Quick Disconnects For Rudder Cables

HooknPaddle

Quick Disconnects For Rudder Cables

Post by HooknPaddle »

I have a Viking Reload with rudder and was looking for tips on how to make a quick disconnect system on the rudder cables.
The rudder does not fold up for transport in my truck bed and was thinking I should rig a way to be able to disconnect the rudder cables quickly from the rudder instead of untying/retying. I put a snap link pin on the rudder shaft which makes it easy to pull the rudder assembly. But the cables are tied directly to the rudder.

Thanks!
Neumie
Site Admin

Re: Quick Disconnects For Rudder Cables

Post by Neumie »

Are they cables or kevlar string like what's found on Hobies?
Cityfisher

Post by Cityfisher »

My FeelFree Lure has a keyring type thing that holds the post of the rudder. You can replace it with a cotter pin and remove it easily. Once I remove the ring or pin my rudder just lifts up and out of the way.
Attachments
COTTER PIN.jpg
COTTER PIN.jpg (5.51 KiB) Viewed 3432 times
HooknPaddle

Post by HooknPaddle »

Neumie wrote:Are they cables or kevlar string like what's found on Hobies?
They are definitely not cables. Some type of braided line.

I could put some rings on one side and snap links on the other but was hoping there might be some type of tubular disconnects.
HooknPaddle

Post by HooknPaddle »

Cityfisher wrote:My FeelFree Lure has a keyring type thing that holds the post of the rudder. You can replace it with a cotter pin and remove it easily. Once I remove the ring or pin my rudder just lifts up and out of the way.
I already put a hitch pin on the rudder post. Was looking for a disconnect for the cables.
HooknPaddle

Post by HooknPaddle »

Here is my cheap solution. A couple of SS cotter pins with washers. Added some small snaplinks to the cables. I'm hoping to find some beefier SS snaplinks like they use on the keychains. Ebay has some 1" SS snaplinks but they all ship from China. Go figure.
Attachments
IMG_2686.JPG
IMG_2684.JPG