Be careful and be safe.

Cityfisher

Be careful and be safe.

Post by Cityfisher »

Looking at the forecast this weekend and my desire to fish again got me thinking. Think I'll stay home and catch up on chores. Tough choice to. lol
I get these reports from the Galveson Times. It's called "The Reel Report".
I just wanted to share it with you.
I had to copy the text so here it is.

Don't get caught in the cold
By CAPT. JOE KENT​ ​ ​ 30 min ago
A cold front is forecast to dominate the fishing scene this weekend, with gusty winds from the south prior to the front and the same from the north as it passes through. It looks as if it will be sometime after the front moves through those conditions will favor fishing.
This could be the the shot in the arm needed by flounder fishermen to get the big fish moving.
While we wait for better conditions to take over, I want to address one of the big dangers that exists in this time of year and continues into the winter. That is the suddenness in which vicious colds fronts can appear and the dangers of getting caught being away from shore as they hit.
Each year boaters, most of whom while out fishing, get caught in sudden blasts of cold air that are just too much for their small boats to handle. Inland lakes as well as coastal bays are where most of the tragedies occur.
Calm conditions prior to the arrival of a frontal system can lure anglers to the areas where they have to cross open bodies of water to get to their fishing holes. Those that survive these surprise attacks by Mother Nature all say they would never take such chances again.
The problem is complicated by several factors. One is that there are less boaters on the water during colder weather and that makes rescues less likely. While personal flotation devices (life jackets) can keep people floating, water temperatures below 60 degrees, which are common, can cause shock to set in early.
For that reason Type 1 PFDs are a must if on the water in cold weather. Type 1’s will keep an unconscious person’s head afloat and can mean the difference between surviving and not.
The best advice is to not venture out if a cold front is approaching; however, if you do go out, wear a Type 1 PFD.
karstopo
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Re: Be careful and be safe.

Post by karstopo »

This front looks poised to catch the night kayak and small craft fishermen unaware. Winds look to drop into the afternoon and early evening potentially lulling someone to launch for some sunset action and then moving to under the lights at the causeway or someplace similar. They will tell themselves I’ll get in a couple of hours of fishing before the front hits and paddle in when the wind starts to pick up. Or worst case, they may not realize a front is coming. But the front will come and will mostly likely drop on them like a sledge hammer and 200 yards of open water will be 150 yards too far to safety. When they realize they are in trouble it will already be too late.
Ron Mc
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by Ron Mc »

when the last front hit, we were at Arroyo City.
Our original plan was paddle the east wind to Green Island. But check on the day's weather, we decided to drive to the S. Padre Convention Center and fish north.
If we had paddled to Green Island, we would have ended up at S. Padre, anyway.
Yaklash
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Post by Yaklash »

When you think the prefrontal bite could be excellent, but don't want to be caught out in a boat in dangerous conditions, a simple walk-in wade could be the answer.

Wish I didn't have plans early this evening.
Ron Mc
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by Ron Mc »

that's the reason you should always plan your paddle, so the wind will always help get you home. Never guess.
Have your dry bag with your weather layers, etc.
In the case of our S. Padre excursion, we had already planned when the front hit to head in and feast at S. Padre Brewing Co.
It was a success. The 20-25kt blow made for really good fishing from our lighted dock that night.