Corpus winter fishing

floatsmyboat

Corpus winter fishing

Post by floatsmyboat »

I don't really fish the corpus area but I'm curious about the winter fishing from a kayak. Just wondering if it would be worth a try with the weather this coming week if anyone could maybe fill me in?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
kickingback
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Re: Corpus winter fishing

Post by kickingback »

Do search on YouTube for Corpus fishing. Also check out Thresher fishing, MDLR fishing, and Jeff Bonham YouTube channels and they fish down in corpus a lot. The Packery Channel is good if you are land locked. Good luck.
texnomad
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Post by texnomad »

I do not know why but the cleaning tables here in Rockport seemed to have a good coating of fresh fish slime on them when I checked about a half hour ago when I returned to town.
screwston420

Post by screwston420 »

texnomad wrote:I do not know why but the cleaning tables here in Rockport seemed to have a good coating of fresh fish slime on them when I checked about a half hour ago when I returned to town.
and the plot thickens
F.O.C.
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by F.O.C. »

[quote="floatsmyboat"]I don't really fish the corpus area but I'm curious about the winter fishing from a kayak. Just wondering if it would be worth a try with the weather this coming week if anyone could maybe fill me in?
detailed fishing map 2.PNG
Merry Christmas! :wink:
StevenM
Location: Fredericksburg and Aransas Pass Texas Wilderness Ride 135

Post by StevenM »

F.O.C. wrote:
floatsmyboat wrote:I don't really fish the corpus area but I'm curious about the winter fishing from a kayak. Just wondering if it would be worth a try with the weather this coming week if anyone could maybe fill me in?
detailed fishing map 2.PNG
Merry Christmas! :wink:
That’s a great spot
December thru February are by far my favorite months for quality fish

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
TroutSupport.com
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Post by TroutSupport.com »

There can be some great winter fishing this time of year in Corpus, If the tide level is below average fish the channels and off the drop offs. I would probably focus more on reds in the channels near where those channels exit the flats if you can.

Wear your life jacket at all times in the winter.. water temps are cold and every year we loose a couple kayakers.. it's doable.. but be safe.

Next Friday and Sat look to be decent conditions or at least the better conditions for the week.
StevenM
Location: Fredericksburg and Aransas Pass Texas Wilderness Ride 135

Post by StevenM »

TroutSupport.com wrote:There can be some great winter fishing this time of year in Corpus, If the tide level is below average fish the channels and off the drop offs. I would probably focus more on reds in the channels near where those channels exit the flats if you can.

Wear your life jacket at all times in the winter.. water temps are cold and every year we loose a couple kayakers.. it's doable.. but be safe.

Next Friday and Sat look to be decent conditions or at least the better conditions for the week.
I’ll be out there everyday I can starting Friday
Grab some of them trout support lures from Tobin before you go
Best lure in my box

texnomad
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Post by texnomad »

Picked up three lower slot trout this morning from the pier near Rockport Beach. So there are trout in the area at least. Tide was back up to low. Nearly calm wind.
osojet

Post by osojet »

Worked around reefs near deeper water...got a couple limits of midslot reds and an oversize. Nice morning in CC[img]
IMAG1127.jpg
[/img]
TroutSupport.com
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Post by TroutSupport.com »

There ya go!!!
JMS

Post by JMS »

Tried today launched just past red dot stuck to channels and deeper water not even a bite, will give it a go somewhere else tomorrow

F.O.C.
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by F.O.C. »

I started tossing lures about 4pm. Started catching keeper trout till 5:30. Fished til 7 and called it a day.
I got a new smoke s3 for Christmas. Its nice but zings way to loud when casting.
Ron Mc
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by Ron Mc »

cold weather fishing for reds should always be more productive if you know where to look - they'll be shoulder-to-shoulder in the deeper holes. I've seen California Hole when you could walk from boat to boat and everyone was catching fish.
texnomad
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Post by texnomad »

This is Rockport/Fulton area. My neighbor wade fished himself to a frazzle this morning. He waded in at Murph Park at dawn behind the airport. He said he quit counting at 40 speckled trout and just enjoyed catching them in the 17" range until around 1100. I bet he was a bit chilled.
F.O.C.
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by F.O.C. »

I waded the oso this morning. One bump, lots of wind and mud. There were 5 guys fishing and one caught a big ugly on dead shrimp. Cool thing was the drum had a lure on its lip. A sand eel like this one.
windy wade.PNG
snad eel.PNG
osojet

Post by osojet »

Much lower tides last Saturday. The spots I caught them on last week were dry. Same concept...working deeper drains and drop-offs. Same results, just bit shorter. Nueces Bay Area.
IMAG1163.jpg
IMAG1160.jpg