White Bass

pontoonman

Re: White Bass

Post by pontoonman »

Kayaks can be walked upstream around the Guad motorboat rapids, where you'll have the other upper river rapids to yourself - or you can drop down at Rebecca bridge. Water is low right now so there not be the large numbers of fish and the Portaging may be strenuous. Only caught a couple in an hour when I tried that in my lightweight tube a few months back, would be lots of dragging fatigue for a heavier kayak.

PM
Ron Mc
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by Ron Mc »

Chubs wrote:
Ron Mc wrote:
I've got to ask - where is Mueller falls? Google maps couldn't find it.

Our plan right now is to go via power boat Friday evening, Sat morning and/or evening, and Sunday morning. Probably not going to do all of that but that's the plan!

I suppose if it's wall to wall boats there on our 1st go we'll swap to kayaks for the next day.
between FM 311 and Rebecca's Creek Crossing - probably a mile upriver from Rebecca's Creek Crossing.
Though it's a good distance, if flows are high, floating down from 311 is feasible.
Right below the falls is a giant pool. There's a bat cave there, and the Trinity Aquifer sources water from the river there.
This was about 250 cfs
https://waterdata.usgs.gov/tx/nwis/uv/? ... 0065,00060
My buddy here is wading on a mushroom-shaped dolomite nob below the falls
and I agree - I would guess right now very few fish have gone past Rebecca's Creek, but even at the current 77 cfs, they will be able to move up. Because of the Trinity Aquifer taking up to 10 cfs from the river, Rebecca's Creek crossing is always the first place the Guadalupe stops running in severe drought.
chironomid

Post by chironomid »

Was the bump in flow this week enough to allow fish upstream, and, how far?
Chubs

Post by Chubs »

Wish I could have checked. Had my son's birthday though this weekend. Anyone get up there to canyon lake?
pontoonman

Post by pontoonman »

Yes, I made a quick round trip from Rebecca bridge downstream to just above motorboat limit rapids yesterday afternoon, took about 2 hours with the flow dropped down to 140. Whites are present in moderate numbers for that section, but it is not the run yet- the recent rains have made most rapids passable.

PM
Chubs

Post by Chubs »

Thanks for the update. I assume this was in a kayak?
screwston420

Post by screwston420 »

ive been tearin them up at big and little eddy at eisenhower park for the past couple weeks now...
sac-a-lait

Post by sac-a-lait »

Are you keeping those fish from the eddies. heard the water is contaminated below the dam.
pontoonman

Post by pontoonman »

[quote="Chubs"]Thanks for the update. I assume this was in a kayak?[/quote

A float tube works even with dry river sections to float or step down thru strong rapids going downriver and by portage upriver with backstraps around the same rapids. A kayak works down to about 100 flow rate if it can be portaged upriver for a couple of 30 yard sections for the return. Unfortunately I can't use a kayak or canoe anymore because of lower back issues.

PM