just buy it and if it's crap, no big loss ;)

Oh also, do they make a spinning reel that will close the bail automatically if you start to turn the crank? Seems like it would be a nice feature so you don't have to take your other hand off the rod to close the bail.
chad73

Post by chad73 »

I love the PENN battle II... great reel and won break the bank.
Chubs

Post by Chubs »

Well I went ahead and bought that shimano IX. A whopping $14. Let's see if it last me more than 1 trip lol.

I thought it was pretty cool though, it's super light, and that quick fire feature was neat, you can actually reverse spin the handle and it stops the trigger right at the top where you want it. And you simply cast and reel as soon as you are ready and the bail automatically flips back down.
Clever design.

Only a single bearing though, but who cares :P easier to replace with a sealed stainless bearing once the original rusts up I'm sure.

It's got rear drag to which will be a new thing for me.

If I like it they had a $50 more premium version, just a tad heavier though which is why I didn't get that one.
Karyuu

Post by Karyuu »

Outdoor Angler Spinning Reel 30

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Outdoor-Angle ... 0/30655482

walmart used to have these in sale for 5 bucks. they are super smooth. all I do is pack some marine grease in any openings. They are still working after one year of heavy abuse.
imaoldmanyoungsalt

Post by imaoldmanyoungsalt »

Chubs wrote:
Chubs wrote:So has anyone used the reels with "quick fire" from shimano? They claim one handed operation.

Sorry to dredge this up again, just wanted to know about the one handed operation of spinning gear. Anyone try it? I'm eyeing a Shimano IX. Quick fire and rear drag (opinions on rear drag??). It's just $12 so I suppose I could always just buy it and if it's crap, no big loss ;)

Oh also, do they make a spinning reel that will close the bail automatically if you start to turn the crank? Seems like it would be a nice feature so you don't have to take your other hand off the rod to close the bail.
Most spinning reels do auto close the bail when you start to crank the handle, however, it also torques the spool a little bit everytime you do that so over time it leads to line twist if you use monofilament. Probably not an issue if using braid. I had an older Shimano once that had the quckfire feature and I didn't care for it. I like the anti reverse reels and you can't have both.
edit: I meant to say "I like the INSTANT anti reverse reels and you can't have both"
CoachFlex

Re: RE: Re: Saltwater Spinning Reels

Post by CoachFlex »

Chubs wrote:

The IX2000 is a solid reel.

Only negative is no instant reverse if you are trying to jig plastics or pop a cork. I have some i use for friends that have been dunked, beat, pulled tons of fish and never missed a beat. Quickfire is cool.

CoachFlex

Post by CoachFlex »

I wish more reels came in rear drag. Way easier to adjust when fighting a fish!