TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Observation from today on the water sight fishing

Post by GoDoe »

Sunshine is a must
Skinny clean water is a must
There are plenty of fish out there to chase
The boat traffic is fairly light
There is not much subsurface grass growing so the reds are working the chord grass and mangroves especially with the high tides
Wind chop on the water makes the catching easier. Well at least in 1' or less water

Today conditions were good. I found fish pretty quickly but the water was a little too deep so I left them alone to keep searching. I found more fish in water 1' deep or less and got my shots in.

I probably cast to 30 reds today and got 12 of them to eat. 11 came to hand with the biggest right at 25".

Hoping for more weather like today................................
Last edited by GoDoe on Sun Mar 11, 2018 7:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
GoDoe
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by GoDoe »

sorry for the duplicate. I don't know what happened
Last edited by GoDoe on Sun Mar 11, 2018 7:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Cuervo Jones
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Re: Observation from today on the water sight fishing

Post by Cuervo Jones »

Living right.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Drifting Yak
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Drifting Yak »

Glad you found 'em GoDoe!
flydoc

Post by flydoc »

Tightwork as usual John . See you in the fall.
kickingback
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by kickingback »

What did you throw at them? They are tearing the Buggs lure well right now in a lot of spots.
GoDoe
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by GoDoe »

Black crab fly with mini dumbbell eyes tied on a number 4. I lead them about 15 feet then drag the fly along the bottom as they approach. The water was fairly calm and the fish were not too aggressive. They ate better a little later when the wind picked up.

I am fly fishing only. That is why I always post my fishing reports in the fly fishing section. I figure nobody else cares about sight fishing reports in 1' of water. I don't know what Buggs lures are. I am not sure you could throw artificials to fish in such clear shallow water but I have never tried. The fish are pretty spooky of splashes and aggressive tactics in the really skinny stuff. Even the fly will spook them sometimes and it barely makes a splash landing.
karstopo
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by karstopo »

GoDoe wrote:Black crab fly with mini dumbbell eyes tied on a number 4. I lead them about 15 feet then drag the fly along the bottom as they approach. The water was fairly calm and the fish were not too aggressive. They ate better a little later when the wind picked up.

I am fly fishing only. That is why I always post my fishing reports in the fly fishing section. I figure nobody else cares about sight fishing reports in 1' of water. I don't know what Buggs lures are. I am not sure you could throw artificials to fish in such clear shallow water but I have never tried. The fish are pretty spooky of splashes and aggressive tactics in the really skinny stuff. Even the fly will spook them sometimes and it barely makes a splash landing.
Buggs are a line of lures that are tied like flies and use materials like rabbit Zonker in addition to some synthetic material, but they are weighted to be cast with spinning or bait casting set ups. I've seen them, but have never purchased or used them. I think they would be too heavy to cast well with a normal to the Texas coast fly set up.

I don't think a fly rod can be beat for stealth potential and flies can be weighted variably to suit the situation. The lighter and less bulky a fly is, the easier it is to cast. That's pretty much the reverse of spinning or bait-casting tackle.

Nice report, John.
TimmyT140

Post by TimmyT140 »

What part of the coast are you fishing? We're inundated with fresh water right now upper coast.
GoDoe
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by GoDoe »

Staying in Aransas Pass and fishing from Packery Channel to Lighthouse Lakes.

I personally believe the lack of subsurface grass on the flats is the problem. No cover for bait so no predators up there looking around. The water gets murky faster too without the grass to filter so it is much harder to see the fish that are there. The fish I have found have been on higher than normal tides and by looking in places that are not always covered with water. I think the fish go up there looking for fresh pickings, I did see some crabs in the flood waters.

I am never in water over 2' deep but I can tell you the grass in 1' of water is nearly nonexistent. That is the norm for this time of year. The cold winters kill it back. I am just here too early. Tried to make it happen so my daughter could spend a day or two fishing with me. She's on spring break from Katy ISD. Mother Nature is just telling me not to hurry her up.

I am not smart enough to quit. I'll be back after them tomorrow.