Bayou City skiff.

OrangeQuest
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Bayou City skiff.

Post by OrangeQuest »

Hope no one minds me posting about building a motor driven boat on here. I am a beginner at this and maybe a few builders still troll this section and wouldn't mind steering me in the right direction on things. It is a stitch and glue design.

First I did not build the hull, someone gave it away incomplete, I went and picked it up. The builder already had the frames for benches in it and I cut all that out to build it with a sole and center console. First thing I did was cut all the frames and stringers out, raised the transom up for a 20" shaft, 25HP motor.

I just finished laying the glass inside the hull and ready to tape in stringers and frames. Once I figure out how to post pictures I'll start posting what it looks like.
OrangeQuest
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Re: Bayou City skiff.

Post by OrangeQuest »

What it looked like when I brought it back to Houston.

What it looks like after cutting out the bench seat frames and finish taping and glassing the bottom.

Transom raised back up and reinforced.
Coastal Country
TKF 6000 Club
TKF 6000 Club

Post by Coastal Country »

This ought to be good, love them little Bayou skiffs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
OrangeQuest
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by OrangeQuest »

Coastal Country wrote:This ought to be good, love them little Bayou skiffs.
I hope it turns out good too!

Very slow right now, weekend was the big Houston kayak race and you can see in the picture all the kayaks that needed to get cleaned up and ready. Start of the kayak season for us and we are getting very busy. Very little time for the build and the next few steps need careful planning for all the storage lockers, bait well and live well that will use some of the frame work.

Putting a bigger motor on her so it can pull kayaks, canoes and possible a few barges when used for clean ups, search and rescue operations. When the boat is not used for work hope it is a fishing machine!
Coastal Country
TKF 6000 Club
TKF 6000 Club

Post by Coastal Country »

I wouldn’t put a livewell in it but use a igloo ice chest as one. That way when not needed it can stay at home

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
OrangeQuest
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by OrangeQuest »

Want to keep the interior of the boat clean. Plans are to even have tackle lockers so no boxes to trip over.

Both the live well and bait well will be filled when needed, no extra ice to lug around all day. Because the console will be more forward than normal, when solo can add that extra weight to the live well to trim the boat out. The design of the live well will be a flow through/recirculate for when the boat is out of the water. Also both the bait well and live well will use aerator heads with remote air intake to increase/ replace fresh air when out of water. Crazy part is a single pump will operate both wells but requires 5 control valves. Will be a pumping night mare to get them all in the "control valve locker" but careful planning now will make it easier.....I hope!
https://flow-rite.com/products/marine/a ... mh-pja-120
OrangeQuest
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by OrangeQuest »

Here is a rough drawing of how the wells will work. Only thing that is not in the drawing are the two flow control valves to control flow to either well.

OrangeQuest
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by OrangeQuest »

Sanding, sanding, sanding, sanding, sanding, sanding, sanding, sanding, sanding, sanding, sanding, sanding, sanding and more sanding.

I am sanding inside to hull to prep for installing and taping in the stringers and then the frames....lots of sanding for good bond.
kickingback
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by kickingback »

:clap:
OrangeQuest
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by OrangeQuest »

I can still feel the FG dust on my arms and neck!!! :cry: :cry: :cry: