Cuervo Made Me Do It

karstopo
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Cuervo Made Me Do It

Post by karstopo »

Cuervo was so encouraging with his report and the fact he enjoyed a day out on the water in significantly worse conditions, I decided not to be a baby and get out and have some fun.

Time was of the essence. With dark coming shortly after 5 and I'm leaving the house at ten til 1, well, you can do the math
First stop was a expanse of water without any sign of a vertebrate. Stared at the water for long enough to know. I'm not into plankton fishing. When I'm not feeling it, I don't launch.

Stop 2 was it, like it or not. Here was life. Pelicans, white and brown. The white ones lounged on an island while the brown birds worked hard diving for fish. Nothing is fair. Common Goldeneye, oh so uncommonly handsome, dived like penguins for fish. Yes fish, that's what I wanted, too.

And I found fish. Did I find the ones I was looking for? Yes, but sometimes I like them to come in bigger packages. The wind was up and the light was low, this is not a recipe for sight fishing. Thank goodness for secret element 74, wolfram, tungsten Swedish for heavy stone.

Tungsten sinks about 2.5 times faster than lead per equal weight. That matters because it's the only chance I have to fish moving water 2-5 feet deep with flies and floating line. So that's what I did. 3/16" tungsten beads on a size 4, 60 degree jig hook and some EP, Steve Farrar, rubber legs, a 3mm Pyrex rattle, and voila, it's a shrimp! Or that is what perhaps the fish think.

Sling, catch, sling, catch, 12" , 14" move , more of the same. I finally get a really big redfish, naturally, that's the one I lose. A couple fish bumped 20" but I'll never know since I forgot my check it stick.

Fun it was, no one there but the fishes, birds and me.

ImageImageImageImage

Sent from my SM-J320V using Tapatalk
Cuervo Jones
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Re: Cuervo Made Me Do It

Post by Cuervo Jones »

Gah! Now I’m even MORE bummed that I didn’t bring my fly rod! I’ll fix that next time. The golden eyes are cool and I saw a merganser yesterday, paddling around and diving. I think he was swearing at me under his breath, but I can’t be sure. Birds in general have extremely foul mouths. So do turtles. Nice fish!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
kickingback
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by kickingback »

Good report! Glad you found some on a cold outing!
But you referenced Cuervo style, where are the grossly dependent funny pictures to accompany the report and fish pics! :lol:
karstopo
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by karstopo »

kickingback wrote:Good report! Glad you found some on a cold outing!
But you referenced Cuervo style, where are the grossly dependent funny pictures to accompany the report and fish pics! :lol:
No, no, no, I only blamed or gave Cuervo credit for getting me on the water. I much prefer to read posts from him than try and hopelessly fail to emulate his style. :D
Cuervo Jones
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by Cuervo Jones »

I think in 2018 I’m going to start a fish blog (flog) here in the reports section. Instead of posting dozens of individual reports that nobody cares about, I’ll just post one, long, running report that nobody cares about. I’ve seen this on some other boards I haunt and I dig it. But back to the matter at hand. Your fly exploits are admirable Karst, and generations will look back on your posts as the source of their inspiration and agitation to fling gifts of synthetic fur and yarn at fish around the world.

karstopo
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Re: RE: Re: Cuervo Made Me Do It

Post by karstopo »

Cuervo Jones wrote:I think in 2018 I’m going to start a fish blog (flog) here in the reports section. Instead of posting dozens of individual reports that nobody cares about, I’ll just post one, long, running report that nobody cares about. I’ve seen this on some other boards I haunt and I dig it. But back to the matter at hand. Your fly exploits are admirable Karst, and generations will look back on your posts as the source of their inspiration and agitation to fling gifts of synthetic fur and yarn at fish around the world.

Just to be contrary, I used the baitcasting reels today. It was fun walking the dog and bouncing DSL and Assassins tails off of the shell. I even caught fish, lots of small reds and one slot, plus a bonus trout.

I went in a friend's boat and he appreciated me not slinging flies by his ear. Maybe 2018 will be the year I return to plugs, tails, corkies and all those fun lures.

Sent from my SM-J320V using Tapatalk
JMS

Post by JMS »

Cuervo Jones wrote:Gah! Now I’m even MORE bummed that I didn’t bring my fly rod! I’ll fix that next time. The golden eyes are cool and I saw a merganser yesterday, paddling around and diving. I think he was swearing at me under his breath, but I can’t be sure. Birds in general have extremely foul mouths. So do turtles. Nice fish!

Disagree always found turtles to be polite with a quite sense of dignity.