Extreme Cold Front Help

TannerJames

Extreme Cold Front Help

Post by TannerJames »

well it’s pretty cold here on the island today. i was wonder what this is going to do for our fishing over the next couple days. i’ve been anxious to get into some big sows so any tips would help.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
texnomad
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Re: Extreme Cold Front Help

Post by texnomad »

I don't know which island you are on. The Port Aransas area should break loose with lots of marsh fish in about two days where the marsh is near one of the channels. Tides are extremely low down here so when the tides come in it will refresh the whole system of fishable water. That is my worthless opinion.
TannerJames

Post by TannerJames »

sorry for not specifying, galveston island. thank you nomad for the help!

Cuervo Jones
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by Cuervo Jones »

Houston area is pretty much on lock down, road-wise. My work was closed yesterday and this morning. Probably not a great idea to be driving anywhere with all this ice on the roads. By this weekend though...

texnomad
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Post by texnomad »

OK Galveston it is. I fished that area until I was in my late 50s. I left the area in 2002. So you know this is old information. After freeze and super low tides in west bay I found that the first reefs closer to San Luis Pass to be the prime territory during the recovery days from a bad cold front. The oyster reefs along the mouth of Chocolate Bayou and inland to the 2004 bridge were also very good locations for harvesting future meals. It is the same pattern, shallow quick warming water about two to three feet deep, darker bottoms and some underwater structure. Good luck.
TroutSupport.com
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Post by TroutSupport.com »

3-5 mud and shell and drop offs into deep water is the typical pattern. Might also try Chocolate bayou itself.. especially in the kayak. Water temps are the coldest we've seen all year right now.. going to take a couple more than 2 days this time.. we're not going to get into 40 degree air temps for another 30 hours from now.. mid day thursday. Whether fish will move back into the marsh on the tide coming back in.. that is if it comes back in enough by the weekend... I'm sure it will come back in some.. I'd plan on just hitting the Bayou.
WoodsWaterSky

Post by WoodsWaterSky »

TroutSupport.com wrote:3-5 mud and shell and drop offs into deep water is the typical pattern. Might also try Chocolate bayou itself.. especially in the kayak. Water temps are the coldest we've seen all year right now.. going to take a couple more than 2 days this time.. we're not going to get into 40 degree air temps for another 30 hours from now.. mid day thursday. Whether fish will move back into the marsh on the tide coming back in.. that is if it comes back in enough by the weekend... I'm sure it will come back in some.. I'd plan on just hitting the Bayou.
You nailed it Tobin.. I fished Jan 6th after the last freeze. I sat in 4-5 feet of water over mud close to shell near a channel and fished a drain as the tide went out. We sat there for 2 hours and wore em out.
As i mentioned in another post, my large red that day (26 1/2") had eaten a ten inch mullet, and still hit my plastic.
TannerJames

Post by TannerJames »

thank you guys! all help is defiantly appreciated. stand by for report!