Prism question.........

Krash

Prism question.........

Post by Krash »

Why did Perception quit making the Prism?
I have never seen anybody post anything bad about them.I even saw a post below that someone said it was the best SOT ever made.
I'm just curious why they would replace it with another model if it was such a good seller.
Thanks
Flavio
TKF 4000 Club
TKF 4000 Club

Post by Flavio »

Because they're dumb. :wink:
Actually, perception's bread and butter are the white water kayaks. They used to make the swing, which I own, and it is a very good kayak at 13'2". Very maneuverable and sort of quick. They discontinued that one too. I've written them to complain about their choices and to ask that they make a new and better fishing kayak. Who knows whether they'll listen or not. Meanwhile, WS will continue to kick their butts in the fishing department.
CaptJack
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Post by CaptJack »

The Prism has a well designed rounded bottom and is a great performer for a SOT- it also has a low freeboard, which gives it a low wind profile- very good on the bays.
Because of the rounded bottom it isn't the most stable yak for beginners- it's really for more advance paddlers. It has a great seat for all paddlers, is relatively a dry ride for it's low freeboard. It is very fast for a 14' plastic SOT. They built the boat for over 10yrs.
About 4 years ago the ScupperPro came out with the tankwell model and many of the people fishing Prisms could see the advantage of the open tankwell for coolers, boxes, rod holders, etc. so the market share for the Prism began to fall for some of the newer boats that were coming out.
Boats like the Fish&Dive, Drifter, Ride started coming out. They were designed to be more stable for the beginner paddler and gave the convenience of the tankwell for deck gear- but gave up performance and increased in weight.
When the Prism began to loose sales Perception looked at it and decided to re-design it- it became the Illusion.
I've paddled the Illusion and I've paddled many Prisms. My favorite Prism is a 10+yr old one that belongs to a good friend. It's from the original mold- has the old style angled scuppers and is made out of harder and thicker poly than the later Prisms and the Illusions & Biminis.
A Bimini is nothing more than an Illusion with an open deck recess for open deck storage and the rear hatch moved aft.
If Perception still made their poly boats like those original Prisms it would still have much more of their old market share that they lost to WS & OK.
Krash

Very informative.........

Post by Krash »

Somehow I knew that CaptJack would weigh in with a ton of good info.What's funny is Barnacle Bill also told me Saturday that the Prism was made for an advanced kayaker.I have been very comfortable in it.I have had some close calls and even been sideways in the surf and have been able to keep it upright till I get corrected.I have talked to two of the previous owners and they both said it was easy to flip.I guess I'm doing okay so far.Thanks again
MarkT
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by MarkT »

I am the original owner of one of those 10+ year old Prisms. Like CaptJack said, it does have a proper rounded bottom and good hull design. I use thigh straps with mine that make it easier for me to lean the boat to turn and to compensate for weather cocking. I think one reason that they changed the design might have been because the self bailing scuppers never worked as designed. The original Prism has two scupper holes that came with one-way ping pong ball valves that were supposed to minimize water seepage into the boat when it was stationary, and then, through the venturi principle, drain water out of the boat when underway. The venturi effect was produced by the front half of the keel (up to the point where the scupper holes are located) being about an inch lower than the continuation to the keel behind it. Under the right conditions of glassy water and good forward speed the scuppers kind of worked, but the effect was not dramatic enough to make a difference, and having just two small scupper holes limited the speed of passive drainage of water from the hull. The next generation of Prism had more scupper holes and, I believe, a somewhat flatter bottom.

The original Prism might have a little less primary stability than other sit-on-tops, but it is still a very stable boat that allows you to easily drift fish sideways with both legs thrown over the same side. The only time I've ever turned over in mine was when playing around in some breaking surf.

Mark
Lefty Ray
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Lefty Ray »

It was some time ago but in speaking with one of their reps he mentioned that the mold was worn out and rather than redo it, they changed the design and thus the Illusion was born.

They did loose some market share to yaks with rear tankweels, but that feature was never a draw to me. All of my long time kayakings friends all have Prisms including myself.

The Prism in my opinion is the fastest SOT. By fast I mean it will get from Point A to Point B with less effort compared to other kayaks. Yes, stability is not its best feature but stability is not a concern in 15 inches of water. I also have no desire to stand up in it. I have paddled many other yaks and am always looking for a better boat. So far I have not found one.

Stability, although important, has not been a big issue. Over the last 2 seasons only one client has rotated and gotten wet. I also believe he would fall of a tricycle. The important fact is that most of my clients who paddled my Prism were 1st timers or outright rookies. They are also less tired after paddling all day compared to paddling the Ride.

Concerning the drain holes, I use rubber plugs and this keeps water out of my seat. My shorts typically do not get wet during the course of a normal day, periods of high tide being the exception. I do pull the plugs and drain the water from time to time and this prevents from sloshing up into the seat area and creting a "wet butt."

