What's your funniest moment on the water?

Ultrastealth
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

What's your funniest moment on the water?

Post by Ultrastealth »

Mine was a few years ago in Anahuac. I was in my tandem with my son, who was about 8 years old at the time. My buddy was fishing in his yak about 50 yards away. All of the sudden, I hear "Pfffffftshhhhhhhhhhh!" then lots of cursing. My son starts laughing uncontrollably. I look over at my buddy, and his PFD had autoinflated. All that I could see above all the yellow was his hat. I thank God for the levity, because the fish were apparently on another part of the planet. I wouldn't trade experiences like that for anything. :lol:
Crusader

Re: What's your funniest moment on the water?

Post by Crusader »

... when I stepped on alligator while wading very muddy waters
Yaklash
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Post by Yaklash »

Ultrastealth wrote:Mine was a few years ago in Anahuac. I was in my tandem with my son, who was about 8 years old at the time. My buddy was fishing in his yak about 50 yards away. All of the sudden, I hear "Pfffffftshhhhhhhhhhh!" then lots of cursing. My son starts laughing uncontrollably. I look over at my buddy, and his PFD had autoinflated. All that I could see above all the yellow was his hat. I thank God for the levity, because the fish were apparently on another part of the planet. I wouldn't trade experiences like that for anything. :lol:
I have some buddies who would pull each other's inflatable chord for fun. I made it clear it would not be fun for them if they deployed mine....but one eventually did anyway. Bastard.... :x :lol:
Yaklash
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Post by Yaklash »

So my favorite funny fishing story was mid-90s, when we did a lot of offshore fishing. Out there in that beautiful, blue water, in that July heat and no wind, we'd often take a dip to cool off (out away from any rigs, other boats, grass lines or chum lines). Once, when the rest of us had gotten back into the boat, one guy continued to swim around. Then he did a porpoise dive, except instead of a dorsal, there was his bare ass, no swimsuit and he was soft-serving a big turd, straight up into the air. I liked to died laughing and my ribs were hurting for an hour after that. Good times with Solo.
Neumie
Site Admin

Post by Neumie »

This one time when.....you know what, just lock this thread; Yaklash won this.
kickingback
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by kickingback »

Oh I don't know...I was 17 and a Junior in high school when a few of my buddies got together a trip on a party boat out of Galveston for snapper. We sloshed our way out to the deep waters and wouldn't you know it someone gets sick. Now as we left I used one of the toilets in the men's room and had no issues. Half way out with everyone tossing cookies the entire men's room floor was soaked in upchuck from at least a dozen or more happy fishermen. The boat would toss on the waves and you could watch through the door all the muck sloshing back and forth and people trying to stand in there adding more to the carnage. I watched all three of my friends get sick and go into that hell hole one by one. I never got sick! I think there was maybe one other on the boat besides me and the two of us were laughing the entire trip trying not to lean over the rail anywhere not the bow as anyone leaning over the side chumming the water, the wind and waves would wash all that lovely debris all down the side of the boat and anyone leaning over to enjoy the fresh air! I still laugh at the pictures in my mind!
Tombo

Post by Tombo »

Quality vs quantity.
My brother and I on our first offshore fishing trip, Oceanside CA aboard the Big Mac. We picked a position near the bow not knowing its the worst place to be when things get rough, but it was closest to the men's room. Cruising in the harbor on our way out, this young kid races toward the bathroom only to find it locked. He then threw up on my brothers potato sack. We figured the next couple hours was going to be rough on this poor kid.
After bobbing up and down at the bow watching my fishing rod dip into the water only to raise several feet into the air when the wave passed us by proved too much for my sea legs.
After couple rounds of this, brother making fun of me as brother's often do. He finally succumbed to the pressures of stomach.
Looked like one of those Three Stooges episodes where they use a big hose to mimic inhuman like projectile.
My comment to him, "I had no idea your mouth could open that wide".
TroutSupport.com
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Post by TroutSupport.com »

I took a buddy of mine to fish SLP from my boat... I 'expertly' parked the boat at the edge of a sandbar and gave the anchor a little rope.. my buddy get's out of the boat in waste deep water. Tide was going out so I didn't want to be on the shallowest part of the bar or anything.. well just as I was throwing both feet over in an aggressive deploy (this was summertime wading wet) my buddy is like "wait!!! " just in time for him to see my head disappear under the water ;-) LOL... Apparently I parked right on the edge of the drop off with his side being on the shallow side and my side being in 6' of water. LOL.. perfect park!!!
Ultrastealth
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Ultrastealth »

