spillway or??? lol

screwston420

spillway or??? lol

Post by screwston420 »

cant sleep must fish... think ill hit the hl&p spillway in the yak today... nevr fished it.. anyone fished it lately? ive been to the park a few times so i know about the big hill/ramp/cliff, TPWD fish report says its good... got a few crabs leftover from my skunking yesterday in galveston, caught them in that little ditch on 8 mile after u turn off stewart... that ditch also holds my daughters phone i lost out of my pocket lmao... any tips suggestions or other places that may be good?.... ive been fishing alot this year and only caught 2 undersized reds... plenty largemouth bass tho... seems thats all i can catch :( been skunked bad on the saltwater and fresh just doesnt appeal to me much anymore after i started saltwater fishing
Mulligan

Re: spillway or??? lol

Post by Mulligan »

That spillway can get crowded with power boats. When I fished near the spillway, not a bump. We went further NE to the Red Bayou outlet and caught some good size reds and some channel cats on cut mullet. Good luck!
Dandydon
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Dandydon »

The fishing over there can be good when it's not crowded with powerboats (like most good-weather weekends). But that horrible steep hill makes it hard to lug your kayak & gear down to the rocky launch area, even with yak-cart wheels. For that reason I don't kayak-fish over there anymore.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
screwston420

Post by screwston420 »

thanks guys i eneded up wade fishing at ft anahuac.. lost a monster flounder.. had to be pushin 10 lbs. i actually saw the fish so no guessing on what it was. then wednesday i blew a head gasket in my truck so im fixing that now... no kayak fishing till then :(
bowhntr1

Re: RE: Re: spillway or??? lol

Post by bowhntr1 »

screwston420 wrote:thanks guys i eneded up wade fishing at ft anahuac.. lost a monster flounder.. had to be pushin 10 lbs. i actually saw the fish so no guessing on what it was. then wednesday i blew a head gasket in my truck so im fixing that now... no kayak fishing till then :(
Hey screw
Keep at it in your yak. I was the same way with mine. Try Christmas bay area, I've had good luck there. Also, top of chocolate bay off 2004 (right as you cross bridge, turn right to boat launch). Haven't fished the HL&P spillway... care to share location of it? From post hill is a booger, but perhaps another way to get to it?? Pic of chocolate bay
20180309_101055.jpg
20180309_101055.jpg (31.15 KiB) Viewed 3137 times
GOPR0079.JPG
Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
Cuervo Jones
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by Cuervo Jones »

Man, when I first started fishing the Texas coast, I couldn’t even catch a cold. I just kept paddling, looking for ANYTHING and casting a lot. I even resorted to gulp under a popping cork (the SHAME). Started catching redfish and flounder on jigs and plastics at some key spots. Made note of them in my cranium. Started finding schools of reds and seeing how they behaved. Then started catching trout. Experimenting, reading, time on the water, more reading, more paddling. I’m antisocial and have no friends, otherwise I’d probably have been able to tag along and shorten my learning curve. But I enjoy doing things the hard way. It builds character. Keep at it. Paddle more. Fish less. Keep looking. Keep learning.

Crusader

Post by Crusader »

screwston420 wrote:thanks guys i eneded up wade fishing at ft anahuac.. lost a monster flounder.. had to be pushin 10 lbs. i actually saw the fish so no guessing on what it was. then wednesday i blew a head gasket in my truck so im fixing that now... no kayak fishing till then :(
How was the water in Anahuac pocket? Any clarity or salt in it?
screwston420

Post by screwston420 »

Cuervo Jones wrote:Man, when I first started fishing the Texas coast, I couldn’t even catch a cold. I just kept paddling, looking for ANYTHING and casting a lot. I even resorted to gulp under a popping cork (the SHAME). Started catching redfish and flounder on jigs and plastics at some key spots. Made note of them in my cranium. Started finding schools of reds and seeing how they behaved. Then started catching trout. Experimenting, reading, time on the water, more reading, more paddling. I’m antisocial and have no friends, otherwise I’d probably have been able to tag along and shorten my learning curve. But I enjoy doing things the hard way. It builds character. Keep at it. Paddle more. Fish less. Keep looking. Keep learning.

lol yea i dont have any friends anymore like when iwas younger plus im an only child im used to being alone and then i have my wife n 3 daughters haha all the friends i need... my old friends got me in trouble alot with the law, if i hadnt met my wife at the exact time i did id be in prison right now. and youre totally right.. need to paddle more, i fish at every site of a jumping mullet it seems lmaoi will keep that in mind!
screwston420

Re: RE: Re: spillway or??? lol

Post by screwston420 »

bowhntr1 wrote:
Hey screw
Keep at it in your yak. I was the same way with mine. Try Christmas bay area, I've had good luck there. Also, top of chocolate bay off 2004 (right as you cross bridge, turn right to boat launch). Haven't fished the HL&P spillway... care to share location of it? From post hill is a booger, but perhaps another way to get to it?? Pic of chocolate bayGOPR0079.JPG20180309_101055.jpg

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
FOR SURE, HERE YA GO https://www.google.com/maps/@29.7549373 ... a=!3m1!1e3
screwston420

Post by screwston420 »

Crusader wrote:
VERY FRESH
https://www.tidesandcurrents.noaa.gov/o ... ty_nowcast

CHOCOLATE MILk.. :(
Crusader

Post by Crusader »

Huh... I guess, I'll wait for few more years :-)
Yaklash
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Post by Yaklash »

Crusader wrote:
A month ago, Trinity had recovered to near normal salinity levels. Took a long time after Harvey, but it had gotten back to where only Jack's Pocket was sweet. No mas, baby. These Dallas area floods of the last few weeks have sweetened up the entire bay again. And I would assume the upper end at the mouth of the river is none too clear either. The animation below shows surface salinity only, so there is hope that it will make a quicker recovery from this batch of fresh water than it did after Harvey.

https://www.tidesandcurrents.noaa.gov/o ... ty_nowcast
Crusader

Post by Crusader »

I am not sure what "normal salinity level" is for that area anymore. Few months ago I've spoken to a guide and he told me that trout is returning to Trinity and they started catching them as before (on wells, etc), but they are nowhere near the numbers they've been before these floods that started few years ago.

I hope it will become better in 6 months. I still remember seeing "almost trout-green" water in Anahuac pocket on a good day.