PB Flounder from Kayak - 27" - 10.2 lbs

JMiller

PB Flounder from Kayak - 27" - 10.2 lbs

Post by JMiller »

Just wanted to share some photos of this incredible Galveston flounder that I caught and released on 3/3/2018. My digital scale was showing 10.2 lbs. Caught on a 7 inch live shrimp.
BF100012 - Edited.JPG
27.00in flounder_TAG-1002.JPG
FR100016.JPG
Thunderbirdsc

Re: PB Flounder from Kayak - 27" - 10.2 lbs

Post by Thunderbirdsc »

Nice flounder. How did it tug on the line? Did you know it was a beast right from the hookset?
kickingback
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by kickingback »

Very nice flattie! Congrats!!!
Fishtolive

Post by Fishtolive »

Wow! 27”. That is a giant.
Congratulation on catching that monster
TroutSupport.com
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Post by TroutSupport.com »

Awesome work.. perfectly executed during the spring flounder return. Good Job and nice work on the release!!!
JMiller

Post by JMiller »

Thunderbirdsc wrote:Nice flounder. How did it tug on the line? Did you know it was a beast right from the hookset?
I knew it was monster even before I set the hook. Fought like a sack of potatoes until it saw the net, then made a dive 17 feet down to the bottom and didn't want to come back up.
Work2Fish

Post by Work2Fish »

Wow that's a thing of beauty! Been like 3 whole months since I wet a line, I'm due!
Crusader

Post by Crusader »

JMiller wrote:Just wanted to share some photos of this incredible Galveston flounder that I caught and released on 3/3/2018. My digital scale was showing 10.2 lbs. Caught on a 7 inch live shrimp.
Are you tagging them? Why? Also, why no tag on 2nd pic?

Nice fish, indeed.
YakRunabout

Post by YakRunabout »

Excellent!! Congrats!!!
:clap: :clap: :clap:
JMiller

Post by JMiller »

Crusader wrote:
JMiller wrote:Just wanted to share some photos of this incredible Galveston flounder that I caught and released on 3/3/2018. My digital scale was showing 10.2 lbs. Caught on a 7 inch live shrimp.
Are you tagging them? Why? Also, why no tag on 2nd pic?

Nice fish, indeed.
Yes, A&M is doing an extensive study on the movement of flounder in Galveston Bay. I'm only putting the external tags on the fish. I usually tag the fish after measuring it. A&M has implanted about 40 or so internal tags in the flounder with receivers setup all across Galveston Bay to end of the jetties to track their movement. The data that has been retrieved from the receivers is very interesting.

The most interesting recapture report of an externally tagged flounder has been a fisherman recapturing a one this past November in Espiritu Santo Bay. That fish was originally tagged in Galveston Harbor about 2 weeks prior.

A&M should be publishing the report in another year or so.
Drifting Yak
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Drifting Yak »

What What What! WOW! Congrats!
Crusader

Post by Crusader »

JMiller wrote: Yes, A&M is doing an extensive study on the movement of flounder in Galveston Bay. I'm only putting the external tags on the fish. I usually tag the fish after measuring it. A&M has implanted about 40 or so internal tags in the flounder with receivers setup all across Galveston Bay to end of the jetties to track their movement. The data that has been retrieved from the receivers is very interesting.

The most interesting recapture report of an externally tagged flounder has been a fisherman recapturing a one this past November in Espiritu Santo Bay. That fish was originally tagged in Galveston Harbor about 2 weeks prior.

A&M should be publishing the report in another year or so.
Wow... that is quite a distance. I would really like to read that study once it is complete. Do you know where public will be able to access it?
Dandydon
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Dandydon »

Beautiful flounder, Miller! Too bad it wasn't caught during the annual CCA Fishing tournament in effect all Summer! That hog would have undoubtedly won the Flounder division, good for a new powerboat or something real special.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
karstopo
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by karstopo »

That’s a monster flounder. The study sounds really interesting.
TimmyT140

Post by TimmyT140 »

That's not a flounder, that's a baby halibut! :shock:
Yaklash
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Post by Yaklash »

Wow!! I wonder about whether that flounder ever went to the Gulf this winter. Deep water like where I think you caught her will hold them through winter. Now I'm super curious to see where she ends up caught the next time.
Chubs

Post by Chubs »

Awesome fish. So what are you supposed to do if you catch a tagged fish?
JMiller

Post by JMiller »

Yaklash wrote:Wow!! I wonder about whether that flounder ever went to the Gulf this winter. Deep water like where I think you caught her will hold them through winter. Now I'm super curious to see where she ends up caught the next time.
I'm confident that a lot of flounder spawn in or around the deep ship channels and harbors near major passes and just stick around for a very long time through the winter and early spring. There's no reason for them to leave. Always bait, always good current and water clarity is phenomenal year round in some areas.

The flounder I was tagging in December and January almost all had eggs. It was interesting when I recaptured the same fish a week or month later in the exact same spots and were empty, much thinner and covered in sea lice. But, a majority of the bigger fish I kept in February and 1 in March were still holding eggs. This fish was very heavy, but I'm pretty sure it was just a thick fish with no eggs.
Chubs wrote:Awesome fish. So what are you supposed to do if you catch a tagged fish?
There's a phone number on the tag to call and report the tag #, date of catch and location where you caught it.
Crusader wrote: Wow... that is quite a distance. I would really like to read that study once it is complete. Do you know where public will be able to access it?
I'm not sure where it will be posted, but if I find out I'll post a link on TKF. But it will not be for awhile... The batteries in the internal tags last 2-2.5 years, so lots of data to be collected, plus the 1,000 externals swimming around.
JMiller

Post by JMiller »

Chubs wrote:Awesome fish. So what are you supposed to do if you catch a tagged fish?
Also, be sure to report the length of the fish. A few of the 14"-16" fish I tagged in May, were recaptured in November/December and grew 2-3 inches.
Chubs

Post by Chubs »

If they are caught, should they be released back to the wild? Is that a fishing taboo to keep a tagged fish? Obviously you couldn't collect any more data on them. Just curious, I've never seen one but I'd probably release it back if it continues to help research.
JMiller

Post by JMiller »

They can be kept, but I encourage everyone to release them. The more recaptures, the more data. I'm trying to tag a lot of 14"-16" fish that people are more likely to release. If you catch a fish with a yellow tag, please let that one go if it's in good condition because it has an internal transmitter.