any suggestions for 1-20-18

blind squirrel

any suggestions for 1-20-18

Post by blind squirrel »

This is my first post on TKF and I would like to thank everyone who is on this site! I have learned so much ! I read posts everyday before going fishing . I'm looking for suggestions for this Sat, 1-20-18. I plan on taking a friend and her 8 yr old son kayak fishing. They both love to fish, but when I met the youngster he said " I love fishing but I don't catch much". I would like to help him catch some fish, any fish. I'm thinking about Eckert Bayou and using live and/or dead shrimp. Maybe help him catch a black drum, gafftop, anything to keep him interested and excited about fishing. Any suggestions are welcome. And thanks again to all who share on this site, the info is truly appreciated!
texnomad
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Re: any suggestions for 1-20-18

Post by texnomad »

Since this site covers Texas and adjacent areas it is a good idea to mention what part of the world you are in to get better information. Good luck.
kickingback
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by kickingback »

It's still gonna be a bit cold at 60 degrees but the water will still be cold from this week. It also looks like 30%-40% chance of rain. Bundle the young one and keep him dry!
Like mentioned above where are you and were are you wanting to fish? Marsh? Flats? Ship Channel?
blind squirrel

Post by blind squirrel »

OOPS- sorry- I was thinking about Eckert Bayou, off 11mile/Settegast road in W Galveston Bay. Was actually considering fishing Eckert Bayou to a cut that will take us to the bay. There is a break in the geodomes with what I think is a pretty deep hole. I'm thinking about fishing this spot and then paddling back to Dalehite Cove and the cut back to the bayou and the launch site. Thanks again!
crusher

Post by crusher »

I havent been there in a couple years, so I'm only throwing out some ideas based on what you said, and a picture. I circled what looks like the deeper spots whether they be natural or man-made. I don't know where you are referring to a cut in the geodomes (geotubes), so again, I circled just what looks like deeper spots to me.

That said, I've found winter to be far from a sure-bet for good catching, but if you find the right hole or cut on the right day it's fantastic for reds. I have no idea how to properly fish for trout without the help from birds, so maybe I'll work on that skill next year.

Maybe consider setting this up with your friends as a fun paddle-outing first, and fishing second? That way you don't blow the expectations if it's a slow day or the wrong place. Of course your goal is to find the holes or signs of fish. I've found with my own kids and when we've taken a friend of my kid, to under-promise but hope to over-deliver. Also do not over-estimate kids ability to go too far or stay too long if they have to paddle.

I hope your second post starts with....i took a couple friends out Jan 20 and we caught tons of fish... Post a report, whether it's good news or bad. Lessons learned are worth sharing, blind squirel. You might get lucky.

Please wear good pfd's on the cold water. Be safe and have fun.
Attachments
temp-eck.jpg
blind squirrel

Post by blind squirrel »

Thanks to all and especially crusher! Some of the areas I plan on fishing are areas you have circled in red. I appreciate your suggestion to under-promise in hopes of over-delivering. And some of the reasons I chose Eckert Bayou is that it is a relatively short paddle, and the AM outgoing tide may help make the paddle easier. I've fished there frequently and am fairly comfortable with the area.
I always wear a good PFD in the winter- helps keep me warm. I'll bring an extra child's PFD...just in case. Safety first!
Thanks again, and I'll post a note letting you know how we did.
Yaklash
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Post by Yaklash »

I've spent more than a few days and nights teaching kids to fish. Here are some recommendations, noting that I don't know this kid, his mom or their level of commitment to the sport.

For kids, it's best not to push them too hard too fast. Pier fishing is the best way to get them started. Being in a kayak plus fishing is a lot for some noobie adults to handle well, much less a child. A pier offers access with a quick way out in case the weather becomes an issue.

Shore fishing is another way to go, though you are limited in how much water you can cover. Also, catfish ponds, where you pay by the pound, are great starter venues for kids.

Crabbing - Kids love crabbing and it's easy. They are on a pier or a shore. Refer to comments above.

As to Eckert Bayou, it's basically a marsh. After the kind of freeze we just had, I am not sure the marsh will have much water or fish.
RunninKurt

Post by RunninKurt »

Looking to be double digit winds. I would consider that heavily when thinking about taking kids out on a kayak.
blind squirrel

Post by blind squirrel »

Thanks again to everyone for sharing their knowledge, experience and expertise. Just watched the weather- wind, possible rain and now fog- this trip may have to wait,
Yaklash
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Post by Yaklash »

blind squirrel wrote:Thanks again to everyone for sharing their knowledge, experience and expertise. Just watched the weather- wind, possible rain and now fog- this trip may have to wait,
Good call