Father Son Fishing Trip ???

big D.

Father Son Fishing Trip ???

Post by big D. »

My son graduates high school this year and I’m trying to plan us an awesome fishing trip to celebrate! We have a boat for freshwater, but use our yaks for saltwater. I really like the idea of the chandelier islands, but it looks like a 10-12 person minimum. I want to go somewhere and stay 2-4 nights and fish/catch as much as possible. I don’t mind booking a guide for a day, but don’t want to pay one everyday. That’s why I like the chandelier island idea. You go out on a mother ship and take your own skiff or yak to the fishing grounds! You can fish all day if you want with no guides bringing you back after a limit.

Y’all got any other ideas or know of a chandelier island mothership offering trips for 2?

It will be in the summer and we prefer wade fishing.

Thanks!
Kayak Kid
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Re: Father Son Fishing Trip ???

Post by Kayak Kid »

You can't beat a fishing trip to the Chandeliers by mother ship. That would be hard to beat for a father son outing. I've fished there from both kayak and mothership pa's. Never had a trip that didn't produce excellent catches of reds and specs.

Lots of the guys wade fished with good results. I am not fond of sharks, of which there are plenty, so I stayed in the boats.
big D.

Post by big D. »

Did you go with a big group? I’m trying to find a way to go, but the charters I’ve found have 10 guy minimum price rates.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
big D.

Post by big D. »

Did you go with a big group?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
larry long shadows
TKF 4000 Club
TKF 4000 Club
Location: East Houston May the wind be to your back when you Yak

Post by larry long shadows »

Bet Dean at Slowride could fix you up guide you one day and let you run the trails on your own after that ..
Tombo

Post by Tombo »

Chandeliers, what a great place to fish with some one. Saw a fishing show this week based out of this place. Even my wife remembers how I talked about going there when we lived in Louisiana.
Keep Slowride in mind for a day trip and go fishing the next day or say from what Dean will teach you.
Kayak Kid
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Post by Kayak Kid »

It is possible to get a couple of births on a Chand. mother ship. Persistent calls to the skippers can turn up unfilled spaces on their boats. They can give you the names of people looking to fill a minimum requirement. My last trip there for two of us was put together in this way.

Two or three days of fishing in the Rockport/PA area ain't bad. There are several places to stay in Rockport that have their own lighted fishing piers. Fishing for specs under the lights each night with light weight spinning reels or more preferably fly rods is a hoot and a half. Combine that with one or two days fishing with Dean Thomas, a couple days kayak fishing on your own, and you've got a perfect father son fishing expedition......, for a lot less money than the Chand. will cost you.
Deuce

Post by Deuce »

Captian Dans Floating cabin out of corpus or bafin bay. Stay on a cabin out in the middle of the bay that has a generator to catch trout all night. In the morning catch reds in the marsh 200yrds away. I've done it twice and may/June would be a great time to catch fish.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
Deuce

Re: RE: Re: Father Son Fishing Trip ???

Post by Deuce »

Deuce wrote:Captian Dans Floating cabin out of corpus or bafin bay. Stay on a cabin out in the middle of the bay that has a generator to catch trout all night. In the morning catch reds in the marsh 200yrds away. I've done it twice and may/June would be a great time to catch fish.

Sorry, captain Carl's I mean.

Kayak Kid
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Post by Kayak Kid »

Deuce, you've come up with another great idea. We lived in Corpus for sixteen years, and more week-ends than I care to admit were spent on Baffin. This was before the good Captain's floating cabin, but we had the use of a perfectly located (albeit roach filled) cabin on the inner coastal. The night light fishing under lights was phenomenal. The Baffin Bay 'rocks' held enormous schools of 26inch plus specs and, the flats between the southern spoil islands and padre island always produced reds...,if you waded long and far enough.

Looks like you've got three good choices to mull over. Y'all have fun, ya' hear.
'