Launching at Johnson Bayou ramp in Louisiana

Royd

Launching at Johnson Bayou ramp in Louisiana

Post by Royd »

Is it a yes or no?

I did not know if everything around there was private or if you could get to the refuge from there. Thanks
Yaklash
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Re: Launching at Johnson Bayou ramp in Louisiana

Post by Yaklash »

Deep Bayou Road goes north to the point of the Deep Bayou Dock bridge. There is lots of area off of the road to park, with no signs to prohibit parking, launching or fishing (I have not launched a kayak there). I am not sure what Refuge rules or laws would apply from that point out to the bay.

You might try looking at Google Earth's Man on the Street function for that area. It is quite enlightening.
Attachments
Deep Bayou Road.pdf
Add description
(136.85 KiB) Downloaded 94 times
Piscator
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by Piscator »

I launch my skiff there. I know a couple of guys that fish the branch to the right.
From that launch it is long ride to refuge in a boat.

The road forks to the right and ends up in the refuge, but I do not know if it is gated or not.

Need to check the refuge website. Somewhere it has all the legal access points to all the sections.
Royd

Post by Royd »

Thanks guys for the help. I as not sure how much was private or was fishable.
Hollywood10

Post by Hollywood10 »

One time I put in at the first deep bayou launch, paddled south, and immediately found myself on private property. They were nice about it and politely told us to leave. It appeared to me to be a continuation of the navigable channel, but there was a pier going across most of the bayou. Connecting marsh was loaded with redfish.

Long story short: Seems that only the main channels north of the 1st deep bayou launch are fishable for public.
Tombo

Post by Tombo »

From my experience, the law concerning navigable waters is federal, but is interpreted by each state. Louisiana, I have read articles where it was legal to declare some waters as private property and could bar folks from going through water as if it was their back yard.
This law is interpreted differently in Texas from my experience as a "land owner" of underwater property.
Its never clear as to how and what is interpreted. My guess is since you were approached from folks that did not have an attitude, they were legitimate.
In Texas, I have been yelled at by ignorance,but I chose not to respond and paddled away even though I knew they were wrong. And I knew the folks and their background. But, that is another story.
I have to post a disclaimer to my above post, its based on my experience and am no lawyer.
Piscator
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by Piscator »

I have seen fencing across cuts and canals in the marsh. Complete with locked gates. Hard to imagine a gate for boats. Much of the private marsh is not clearly marked, so I fish the refuge. I have made 6 or so trips and have yet to see clear water for good sight fishing. Probably super clear during the 'closed to fishing' period.
Royd

Post by Royd »

Yea the laws are definitely different over there. It basically was from the private part of a few people being sued for getting hurt on that piece of marsh so the people that owned that land or canal just closed it off. There is still lots that are public to go to. I was not sure if it was worth going over to launch there and fish around the area. Thanks again
Bayoutalker

Post by Bayoutalker »

You can blame Katrina for a lot of those laws too. When people's back yards were flooded they used it as an excuse to create laws to limit access. Of course a lot of the lands affected are owned by attorneys and other rich folks that have long sought a way to keep people out and give them private access. That's why there have been no successful challenges to the laws.