Slim Pickens in the post frontal marsh 11-10

Cuervo Jones
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by Cuervo Jones »

If you heard a manly scream coming from the coast around 3:30 or so today, that was me, losing a big trout at the kayak. But let’s not get ahead of ourselves. Wind, cold, muddy water, and a rising tide met me at the launch this morning. Mannnnnnnn...maybe I should have stayed in my warm, cozy bed. But, I am bound by an executive order to fish whenever I have the time, rain or shine, hot or cold, windy or calm. Into the dreary, cold marsh I paddled.
I got to my first spot and let loose the mighty cocahoe on 1/8 ounce jig head. The trout slayer. Only it didn’t slay. I didn’t see any bait or fish either. Onto the next spot. Except I have to paddle across some open bay to get to it and after about 15 minutes of making little headway into the wind, I was having serious doubts about the day. I tried a couple more spots and still hadn’t made any fish appear on my hooks. And there were occasional blasts from shotguns in the distance. Made me nervous thinking maybe this is the start of an alien invasion. My mind drifted to food and my comfortable sofa. Wait a minute! THats loser thinking!!! What if George Washington went home to watch tv instead of crossing the Delaware? Suppose Eisenhower played video games in his parents’ basement instead of joining the army! Imagine if Steve Spielberg became a power-napper instead of learning how to make movies! No, I needed to continue. It might be slim pickings, but that thought alone filled me with inspiration.
I headed deeper into the marsh to seek for warmer water and happy redfish. The best redfish hunter-seeker in the world was on my line (gold spinnerbait with chartreuse shad body) and it was target locked, systems checked, enter code:
Finally! Hunting and scratching in the rising tide of the flooded marsh, I managed another.
Then nothing. Hmmmmmm...maybe it’s best to head back. Trolling a cocahoe resulted in meager rewards.
But I figured I’d check my trout hole one last time. You know. Just in case. First cast and a monster whacked it. Drag pulled and I figured it was a redfish. But as I winched it to the kayak, I saw a monstrous, silver form. After wetting myself, I reached for the net. That’s when it gave a mighty head shake and spit my cocahoe in my face. “NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO.” I cried, along with a string of profanities. The time: 3:30 pm. On a Friday. I carry a license. I’m an angler. The name’s Cuervo. Dunnnnn-dunun-dun.
After sobbing and hurling insults at every deity I could think of, I regained my composure and cast some more. Nothing. I was reeling slow and steady like previous weeks. Then I cast and thought of something funny and forgot to reel. When I picked up the slack and pulled it tight, there was a pull right back.
Huzzah! I smiled like Louis CK with a fresh bottle of hand lotion.
Maybe there’s more of my friends home? I started letting the cocaho sink to the bottom and bouncing it back slowly.
Aright aright aright! So they want it on the bottom! Now they tell me!!
The day was turning out to be not so bad after all. But I was getting hungry and tired. Maybe a final couple of casts and then teleport home.
That’ll do, trouts. That’ll do. Get out when you can and find those fish! They’re there and they’re chomping cocahoes and spinnerbaits regardless of weather. Just make sure you experiment with retrieves and report your findings. Cuervo Jones, last survivor of the Nostromo, signing off.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Last edited by Cuervo Jones on Fri Nov 10, 2017 7:56 pm, edited 6 times in total.
shoffer
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Re: Slim Pickens in the post frontal marsh 11-10

Post by shoffer »

The Louis CK post made me laugh. Thanks, Cuervo. I am down in Port Mansfield powerboat and wade fishing. Will report back.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
kickingback
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by kickingback »

Good pics of some pretty fish! Thanks for sharing!
Cuervo Jones
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by Cuervo Jones »

shoffer wrote:...I am down in Port Mansfield powerboat and wade fishing. Will report back.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I only went there once, but it was awesome. Looking forward to your report!
I forgot to mention that the wind was again blowing bait into the channel cut I was trout fishing. Terns and gulls would go by in small groups, grabbing little things (shrimp?) off the surface. But the bird and fish action didn’t happen until the sun had warmed the air and surface water later in the afternoon. In the cold morning, it was dead dead dead, man.

Edited to add: I’ve firmly set my mind on hitting the water again tomorrow. I found this old photo of my first single person yak and it reminded me of all the bass fishing I used to do. So that’s my plan for tomorrow.

Getz-Some55

Post by Getz-Some55 »

Thank you Cuervo for your beautiful synergy of humor and useful information.
Cuervo Jones
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by Cuervo Jones »

With the next front coming in this weekend, there should be even more bait flushing through the marsh channels. I lost what I thought was a flounder on this trip, so no go for the Texas slam. But those flat freaky fish should get moving big time with another blast or two of cold air.

Drifting Yak
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Drifting Yak »

So I read Your post - and let out a few hardy laughs along the journey - and my wife says "You gotta stop reading Cuervo's posts if you're going to wake the kids like that". I promised her that I could control myself. So keep up the good work Mr. Cuervo. Always something funny going on in your mind (which makes us laugh) so please continue.....
Cuervo Jones
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by Cuervo Jones »

Thank you Drifting Yak. You cut quite a figure I must say.
My fishing reports are 100% factual and not #fake news. I don’t seek sponsorships or endorsements and I’m not pushing a blog or insatiablegram or fakebook account. Like Joe Friday, “Just the facts.”

Johnny5455
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Johnny5455 »

Awesome stuff as usual Cuervo!

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
YakRunabout

Post by YakRunabout »

[quote="Cuervo Jones"]Thank you Drifting Yak. You cut quite a figure I must say.
My fishing reports are 100% factual and not #fake news. I don’t seek sponsorships or endorsements and I’m not pushing a blog or insatiablegram or fakebook account. Like Joe Friday, “Just the facts.”

I fish with Drifting Yak a bit and I must say the picture is close! You got the color of the kayak correct, but he is not normally wearing black!
shoffer
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by shoffer »

Cuervo, and a handful of us other posters, are the only thing keeping this board from going the way of Myspace, parachute pants, hula hoops, pet rocks, and 1984 mullet cuts.
Parachute-Pants2.jpg
classic-mullet-man.jpg
classic-mullet-man.jpg (28.24 KiB) Viewed 3571 times
Cuervo Jones
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by Cuervo Jones »

All those things are still sensational. It’s the lame-oids that just don’t get it.
There’s a good front blowing in this weekend and then another over thanksgiving. Word around the bay is that the chubby troutwives will be, like, totally chowing down on the tasty shrimp and baitfish that will be evacuating the marsh, fer sure. But you didn’t hear that from me. It’s hush-hush, on the QT, and VERY confidential.

Drifting Yak
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Drifting Yak »

Cuervo Jones wrote:Thank you Drifting Yak. You cut quite a figure I must say.
A yak by any other name would smell as sweet....