Flounder & Trout Right on Time

crusher

Post by crusher »

I'm not much of a reporter, probably 'cause I have little good to report most of the time, but I'll take a shot, and include the tide and solunar info. I took a solo trip, mid week last week; low winds, clear sky, moving tides - all the prelim research looked good. Got on the water of course 20 minutes later than I wanted to but at least I had a plan to launch, head to the left for a mile or two, fish some "lake" areas, and later move to some marsh areas - all one direction from the launch. Right after launching at about 7:00, with maybe a 7:15ish sunrise, I saw lots of birds to the right. I tried to ignore them, but I've never executed a plan properly yet, so why start that day? Getting closer I saw for sure they were feeding. Mostly 10-14 inchers, so I got one good keeper out of the 6 or so I actually landed prior to the birds disappearing and losing the school. It was about 8:30 when the birds fizzled out.

The bite completely died, it was near 9ish, and I was a mile and a half or two from where I originally planned on fishing. Headed over, enjoying calm conditions, not a boat or kayak within site or sound all morning, and proceeded to blind cast a few seemingly logical hideouts, if I were a fish. No fish, no bait movement, no nothing. I spent a good couple hours going up little creek/cuts and exploring places I'm not sure I'd regularly go since I knew absolutely nothing was biting and I was off work for the day. I found my way in to the lake I was planning on for the morning bite, by 11:30 or so after snacks and water. Right about noon - all of a sudden, and I mean like in about a 20 second interval, the whole area went from eerily quiet and desolate to fish jumping, running, crashes in the grass, schools of baitfish swarming around me, it was crazy. I hooked up a couple times but lost them quick. Flounder I reckon, fear of commitment. I followed the sounds of the biggest commotion back in to a pond off the main lake. Tide was incoming and solunar tables said it's time for a bite. Back in this pond of maybe 2 acres at most, there was a crash of something braking surface every minute it seemed- in all sorts of different spots. I zeroed in on one area and finally pulled in a keeper flounder. Just after that I saw what had to be easily a 20-plus flounder go airborne. I've heard of this, but never seen it. Bait fish were everywhere. As much as I tried, I couldn't land another. With so much bait all over, it woulda been a stupid flounder to bite plastic anyway. At least that thought makes me feel better for failing to pick up more. I headed out of the pond convinced they didn't want what I had, and fished grass lines. Tide was way up by this time and most activity sounded about 20 feet back in to the grass. I tried a cork with gulp and topwaters but no luck. Headed back to the truck about 2:00 when the commotion stopped as abruptly as it started. It was a great day.

I won't argue for or against needing tides, moon positions, wind directions, or any other scientific or farmer's almanac methodology of finding biting fish, but I thought it interesting to give you the take and moon stuff with a couple labels just for something a little different.
Attachments
trout1.JPG
trout1.JPG (25.36 KiB) Viewed 2938 times
bite-times.JPG
bite-times.JPG (32.97 KiB) Viewed 2938 times
kickingback
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Re: Flounder & Trout Right on Time

Post by kickingback »

Good info. Thanks for sharing
karstopo
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by karstopo »

I love it when flounder go airborne. I haven't seen it in a while. When I see it, I'll go crazy trying to catch them. A friend of mine tears them up on gulp. I've had mixed results using fly patterns.

It's hard to ignore birds dipping. I almost always paddle over to check out what's going on.

I have done a lot of "scripted" trips. Plan to go to spot x to catch a tide. More often that not, I just head off somewhere these days with not a lot of thought about it and see what turns up. Usually something interesting will turn up. It's definitely a different approach. Sometimes trying to come up with the "right" plan can get into the I'm feeling the pressure zone.

The fish well up into the flooded grass are tough. If there's a sure fire formula for getting to them or getting them to come to your offering, I don't know it. The grass where I fish almost always seems too thick to get anything to the fish. If they are near the edge, I'll try a couple of patterns with rattles or beads and hope to draw them out, but that's the idea with the cork and gulp or noisy topwater.

Anyhow, you said it, it sounds like a great day. You had some interesting encounters with the wild fish and other wild life. Deep down, I bet that's what many of us long for more than anything else when we venture out.
TxTrouter

Post by TxTrouter »

Exciting read! Thanks for sharing!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Cuervo Jones
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by Cuervo Jones »

I don’t bother with solunar tables and all that. Last trip, my biggest trout came because I cast to a spot I would have ignored if a pair of wee terns wasn’t screeching at each other and hanging out. Fishing just isn’t predictable. And that’s why I like it so much.

crusher

Post by crusher »

Fishing just isn’t predictable
Cuervo - for me, most of the time, i gotta agree cause I'm no expert at anything fishing yet. I thought it interesting to see how the proverbial wisdom overlaid my experience. The times were off a bit but on this day, it was somewhat close to what I experienced. Now if someone would explain to me biologically why this happens, I'd be a bigger believer. Til then, I go when I can which is never enough, regardless of predicted tides and bites and moons and even marsh witch siteings.
shoffer
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by shoffer »

I am a believer in solounar periods. I, too, have experienced the frenzy right on time as a solunar approached. I have seen it at night in the lights multiple times, and I have seen it in multiple bay systems during the day. Thanks for the report.
Dandydon
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Dandydon »

As Shoffer said, the Solunar tables often work, but I add in the Wells tide tables from "Gulf Coast Fisherman" magazine. I've seen the fish bite turn on exactly when his table tide cycle predicts.
Obviously all relevant information should be considered unless you're up for pure "no science" fishing. I enjoy the science side of it.