TroutSupport.com wrote:I took a buddy of mine to fish SLP from my boat... I 'expertly' parked the boat at the edge of a sandbar and gave the anchor a little rope.. my buddy get's out of the boat in waste deep water. Tide was going out so I didn't want to be on the shallowest part of the bar or anything.. well just as I was throwing both feet over in an aggressive deploy (this was summertime wading wet) my buddy is like "wait!!! " just in time for him to see my head disappear under the water ;-) LOL... Apparently I parked right on the edge of the drop off with his side being on the shallow side and my side being in 6' of water. LOL.. perfect park!!!
There's no slope to those guts behind the pass. Some of them go from 6" to 8' in one step.
osorojotx

Post by osorojotx »

I was wading in POC and catching some decent fish. As I released the spool and casted my Skitter Walk, I noticed a low-flying pelican out of the corner of my eye. I knew right then that the two were on a collision course. I winced tighter and tighter as the two flew at each other in perfect harmony and tried to prepare for the fight of my life. My suspicions were validated about a second later and as the pelican continued in flight, I tried to figure out what to do. Line started spooling out so I thumbed down on the spool. We both knew something had gone terribly wrong and he landed and proceeded to flap and thrash violently. He settled and I dragged him back to the boat where my uncle was. It took him a while to figure out what was going on, but once he saw the rod bent backwards and the pelican bobbing behind me, he died laughing. He grabbed the bird by the massive beak and fought it for a few seconds while trying to unhook the trebles and untangle the line. Once the pelican was free, he let it go and the bird proceeded to vomit a whole mullet onto his shirt.

I learned that day that hunting is not the only sport that requires you be aware of what's down range.
Ultrastealth
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Ultrastealth »

osorojotx wrote:I was wading in POC and catching some decent fish. As I released the spool and casted my Skitter Walk, I noticed a low-flying pelican out of the corner of my eye. I knew right then that the two were on a collision course. I winced tighter and tighter as the two flew at each other in perfect harmony and tried to prepare for the fight of my life. My suspicions were validated about a second later and as the pelican continued in flight, I tried to figure out what to do. Line started spooling out so I thumbed down on the spool. We both knew something had gone terribly wrong and he landed and proceeded to flap and thrash violently. He settled and I dragged him back to the boat where my uncle was. It took him a while to figure out what was going on, but once he saw the rod bent backwards and the pelican bobbing behind me, he died laughing. He grabbed the bird by the massive beak and fought it for a few seconds while trying to unhook the trebles and untangle the line. Once the pelican was free, he let it go and the bird proceeded to vomit a whole mullet onto his shirt.

I learned that day that hunting is not the only sport that requires you be aware of what's down range.
A few weeks ago, I made a cast alongside a pier that some seagulls were sitting on. Right on cue, they took off, and one flew right into my braid. That in and of itself was a problem, but it was compounded when he turned and flew to the other side of the pier then hit the water. I had to paddle to my side of the decking, lay my rod with my brand new Concept Z on top of the pier, so that I could paddle under it and the gull and I would be on the same side. All the while, the bird is trying its damnedest to pull rod, reel and all into the water before I could get on the other side. I managed to catch the rod as he dragged it across. Then, of course, it became a jousting match between me, my pliers, and that exceptionally angry bird's beak. Despite his total lack of cooperation, I got him off with only minor scaring to the two of us.
Zackthefisherman

Post by Zackthefisherman »

In high school, my best friends (twins) uncle owned a fishing lodge in Venice, La. One summer I got to join them on their annual fishing trip down there. The first two days we were guided by an old salty cajun guide. He was a great guide and a very funny character. At one point he was helping my friend with backlash, and all three of us were cramped up on the bow of the boat. As I go back to cast everything suddenly stops, and I hear a scream followed by a string of cuss words. I know this sounds horrible but it was one of those moments where you can't stop laughing. Hooking him wasn't funny but all of the Cajun swear words were too much for me to handle. Luckily he wasn't to upset as the jig head popped right out. Apparently, the week before he had done the same thing to another guide, so he figured he had it coming. I know hooking someone isn't funny but the reaction cracked me up.
TroutSupport.com
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Post by TroutSupport.com »

Ultrastealth wrote:
TroutSupport.com wrote:I took a buddy of mine to fish SLP from my boat...
There's no slope to those guts behind the pass. Some of them go from 6" to 8' in one step.
Yep... it wasn't that though.. I've known that a long time, know the pass well, and I know exactly where they do and don't .. it was the incoming tide that swung the the back end of the boat and put me out past the edge... hell, I'm still laughing about it. If you can't laugh at yourself.....
krfish

Post by krfish »

Neumie wrote:This one time when.....you know what, just lock this thread; Yaklash won this.
Agree Image

