Places to fish in Portland area

bigred90gt

Places to fish in Portland area

Post by bigred90gt »

So, I’m staying in Portland and working in Ingleside for a bit. I should have Sunday off and am looking for a place to set a hook. The unfortunate part is I don’t have my kayak with me, so I will need somewhere I can fish from a bank.

I have been to Indian Point Pier a few times and no one has caught anything from there (including me) while I was out. I also fished from the bank over by the boat ramp on the opposite side of 181 from there, and didn’t get any bites (though I did sink knee deep in the mud).

If anyone has any good suggestions, I’m all ears. I’m not scared to drive a ways, but would prefer to limit that to less than an hour. Thanks in advance for any info.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Neumie
Site Admin

Re: Places to fish in Portland area

Post by Neumie »

CC beach near the USS Lexington is a good winter spot. The steel hull warms the water up around it.

Oso Bay where it empties into CC Bay. I'd wade the Oso side, there's lots of good channels and guts.
TroutSupport.com
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Post by TroutSupport.com »

Maybe Nueces bay off north of the bridge (from the east side of the bridge) or another might be Port Bay.. use google earth in those areas and look at access routes. Yaklash put a post up one time about using Google earth or also satellite view in the street view mode and actually digitally take roads from the highway and be able to see if there are gates or signs etc etc.

Hope that get's you into some water.

t
texnomad
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Post by texnomad »

Actually you could head into Aransas Pass and turn right on 361 and fish either side of the highway. I go down to Light House Lakes often and fish the channel in front of the park and the channel on the opposite side from the park. It never has been the best fishing but usually leads to some fun.
Neumie
Site Admin

Post by Neumie »

TroutSupport.com wrote:Maybe Nueces bay off north of the bridge (from the east side of the bridge) or another might be Port Bay.. use google earth in those areas and look at access routes. Yaklash put a post up one time about using Google earth or also satellite view in the street view mode and actually digitally take roads from the highway and be able to see if there are gates or signs etc etc.

Hope that get's you into some water.

t
Port Bay is a good winter spot and is accessed from Port Bay Rd. The bottom's not too soft. There are some old railroad trusses heading towards Swan Lake with a gut running down the middle, popular spot to wade out to.
bigred90gt

Post by bigred90gt »

I appreciate the suggestions everyone. I don’t have my waders either unfortunately.

bigred90gt

Post by bigred90gt »

texnomad wrote:Actually you could head into Aransas Pass and turn right on 361 and fish either side of the highway. I go down to Light House Lakes often and fish the channel in front of the park and the channel on the opposite side from the park. It never has been the best fishing but usually leads to some fun.
I may give this a go.