Grass Carp

karstopo
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Grass Carp

Post by karstopo »

I got one to eat a fly. Came on a black Cat's Booby Straggle, size 10.

The formula on my lake seems to be get out on the dock at dawn or a little before. Be very quiet and as still as possible and look for fish that are near the surface. Wear mosquito spray as slapping mosquitoes biting your ankles spooks the fish and you might be distracted for the eat. Fish that are right next to the dock are no good, they spook too easily. A mirror surface, calm conditions helps with spotting fish.

Once the fish is spotted, cast the surface fly into the carp's projected path. I used my 4/5 weight CGR and the 5 weight line did land softly on the 30 foot cast. The stationary floating fly attracted the carp's attention and it sucked the pattern in. I trout set the 7-8 pound grass carp. The fish really didn't run in the deep water and I never even had it on the reel. It was a pretty short tussle and nothing like what I expected and nothing like a comparable sized redfish. It could have been just a dud fish.

I had to get on my belly to try and pull the fish on the dock. I wasn't sure where to grab a carp, so I went for the mouth but some weird texture cause me to let go and the fish lurched snapping the tippet.

After about 100 rejections and near misses over several weeks using maybe a half dozen or more patterns, I was glad to finally get the solid eat and set.
Cuervo Jones
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Re: Grass Carp

Post by Cuervo Jones »

I’ve still never caught a carp of any flavor on fly. Mostly because I’ve never tried it. I used to see tons in the Colorado river when I floated it and it was clear. Seems the last few years, it’s either muddy or flooded. I need to give it another check this winter maybe. Good stuff, mr. Karst.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
karstopo
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by karstopo »

This one I got a net under. Went for the Cat's Booby Straggle in Black (apropos for the date, October 31st) fish weighed 14#. So far, in my experience, these fish are about 1/100 as aggressive on the take as an typical redfish. No real horsepower either on the fight. But the cast has to be spot on and that's the challenge. Image

Sent from my SM-J320V using Tapatalk
Cuervo Jones
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by Cuervo Jones »

Nice looking specimen but I’m sad to hear that they’re less than thrilling when hooked. I’ve seen lots of reference to them and regular carp as “bayou redfish” or “bayou bonefish” so I always imagined they’d be more...energetic. Maybe you got a dud. Or maybe they’re typically caught be folks who’ve never hooked a red in 4” of brine.

karstopo
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by karstopo »

It may be that these carp are bombed on acorn beer. You would think I'm joking, but it's clear they are munching on acorns that have fallen into the narrow shallow water zone. Carbohydrate, water, a little natural yeast, humm.

They may superficially resemble a redfish, but their personality is all Tommy Chong or The Dude if you catch my drift.

karstopo
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by karstopo »

Cuervo Jones wrote:Nice looking specimen but I’m sad to hear that they’re less than thrilling when hooked. I’ve seen lots of reference to them and regular carp as “bayou redfish” or “bayou bonefish” so I always imagined they’d be more...energetic. Maybe you got a dud. Or maybe they’re typically caught be folks who’ve never hooked a red in 4” of brine.

So just this morning I by chance bumped into a former resident of the same lake. We got to talking fishing and I shared my carp stories and the photo. He needed the photo because I could see he didn't believe the story. He said that his friend used to get them to take a fly out on the lake and that they could never get one in because the fish went insane during the fight and broke off every time.

My two fish have been as docile as lambs. Maestro, cue the music, Rod Serling, your up, because "you've just crossed over into the Twilight Zone".
Kayak Kid
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Post by Kayak Kid »

I've had luck catching carp on a fresh (very fresh) coffee bean 'fly'. If you can float the bean anywhere close to their nose, they will often go for it. One needs several of these 'flies' as the carp will smash them beyond use when taken.

I have hooked several large carp in the Colorado River, but I use a four wt. that I built, and could not begin to move them for fear of breaking my rod. They basically just sat there (laughing?) until I snapped my tippet off.

Small carp caught in the bayou (take plenty of liquid sanitizer) fought like small reds. Lots of fun, but, the surrounding landscape leaves much to be desired.
Cuervo Jones
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by Cuervo Jones »

The opioid pandemic is even affecting our fish friends, clearly. I’m launching an expedition to the marsh and bay tomorrow to check on the well-being of our redfish and troot friends. I just hope they’re not too hopped up on goofballs to eat hooks.

SurfRunner

Post by SurfRunner »

karstopo wrote:This one I got a net under. Went for the Cat's Booby Straggle in Black (apropos for the date, October 31st) fish weighed 14#. So far, in my experience, these fish are about 1/100 as aggressive on the take as an typical redfish. No real horsepower either on the fight. But the cast has to be spot on and that's the challenge. Image

The big ones fight like a log! Although I have found the smaller ones fight really good. The common carp are the ones I would compare to redfish - not the grass carp. Regardless of how lethargic they seem, getting one to take a fly is a true test of your skills....Nice fish!
karstopo
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by karstopo »

Another log, this time on the 2 weight. 12 pounds on the boga. Image

Cuervo Jones
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by Cuervo Jones »

Nice!! What sort of fly are they eating?

karstopo
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Re: RE: Re: Grass Carp

Post by karstopo »

Cuervo Jones wrote:Nice!! What sort of fly are they eating?

Slab Spike Beadhead. Image

Cuervo Jones
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by Cuervo Jones »

Cool looking pattern. Is that a strand of flashabou along the top?

karstopo
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Re: RE: Re: Grass Carp

Post by karstopo »

Cuervo Jones wrote:Cool looking pattern. Is that a strand of flashabou along the top?

Yes