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
shoffer
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by shoffer »

In upper Trinity, I hooked a nutria in the top of his head with a topwater and fought it until it snapped my rod in two.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
imaoldmanyoungsalt

Post by imaoldmanyoungsalt »

When I was a kid, I was fishing a pond on my grandfathers farm while he was shredding the pasture on the tractor. I was casting a silver spoon when a water moccasin started swimming across the pond. Since kids don't always think things completely through, I started casting my spoon at it all the while not knowing what in the world I was going to do if I actually hooked the stupid thing (and I'm calling the snake stupid!). Well of course I hooked it and then started trying to figure out what to do. I tried yanking hard on the line but that only set the hook deeper and caused the snake to start coming toward me. I began panicking and running sideways and backwards while trying to feed line off the reel to give it slack but it kept coming my way so I dropped the rod and reel and started running out into the pasture screaming for my grandfather who jumps off the tractor wondering what was wrong and maybe thinking I had been bitten by a snake. Anyway after calming me down we walked back over to the pond where the snake had almost dragged the rod into the water where he had now retreated and couldn't be seen. My grandfather walked over and pulled his pocket knife out, cut the line, handed me the pole and said "sorry son, but the lure now belongs to the snake". Later he said, What the HELL did you think you were going to do with a damned snake anyway!? I must've heard him tell that story a thousand times.
imaoldmanyoungsalt

Post by imaoldmanyoungsalt »

I have a second story similar to Yaks.
Several friends and I were on a friends boat at the lake drifting along, drinking and swimming, just having a good time. A couple of friends were swimming and one of them says " I gotta go to the bathroom". I said, well you're in the water, just pee. He says "I don't have to pee". So I said, "well your in the water just do it". He says "how do I wipe off"? I jokingly said, "use your hand and wash it off in the water." I guess he had more to drink than I did because he took me seriously and began to do his business. Suddenly he started yelling and hollering and we looked over saw and he was surrounded by floating "logs" if you know what I mean. Then he screams out "oh man there's one under my arm!!" We all died laughing and no one wanted to let him back in the boat!
Chubs

Post by Chubs »

Lol!
Dandydon
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Dandydon »

A few years ago I kayak-fished the Eagle Point area with Shoffer, Saltykat & Chicken. It was a bit windy & bad visibility with morning fog. Not being familiar w/ the area, we didn't notice the occasional rogue waves generated by big ship freighters in the ship channel behind us. Shoffer had stepped out of his kayak to adjust gear when one of those freighter waves hit him in the back & sent him sprawling. We all laughed our asses off & ended up catching only trash fish. Our last trip to that weird area.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
saltykat
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by saltykat »

It was a lot funnier from our point of view than it was from Shoffers :cat:
Dandydon
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Dandydon »

We miss you, Admiral Saltykat! Get your Michigan butt down here next month & help Shoffer & me win the "NIGHTTIME TOURNEY!" Put us on some big female trout like you used to. We need some help. Bring those red marker bouys! We'll gladly rent you an Outback or a swift Ocean FRENZY. Are you still fishing Lake Michigan? Come visit & feel free to stay at Shoffer's house, but no more than A MONTH, tops. I might crash over there, too. Shoffer's wife is learning to put up w/ me.
See you soon, Salty. Tight lines to you & loose brains forever! Yeah!
--Dandydon
Fishing Attorneys LLP
CowboyFan
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by CowboyFan »

I will start off with the "young and dumb" disclaimer. Me and a few buddies had set out some surf rods in SLP. My friend Frank was off a ways with a smaller rod fishing. I waded out to his surf rod's line and pulled like crazy. Frank ran back ( about 150 yards) to his rod expecting to fight a fish to see me waving at him from the water. It was pretty funny but maybe I should not have waded out into the pass.
Chubs

Post by Chubs »

Heh we could call that Mid aged and dumb, I did that to a buddy last year :)

This guy is extremely lazy.he basically casts his surf rod out and sits in his chair for the rest of the day, asking people to check his rod every so often. Wades maybe one time during the entire day. Eventually we just get frustrated at him and leave him be.

So I thought it would be funny to grab his line and jerk it around when I was wading one time. The look on his face was priceless when he was all excited and sprung off his chair, only to see me laughing my ass off at him and he got all mad :)
Rockclimber

Post by Rockclimber »

This goes back about 12 or 15 years ago when my son, brother and nephew were wade fishing with guide out of POC. My son was about 10 at the time and keeping pretty close to me in about waist deep water. Sometime that morning he saw a fin surface near us and almost jumped on my back. It was a dolphin of course but he stayed pretty tight to me the rest of day!