Best Standing Kayak

dfwvol

Best Standing Kayak

Post by dfwvol »

I am about to buy my first kayak, mainly for fishing. I have done quite a bit of research over the last few months, and keep coming back to the Predator MX as likely the best for standing. I am used to bass fishing out of a bass boat, and definitely want to have the ability to stand while fishing when needed. I also want enough stability to cast a fly rod from while standing. Are there any other kayaks I should be looking at other than the MX? Anyone with experience on the MX and standing?

Also, anywhere in the DFW area I can actually try an MX before buying it?

Thanks,
DFWVOL
karstopo
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Re: Best Standing Kayak

Post by karstopo »

dfwvol wrote:I am about to buy my first kayak, mainly for fishing. I have done quite a bit of research over the last few months, and keep coming back to the Predator MX as likely the best for standing. I am used to bass fishing out of a bass boat, and definitely want to have the ability to stand while fishing when needed. I also want enough stability to cast a fly rod from while standing. Are there any other kayaks I should be looking at other than the MX? Anyone with experience on the MX and standing?

Thanks,
DFWVOL
Looks good. The lower your feet are, the better the stability ought to be. Keep that in mind when choosing one. Don’t reject non-self bailing types as they tend to have a lower center of gravity. I’m not really up on what’s the latest and greatest, but I love standing and fishing from a kayak. My WS Commander 140 isn’t made any more, but it’s rock solid stable for casting while standing. I fly fish 98% of the time and it’s great for that with nothing to snag line at your feet.
Welderdude

Post by Welderdude »

Ocean Kayak and Old Town are made by Johnson Outdoors. Heard from one of their reps a few years back that the OK Big Game @ was a sturdier built boat with a firmer deck, but you also have the mod pod right in the middle of the deck. I loved my BG 2, but have moved into a Hobie PA12. Overall love it, but has a few quirks to me. I would check the Diablo line. Made in Austin and super sturdy.
karstopo
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by karstopo »

The Jackson Kilroy looks very good as a stand up stable fly fishing kayak. I haven’t seen one in person.
Camoitout

Post by Camoitout »

Check out the jacksons kayak mayfly and Big rig. I demo’d them Both and they are very good for standing but they are pretty heavy so keep that in mind depending on how you plan to transport your kayak
dfwvol

Post by dfwvol »

Thanks for all the good pointers. I'll check them all out on the web, and let you know what I end up doing.
Ron Mc
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by Ron Mc »

The pull-up lean bar that Hobie offers on the PA12 is a very nice touch, but even the pull-up line on the Diablo makes a big difference in standing. Have to agree the Diablo and Hobie PA are the two best stand up boats.
karstopo
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by karstopo »

dfwvol wrote:I am about to buy my first kayak, mainly for fishing. I have done quite a bit of research over the last few months, and keep coming back to the Predator MX as likely the best for standing. I am used to bass fishing out of a bass boat, and definitely want to have the ability to stand while fishing when needed. I also want enough stability to cast a fly rod from while standing. Are there any other kayaks I should be looking at other than the MX? Anyone with experience on the MX and standing?

Thanks,
DFWVOL
I wonder, since in the OP mentioned standing and fly fishing while standing in the kayak, how to keep the mirage drive from snagging loose fly line? Do y’all put a towel over the drive, remove the drive, use a basket, or employ some other method? Those foot pedal straps look like very able fly line grabbers.
Tombo

Post by Tombo »

My favorite kayak to stand on is the Native Versa. It was designed just for this purpose and is easier to transport in a boat.
Get the optional seat, it is almost necessary.
hd2001glide

Post by hd2001glide »

You can't go wrong with the Ocean Kayak Big Game 2. Try to pick up a newer model 2017-2018 model. Reasonably fast considering how wide the hull is. Ocean Kayak is one of the best quality kayaks on the market. I have a 260cm paddle and my Ocean Kayak BG2 is great. Highly recommend it.
DumpTruck

Post by DumpTruck »

I like the Predator PDL. I suppose it's similar to the mx. I think it is the best pedal drive kayak for standing in. Just more foot room to move around than any other pedal drive. Seems just as stable as a PA to me. Fish 360 degrees standing up.

If you're not into pedals, the nucanoe frontier is super stable and lots of open deck space for line stripping. Haven't tried the newer nucanoes (pun!) like the Flint. Might be an option.

Feelfree lure super stable too. Nice seat, walk around on it.
turf_doc1

Post by turf_doc1 »

Look at the nu canoe pursuit nice open deck, stable and drains well
OrangeQuest
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by OrangeQuest »

Have you considered a stand up paddle board? They are a lot lighter than most kayaks and get the right kind and you can take a cooler to sit on when needed. Most of them you can walk on and other than the cooler nothing to get fly line hung on. They are also very easy to step on and off of if you like to wade fish. You can also get shallow water skeg to go into skinny water. Seen a few guys that take them BTB too and then surf them in.
Tombo

Post by Tombo »

I will plug the Versa Board again. Drop down skeg, spring loaded so it does not hang up. The Native seat, very comfortable and rotates 360. Designed to stand and paddle, not bad paddling in the seated position. Can't think of another craft that can go as shallow.
Give it a try and tell us what you think.
hipshot
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club
Location: New Caney ............... OK Trident 13, Dagger Cayman, OK Torque, Soloskiff

Post by hipshot »

And, for what it's worth, a lot depends on YOU. As you get some time in with the kayak you will find that the feeling of instability quickly diminishes (at least it does for most folks). Some people can stand comfortably in a 28" wide SOT. Others are unable to do it in a 35" wide barge. Try a few kayaks before you spend money you will regret later; the stability to stand and cast comfortably may not be the primary criteria you want to consider, if that is indeed the case. Tombo's Versa Board recommendation would be a great one to look at. A friend of mine who keeps one of my kayaks at his house borrowed Tombo's Versa Board and loved it.