Lure Size Under What Conditions

texnomad
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Lure Size Under What Conditions

Post by texnomad »

A neighbor recently was told by a very good fisherman that he needed to use larger swimbaits than the three inch ones he has. when he went to the same pattern mfg and color in five inch swimbaits he started catching more and larger fish. This was a whole new experience for me. Can anyone explain the what size where of what happened? It was in Copano Bay for the last two days.
TexasJim

Re: Lure Size Under What Conditions

Post by TexasJim »

tn: Reading in the latest Saltwater Angler mag today, a couple of the guides said that with the colder water, the fish are lethargic, and you need to use larger baits, and work them a lot slower. Sounds like your friend experienced that.
I'll try that tomorrow, if the fog lifts and it gets warmer. And IF there is any water!
TexasJim
YakRunabout

Post by YakRunabout »

For the past month a 5" money minnow rigged weedless on a weighted twist lock has been friendly to me in deeper water (5-15') with trout up to 23", worked slow like TJ said
texnomad
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Post by texnomad »

I knew about the slower but the size consideration was a new item to me. Thanks folks for the help. Looks like I hit the tackle store in the morning for some 5 inch baits. Oh darn another tackle store visit.he he he
Neumie
Site Admin

Post by Neumie »

I agree. Probably 9 or 10 months out of the year I throw smaller baits (spook jrs, Bull minnows, DOA CAL) but will up the size (spooks, sand shad, BA) during the cooler months. It's also the only time I really throw corkies.
texnomad
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Post by texnomad »

It is sad in a way, 60 years of saltwater fishing before I run into bait size differences due to temps. On the other hand it shows that there is always something more to learn for an old fart.
TexasJim

Post by TexasJim »

Yeah,TN, remember: Women have always said, "Size Matters!" Catch 'em up. When the fog burns off, I'm yakkin' today.

TexasJim
texnomad
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Post by texnomad »

I am between yaks and trying to decide what model and size? My yaks has to handle marsh, open bay, the Rio Grande river from Falcon Lake through Elephant Butte Lake and Wheeler Lake/Tennessee river in Alabama. So many fish so little time.
imaoldmanyoungsalt

Post by imaoldmanyoungsalt »

I only get to fish the salt a couple times a year so I'm definitely not as experienced with saltwater species as most on here are but my experience with bass fishing in freshwater has always been that they tend to be very lethargic in the colder water and when they feed they want to spend as little energy as possible for the largest meal possible. So they would rather eat a big meal in one chase rather than several chases for smaller meals. When bass fishing in the cold of winter I use a lot of 10-12 inch worms and very large swim/crank baits fished very, very slowly. I figure fish are fish so saltwater species are probably the same.
Yaklash
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Post by Yaklash »

In winter, the baitfish are mostly all that remains in the bays, since the shrimp move out in the fall. Those baitfish tend to be larger at this point in the year. Bait and predators as cold blooded animals, slow down in colder conditions.

By going with larger baits and slowing your presentation, you are merely matching the hatch. Slowing down also gives the slowed down predators an easier time catching the bait.
texnomad
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Post by texnomad »

"Those baitfish tend to be larger at this point in the year." Now that match the hatch sort of thing makes a lot of sense to me. thank you.
redneckyakclub01
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by redneckyakclub01 »

The opposite holds true also. Watch the bait closely and you will see the smaller bait show up later this spring. Sometimes they will hit nothing but the tiny stuff. This is especially true when there are hoards of glass minnows or lots of tiny shrimp. Now, almost all the bait is larger finfish.
TroutSupport.com
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Post by TroutSupport.com »

Nomad, you've watched my video's havn't you? I thought you knew this!..

These are also general rules, there are times in the winter .. especially in super clear water, there are times when a small bait will catch fish, especially post frontal. A bigger bait doesn't always catch bigger fish but in general matching the hatch, size wise, works pretty well. Some take it to the extreme though and start trying super large baits, enough success can come with super spooks and jointed broken backs once one finds the fish and finds what feeding attitude they are in.