Once I save up my pennies I expect to buy a used Prism rather than one of the newer boats.
CaptJack
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Post by CaptJack »

10-4 Ray
I totally agree...
:D
Birdsnest
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by Birdsnest »

I had heard that the low profile of the Prism, was actually one of the issues that influenced the redesign for the Illusion. Per my understanding, the low freeboard was great if you were a lighter paddler, but if you went over say 180 pounds, the low profile tended to take on water over the sides when the paddler leaned. Capt Jack, Lefty, Wetluers - you guys ever have problems with this? Anyway, supposedly this was the reason for the high sides on the Illusion. As a light paddler I can attest to the fact that the Illusion is a great boat in low wind, but at 15+ winds, it loses it's stroke. After purchasing the Illusion and paddling for a few years (and paddling other boats).... I like the Prism better and would trade out my Illusion for one instantly.
wetluers

Prism

Post by wetluers »

I'm a bit over 200#'s. Never had a problem with taking on water while in a lean with my Prism. I imagine any SOT yak could if you leaned enough and/or in chop. Even if it did, I'm not one that places any emphasis on maintaining a dry butt. One thing I have noticed, and this ties into anchor questions, the low wind profile of the Prism has allowed me to use 1.5Kg, folding anchors. Have never had the anchor fail to hold the yak regardless of wind velocity, and the folding type are sure space-savers and are coveiniant. I often anchor and wade off from my yak. I just take a second to stomp the anchor down good on the bottom. Always been there when I returned. Knock-on-wood!
CaptJack
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Post by CaptJack »

Birdsnest- I'm 6'5"250# and have never had a problem with water over the sides of a Prism?
Newt
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Post by Newt »

I have a neighbor who's Capt Jacks height. But probably beats him in pounds. He has an OLD Prism. He bought a Tarpon 16. Guess which one he uses most of the time?
Birdsnest
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by Birdsnest »

Capt Jack, Wetluers,

Thanks. Firsthand information from folks with no particular bias always carries a little more weight with me.
Chip Pitcairn

Post by Chip Pitcairn »

My wife and I both have prisms. I am 6'1" and 275+ and don't have problems with shipping water over the sides. I do use scupper plugs. My only complaint is draft. I need about 9" of water to float my prism. At the
Expo in Aransas Pass I tried the Bimini and it drew 71/2" +. The Tarpon 16
drew less than 6". I've been toying with the idea of buying a T16 and will probably rent one and fish it a few days before I buy.
Chip Pitcairn
Chip Pitcairn

Post by Chip Pitcairn »

No comments on my last post about draft? How importamnt is draft in selecting a kayak? I don't see it mentioned much but after spee/ease of paddling it is my #2 criteria.
Chip Pitcairn
Lefty Ray
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Lefty Ray »

Daft has not been a problem with my Prism. Typically we are in 15 inches of water so it does not matter how much is below the waterline.

One thing I have noticed is that the boats that sit higher on the water also get bounced around by the wind and waves. I like to think my boat sits "in" the water rather than "on" the water. This will allow for paddling in a straighter manor (with or without rudder) rather than a zig zag path cause the wind is pushing on it.

Also the nose on some of these boats are actualy up above the water and stick up high into the air which causes drag while paddling.

Here are some pictures with typicall sized men in them.

Prism

Tarpon

Tarpon

Ride

prismfisher

Prism

Post by prismfisher »

I have a ws 140 and a prism. When taking clients or friends out, I use the prism and let them use the 140. I agree with the take on wind (just talke to canoe sports and they will tell you that is why they designed it) and it is definitly faster. I also find the quality of the molding better. Fishing from the prism is good as well however using a milk crate on board certainly makes it a sail boat. I find I have to lighten my load and take a wade box with me. Less is more in that case.
Mullet Key

Re: Prism question.........

Post by Mullet Key »

I'm hijacking this Perception Prism thread to get the ball rolling for a "20 years and counting" PACK* anniversary party this June 19th. We're making contact with those folks in SE Texas who helped introduce the sport to all of us. It will be held the same evening as our monthly meeting at the Mendenhall Community Center 1414 Wirt Rd; Houston. Starting at 6 PM. Food will be served, fishing lies swapped and good times for all. Covered dishes are welcome. Sorry, adult beverages are not permitted at the center, an after party is planned nearby.

AND, what I'm really hoping for, is to assemble a scrolling photo show of kayak fishing photos from 15 to more years ago. Shots of crude, early adaptive gear are highly prized! Reply here ok or send to mullet_key@hotmail.com

More in the coming months, I'll ask the moderators for a sticky. Chris Arceneaux 2018 president *Paddling Anglers in Canoes and Kayaks, www.packtx.org
Neumie
Site Admin

Post by Neumie »

My 2003 WS The Ride; still own it and still use the same crate and seat. The paddle is long gone, as is the cooler. Added an anchor trolley to the starboard side. Own three other kayaks and all are essentially rigged the exact same; simple.

larry long shadows
TKF 4000 Club
TKF 4000 Club
Location: East Houston May the wind be to your back when you Yak

Post by larry long shadows »

Mullet Key

Post by Mullet Key »

Nice Ride, got the photo saved
Cuervo Jones
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by Cuervo Jones »

This brings back memories. My first kayak was a Cobra tandem that my wife and I bought in Key Largo in 2002. My first fish from said yak was a barracuda on a Carl Richards bay anchovy fly. Good times.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yaklash
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Post by Yaklash »

Each of the three times I have noticed this resurrected thread, I had to remind myself that it is a retread and that it currently doesn't have anything to do with a Perception Prism.

But while I am at it, if anyone might possibly be interested in acquiring one (read Capt Jack's description way up the page), I have one in pretty good shape sitting unused (I do what kayaking I do down at Shoalwater where I have another kayak). The one big downside to this model is the lack of an open tank well. It never bothered me because I travel with so little gear and didn't want the temptation of being able to carry a milk crate or an ice chest. It also does not have a rudder. It's not a stable craft but man it goes fast and is quiet as they come.

Anybody interested?