New to the hobby, First Kayak selection

Sea-Agg09

New to the hobby, First Kayak selection

Post by Sea-Agg09 »

I’m super excited to get into the hobby. I’m trying to decide on my first kayak.

I’m debating between the ocean kayak prowler 13 and the F&S shadow caster. Both are in my price range and offer some good features.

I live in Houston, so I’m going to be doing both fresh and salt. I would like to try some BTB at some point, but not for a while.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Cruisin_Cuda
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club
Location: Cypress, Tx- Earth JK Cruise, Urban Camo JK Cuda 14, Camo Hobie Outback

Re: New to the hobby, First Kayak selection

Post by Cruisin_Cuda »

go to a demo days....if you have to wait a little bit, it'll still be better than getting kayak you end up hating.
crusher

Post by crusher »

Just in case that first answer wasn't clear enough, I'll say the same thing - wait to purchase until you've paddled a couple or few so your purchase is based on more than other's opinions, posts, or marketing. Personally, I have a Trident which is basically the Prowler so I like that kayak, but that's not to say you'll like it. Lots of choices and no kayak fits all people's comfort or style.
Rent or borrow the first time or two out is also an option - ACK and FTU both rent.
karstopo
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by karstopo »

Everyone fishes in their own unique way and has individual tastes and needs. Best thing to do is figure out how you like to fish and then figure out what kayak best suits that rather than trying to get a kayak to conform to you. In other words, one person could say a particular kayak is really great while another could say the kayak is terrible and they would both be right.

Sometimes it's hard when you are starting out to know how you like to fish. If you can't answer that question, then some sort of general purpose kayak might work for a time until you figure out what you like to do. The demo days are great for getting a looksee at a lot of different models and trying them out.
mike holding

Post by mike holding »

I think ocean kayak prowler 13 is better as compared to F&S shadow caster. It is stable, reasonably rugged and built for anglers. Given that no kayak is a perfect fit for everyone. It is better that you rent each kayak first and experience it yourself before making any decision.
Irene

Post by Irene »

I agree with Mike, ocean kayak prowler 13 offers better built quality and stability. I also agree on renting a kayak before making an buying decision.