lake woodlands

bloodletter

lake woodlands

Post by bloodletter »

Has anyone fished this lake before and is it a cpr only lake?
Night Wing
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Re: lake woodlands

Post by Night Wing »

You can keep the fish caught from Lake Woodlands. The lake has lots of catfish and has some nice large crappie in it.
txwookie

Post by txwookie »

The spill way has good cats , especially at the bottom after a rain. You gotta walk down there though. My sone caught his first fish down there last week , a 19" blue. The north west end of the lake at the reasearch forest bridge has a good little hole for them too. Lots of snakes floating in the debris so don't go poking at anything you don't have too. The bass hide under what little over hang there is depending on the location of the sun. Paddle out to the east and there is a penisula thats got some bass around the back side as well. Its a small lake , spend a day just floating around and think like a fish. You'll find them.
capn crunch
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by capn crunch »

almost every point has a brushpile sunk off it. when that lake was bulldozed, it used a preexisting creek, but made everything else a uniform depth. like was said, anything fish can use for structure or shade is a fish magnet. if you dont have a fishfinder to find the piles, just troll around till your lure bumps or snags one..then stop and fish it. crunch.
water in my beer

Post by water in my beer »

My boss was one of the original engineers for the Lake Woodlands Project. He said when they were completed with the construction of the lake it looked like a giant empty swimming pool. He also worked on Lake Conroe and he said that the contractors would purposely make deep pockets for future catfish. I always think to myself if some of those same old construction workers are not still fishin those holes.
bloodletter

Post by bloodletter »

Wow thanks to all for the great info on where to go. I have lived about 5 mi from this lake for the last 8 yrs and have yet to fish it. I am planning on going out on sun after wk to give it a shot. If any of yall are out there ill be in a sand colored trident 13 stop by and say hey.
bloodletter

Post by bloodletter »

ok heres the six million dollar question where is the best place to put in?
txwookie

Post by txwookie »

North Shore Park off of Lake Woodlands Pkwy. There are kayak/canoe launches. If you go on the weekends or anytime for that matter, go early if possible. The mommies all show up to "strollercise" starting around 0930ish and parking gets hectic. Weekends are NUTZ after 1000. When you turn into the parking lot, head towards the water, swing around and unload at the ramps and then park in the long spaces (for trailers and longer vehicles). Thats about the center of the lake. If you head eastish from there you can swing around the peninsula and its nice and shaded. North / Northwest till you cant go anymore is another good spot. Catfish creap down towards the center of that last area as the day gets hotter. I was told its about 18' deep there.
bloodletter

Post by bloodletter »

awesome! thanks for the info. I was thinking i was gonna have to put in by the green dragon.
txwookie

Post by txwookie »

That would suck. Although my son and I did paddle from North Shore to the green dragon / South Shore a couple of weekends ago. There is a dock at the pavillion out there. It makes an ok rest stop but it would be a big hassle dragging your rig through the trees, down the path, and to the water from there. When you put in at North Shore you can head across and paddle down the water way by Market Street too. Its kinda interesting. My boy loved it.
bloodletter

Post by bloodletter »

yea I thought so too. Im glad you told me about the park launch thats going to make life a lot easier especially since i dont have a cart yet. thx
tlm1075

Post by tlm1075 »

blood letter
how did it go on lake woodlands. been there many times but fishing was slow and snakes are very big. i was told if you go west at the pink temple looking house the fishing is good.
started a few weeks ago i notice that the concert in the park was starting on sundays. that means no parking at north shore park. if you park in the long spot make sure you park at the end of the space people will block you it.
bloodletter

Post by bloodletter »

tlm1075 wrote:blood letter
how did it go on lake woodlands. been there many times but fishing was slow and snakes are very big. i was told if you go west at the pink temple looking house the fishing is good.
started a few weeks ago i notice that the concert in the park was starting on sundays. that means no parking at north shore park. if you park in the long spot make sure you park at the end of the space people will block you it.
I wasnt able to make it out like I had hoped due to an unscheduled trip to the er. Hopefully Ill try and make it out on moms day somtime after I get done doin the whole dinner for mom thing. Thx for the info is it completely closed off to the public or is there a way I can finagle my way to the launch and park somewhere else? screw it im jus gonna chance it and see what happens I dont live too far away if its black flag condidtions.
tlm1075

Post by tlm1075 »

has anybody fished lake woodlands lately. planning on going this week and wonder how good it has been and where is the fishing has been good for bass and crappie
basskicker_37

Post by basskicker_37 »

I grew up in the woodlands and used to fish this lake all the time. I remember them excavating the lake. Before they opened it, they had a big "bottom of the lake" festival and I got really sick on the ferris wheel. I digress, I only fished it from the banks so cannot comment on where to put in and what not. But from what i remember, north shore park had some easy access to the banks. I fished exclusively around the many bridges and pylons and always did well on bass, crappie and cats.

Tight lines!
tlm1075

Post by tlm1075 »

Went to Lake Woodlands today had a great time caught 2 lb channel cat small mud cat and 40 to 50 pan fish all on the east side of the island. the weather was great. was disturbed when i got there with all the vegetation on the surface. but after a returned to the main lake must of it was gone.
scenicgreenrr

Post by scenicgreenrr »

Been there a couple dozen times. I'd be careful eating anything out of there - lots of homes fertilizing their lawns. Also hearing from several that the fish have a "weird" taste. Bass by the docks and down by the lake woodlands road bridge. Have caught several cats directly across from the north shore ramp.
mch4fishing

Post by mch4fishing »

scenicgreenrr wrote:Been there a couple dozen times. I'd be careful eating anything out of there - lots of homes fertilizing their lawns. Also hearing from several that the fish have a "weird" taste. Bass by the docks and down by the lake woodlands road bridge. Have caught several cats directly across from the north shore ramp.
Have been fishing Lake Of The Woodlands for 5 or 6 years now and have spoken to the rangers that TEST the water regularly And they have stated that the water and fish tested have levels to low to speak of
hooger

Post by hooger »

I have eaten many fish from there over the years and have no problems. I fact the 3rd arm with 8 fingers I recently grew comes in handy when casting and paddleing at the same time. :P
mch4fishing

Post by mch4fishing »

hooger wrote:I have eaten many fish from there over the years and have no problems. I fact the 3rd arm with 8 fingers I recently grew comes in handy when casting and paddleing at the same time. :P
:lol: So that's why I can cast one pole while realing in the other at the same time :lol:
Note to self.. Fish Good
lahai1dj

Post by lahai1dj »

I want to exhume this string (after 7 years!) because I just moved to the woodlands and am excited to fish the area. Those of you familiar with fishing Lake Woodlands, what is a good target species in the Summer and Fall?
lc2hl

Post by lc2hl »

LMB, Cats, Gar, Crappie, White Bass, Bluegil-zillas. I have seen a few more species like cichlids show up occasionally.
Personally, I always CPR in the lake. Just my opinion, but if the Iron Man athletes had to avoid a section of lake and get preemptive antibiotic injections, I have no interest in eating anything from there.
There are quite a few big girls in the pond, but be aware, the lake is a mud bowl, virtually void of structure with the exception of a few lay downs you may sporadically come across on your graph...
Raygenjay

Post by Raygenjay »

There is spur off the lake that has good fish. My neighbor always brings home crappie and cats. If you launch at northshore park , go under the bridge and go under the second bridge you will find the honey hole.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk