Who Decides Tournament Cancellations?

yackattack

Who Decides Tournament Cancellations?

Post by yackattack »

No offense, but whomever runs this is an idiot...3-5 ft swells, usually tack on an extra foot or two for accuracy. Have fun flipping over.
yackattack

Re: Who Decides Tournament Cancellations?

Post by yackattack »

You're lucky no one was killed, a broken rib is bad enough.

Can we cut away from these Floridians and start our own tournaments once again?

Last year the word was they would never do a tournament with poor conditions, but all these fishermen/sponsors from Florida came into town RIGHT after a hurricane, don't know Port A weather in the fall, and apparently controlled the word on whether or not it was safe to go. IT WAS NOT.

You should be ashamed of yourselves, whomever is involved in this decision making.
SAHunter1983
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Re: RE: Re: Who Decides Tournament Cancellations?

Post by SAHunter1983 »

yackattack wrote:You're lucky no one was killed, a broken rib is bad enough.

Last year the word was they would never do a tournament with poor conditions, but all these fishermen/sponsors from Florida came into town RIGHT after a hurricane, don't know Port A weather in the fall, and apparently controlled the word on whether or not it was safe to go. IT WAS NOT.

You should be ashamed of yourselves, whomever is involved in this decision making.
Hi,

I live in Corpus and am one of those guys you are speaking of.

BWKC has never been, nor will it ever be owned or governed by Extreme Inc. Extreme had a side division at BWKC and had no say in the rules or sponsors other than the division they sponsored (Wilderness and Costa).

The three owners worked extremely hard during our first season taking the reins from Kevin to grow the event and attract the attention of out of state anglers. We learned a lot of lessons that will be incorporated into next year's event.

If you have concerns about the tournament please feel free to give us a call to discuss. If you are unhappy about your personal experience, again give us a call.

If you are here to flame an event that you had no part in helping to coordinate, schedule, reschedule, finance, or sponsor, I am sorry you feel the need to act that way.

Please keep in mind that we made numerous announcements asking anglers to fish their skill level and made the decision to go withbit only after consulting multiple local and out of state anglers. We even opened up a side division out of our own pockets to try to allow more inexperienced anglers an option to compete and win their money back.

Lastly, we were lucky, and as stated before, there will be changes coming including mandatory safety equipment checks for each angler, and set conditions in the rules for the go/no-go scenario.

Thanks,

Tod Johnson

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk
Ryanh1801

Post by Ryanh1801 »

yackattack wrote:You're lucky no one was killed, a broken rib is bad enough.

Since you decided to throw me into this even though I did not ask, i will give me 2 cents. :roll:

Last I checked I am a grown ass man and every person in this tournament is an adult. Life is full of choices, make them wise. I choose to go out and fish not any of the tournament officials. Honestly the surf was in my comfort zone in the morning and two different weather apps showed it would improve in the afternoon, so I decided to go out. instead it got worse yes I fractured two of my ribs. I have no one to blame for that other than myself.

The guys that put this tournament on did one hell of a job IMO, and even did the side pot deal that they did not have to do. I will be back next year and hopefully can make both events then.
boricualouie

Post by boricualouie »

I really think they the only way you are o get a grip on safety if to have one launch I got point to check for all safety equipment.
SAHunter1983
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Re: RE: Re: Who Decides Tournament Cancellations?

Post by SAHunter1983 »

boricualouie wrote:I really think they the only way you are o get a grip on safety if to have one launch I got point to check for all safety equipment.
Extreme tried it and failed due to city permitting issues and beach policies.

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk
christian

Post by christian »

This was a tournament. Nobody had to go offshore. Those of us who did rolled the dice. If you kayak fish for any length of time you will test the level of your skill weather willing or not. The tournament directors were kind enough to dig in their own pocket to start a new inshore bracket for those who felt uncomfortable with conditions. I think with the reports most of us had were not like what actually happened. I think tournaments of this calaber should be harder, more difficult than the rest. My love and i are very thankfull for all the directors, organizers etc...efforts to make this the greatest offshore tournament in texas. We are proud to be able to take part and look forward to competing for many uears to come. Dont be mad because a group of consenting adults went out and did something you were incapable of. It just takes practice and dedication. There are some great videos you can watch on yotube from tod johnson and also glenn madden if you care to learn.
Boomy
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Boomy »

The guys broke standard by allowing an inshore side pot, so no one "had" to go out.
Many of us with surf capable kayaks have been out through that kind of surf and much larger swells.
The fact that you were not comfortable enough to try it, does not make the organizers "idiots".
Unless of course you were never signed up, in which case that would just make you a ....................
Had I not had to work that weekend, I would have been out there filming offshore with them.
Not because I was obligated by the tournament but because my BROTHERS were out there trying their best.

THE MAN IN THE ARENA
Excerpt from the speech "Citizenship In A Republic"
delivered at the Sorbonne, in Paris, France on 23 April, 1910
It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat.
christian

Post by christian »

Boomy,,,greatness. Pure greatness