Marshin’ Redfish and Trout Redux 10-20, now with terrifying funnel clouds!

Cuervo Jones
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by Cuervo Jones »

“Letting the days go by, water flowing underground.
Into the blue again into the silent water
Under the rocks and stones, there is water underground.”
Once in a Lifetime—Talking Heads

Scared of the zombie flounder that were lurching around the marsh last week, I plotted a new course for today. I had 3 spots lined up depending on what the weather was doing. When I went to bed last night, predictions were for 80-90% rain all day and a strong southeast wind. I slept in. I woke to 10% rain chances and single digit winds. Meteorologists...a pox on you!!!
Thankful for the good weather, I resolved to explore a new spot anyway.
I spent the week with my eyeballs glued to google earth images and fishing maps eager to hit a new marsh and nothing could stop me now!
So much marsh...so little time.
The tide was still obscenely high, so I figured it’d be more hunting and pecking. I wasn’t wrong.
Trolling on the way to the marsh, I hooked a trout. It saw my nice new, pumpkin-colored net and spit the hook and ran. Then something like a grenade exploded next to me. I screamed like a Frenchman in a thunderstorm and paddled away quickly. Later I realized a bunch of big gar were hanging out trying to give people heart failure. They’re kind of buttholes. Entering the marsh, I caught this:
I kept paddling around, casting the best bait in the 9 worlds for redfish, a spinnerbait. The reds approved. (Pro tip: any time you’re fishing an unfamiliar marsh for reds, you pretty much can’t go wrong with a good spinnerbait and chartreuse plastic body). I hooked 3 more trout and every single one got off before I netted them. Hmmmmmm.
All the paddling made me hungerful so I was glad to have my snacks.
Back to it:
About then, I looked at the horizon and saw a funnel cloud forming. Great. Now I’m going to get sucked up into Oz. Scarecrows and tin men freak me out. And all those midgets! WTF is up with that place?!
Thankfully the clouds parted and the threat passed. But the fishing slowed down as the tide kept coming in (it was sort of falling when I first started).
I explored a bunch more and will be coming back again soon. I started the long paddle to the launch and stopped at a marsh drain that had 2 small terns yelling and dipping. First cast with a cocahoe on 1/8 ounce jig head, BAM.
Next cast, repeat, but it got off. Damn! What IS IT with the trout today?!
Final cast to the oysters on the other side of the drain entrance and a huge, olive-gold shape swipes at the cocahoe about 5 feet from the kayak, just about as I was going to lift it out of the water.
Not too shabby.
I decided to call it a day and head home. Where I am now. Writing this report for you, TKF. All I ask in return is that you go out, catch fish, and post reports of your own. GET ON IT! Cuervo Jones, signing off.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Last edited by Cuervo Jones on Fri Oct 20, 2017 8:51 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Drifting Yak
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Re: Marshin’ Redfish and Trout Redux 10-20, now with terrifying funnel clouds!

Post by Drifting Yak »

That is an absolutely beautiful spec there Mr. Cuervo! Congrats on not getting blown to Oz.... :D
YakRunabout

Post by YakRunabout »

Entertaining report as always - a 3-spotted tail, a smiling apple and a nice trout, plus a couple threats - what a day!!

I owe you one - have a beer on me!
Cuervo Jones
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by Cuervo Jones »

You guys are alright!
Beers all around!
I’ll take an MGD.

karstopo
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by karstopo »

Can you still get MGD?

I know where I can get some great tales of spots and dots plus some fabulous extras thrown in for free. Thanks again for bringing us along on your adventures.
Cuervo Jones
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by Cuervo Jones »

karstopo wrote:Can you still get MGD?
That’s a-firmative.
Spots and dots and specks are going to be solid this winter I think. The big girl gave me this message to share with TKF like the Fonz.
Aaaaaayyyyyyyyyy.

kickingback
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by kickingback »

:lol:
Always nice weather when you go out...do you pray to Mother Nature before each trip or just wing it?!
Very nicely done again!
Cuervo Jones
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by Cuervo Jones »

If you take one step towards Mother Nature, she will take two towards you...and probably smack you in the chops for being too forward.
Still, I dig her the most.

Dandydon
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Dandydon »

Thanks for that bracing shot of clear Cuervo! Trout & tequila go together like redfish & spinnerbaits.
This fishing weather is getting better & better.
See ya'll on the bay!

shoffer
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by shoffer »

Another solid effort by our own Percy Shelley.

Bravo, you Marsh Witch crushing, MGD drinking, loner fishing, Colorado stream wading, scabbed up thumb having, pizza in the marsh eating, pumpkin net swinging, zombie flounder fearing playaaaaa!
Capture.JPG
Cuervo Jones
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by Cuervo Jones »

Percy Shelley?! PERCY?!
And he looked like this?!
If I had any self esteem, I’d be insulted! Thankfully, the antifreeze I’m shotgunning is numbing the pain.
Word in the marsh is that there’s a cold front coming in tomorrow. And another next week. ALL the chubby girls are getting excited as a nun in a cucumber patch and I’ll be there to catch ‘em, right Fatty McFat Trout?

Cityfisher

Post by Cityfisher »

Good report!
I listened to Chita and stayed home this weekend, but I did get caught up on some long overdue chores. Like an oil change, vehicle inspection & registration, cleaning, etc.... etc....! lol
I bust out loud laughing here at work when I read about the gar startling you. I bet that has happened to everyone of us out there a time or 2. I have almost flipped myself out of the yak from being startled so bad! If you have ever been up in the flooded grasses on a lake when the carp are spawning, they will do it to you to. Talk about a heart attack, geeez!!