Flounder on Topwaters?

TexasJim

Flounder on Topwaters?

Post by TexasJim »

I was fishing Lighthouse Lakes yesterday, and I caught a 23" flounder on a Spook Jr. in about 18" of water. I was sight casting for redfish and I had no idea there were flounder in the slough I was fishing. I have read that catching a flounder on topwater lures is rare. Anyone else caught one on a topwater?

I had been bottom fishing for flounder with a Norton Sand Eel and one of Tobin's TSL plastics and never got a hint of a bite.
TexasJim
karstopo
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Re: Flounder on Topwaters?

Post by karstopo »

Never did and I fished topwaters hard for a few years. I did hear about it from time to time. 23" is a real nice fish.
Slayer21

Post by Slayer21 »

Nice! Have any pics? I haven’t personally got one to smack a top but I did catch my personal best flounder couple years ago while wading for trout on a corky fat boy. 25” 9lb

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Kayak Kid
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Post by Kayak Kid »

When not using a fly rod, I almost always threw a spook jr. (thanks to Slow Ride showing me how to use one correctly). Never caught a flounder...,ever.
Cuervo Jones
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by Cuervo Jones »

I caught a carp on a spook once. No flounder though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yaklash
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Post by Yaklash »

I have had a baby spook knocked a foot out of the water in very shallow water and I have seen flounder flipping and striking the surface, and I have seen someone else hook a small flounder on a topwater lure, but have not yet had the pleasure of getting one hooked myself.

A little over a month ago, a guy I was fishing with, on consecutive days, hooked a 23" and a 24" flounder on a Paul Brown Broken Back.
Yaklash
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Post by Yaklash »

I would just like to add that in the last 4 years, I have seen more flounder over 22" than I had in the previous 30 years. And I have personally caught more over 22" in that time than I had in the previous 30 years. Yes, over all that time, I'd seen some real monsters, but the pure numbers as well as the various areas they are coming from have been astounding.

These conservation measures of banning November gigging and reducing the bag & possession limits from Nov 1 - Dec 15 have really done a ton of good for our flounder population. A commercial fisherman I know who gigs certain times of year has said the seen the same thing.
Kayak Kid
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Post by Kayak Kid »

From my own shameful experiences during my flounder gigging days, I do, without remorse, cast aspersions on any flounder daily limit beyond two. As it is, there is a great deal of cheating going on with reference to gigging limits.
Slayer21

Post by Slayer21 »

I know we are on the subject of Flounder on tops but had to post this. Right before daylight during a major I had a sheepie blow up a pink Skitterwalk. Yes, a sheepie

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Neumie
Site Admin

Post by Neumie »

I've caught 3 flounder on topwater (2 at Shamrock and another at Paul's Mott) though no keepers. I throw topwaters a lot and have caught many different species.
hipshot
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club
Location: New Caney ............... OK Trident 13, Dagger Cayman, OK Torque, Soloskiff

Post by hipshot »

Haven't caught any on topwater flies yet, but I have seen them jump clear of the water more than once while chasing bait. I do seem to be catching more of them every year on flies. They sure are hard on flies.
karstopo
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by karstopo »

hipshot wrote:Haven't caught any on topwater flies yet, but I have seen them jump clear of the water more than once while chasing bait. I do seem to be catching more of them every year on flies. They sure are hard on flies.
Same here. I roll around ideas for topwater flies and occasionally tie a few, but hardly ever get them in the game. The right topwater fly ought to be deadly bringing it over those flounder actively feeding and jumping clear of the water. I’ve done well when the flounder are jumping bringing subsurface patterns over the area. I just haven’t found a topwater pattern or came up with one I really like enough to stick with for long.
tastywavescoolbuzz

Post by tastywavescoolbuzz »

Cuervo Jones wrote:I caught a carp on a spook once. No flounder though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
and there it is. merica
RedsOnRiot

Post by RedsOnRiot »

Was wading a shoreline earlier this fall, throwing a full size skitterwalk. Had a flounder come blow up on it and in the process hooked him self in the back. Had 'em blow up on it before but never hooked one until this time.
kickingback
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by kickingback »

I personally have not caught one on top but it makes sense if you throw to the shore and the water is only 6" deep the flounder has the bait in his strike zone if you are lucky enough to land it close and drag it over him waiting to ambush. I think it would be fun! Thanks for posting your experiences!