Public Land Dove Hunting

Zackthefisherman

Public Land Dove Hunting

Post by Zackthefisherman »

This weekend I had the opportunity to go on my first dove hunt with some friends. I had a great time and now I'm hooked! I'm planning on getting an APH permit, because there are a few leases within a few minutes of my house in New Braunfels. From what I've read, it sounds like I shouldn't expect to shoot great numbers, but at least it's a place to hunt until I can find a lease for next season. I plan to hunt on weekdays to avoid the crowds.

I'm posting this because I have a question regarding the rule about hunter's orange. The rule book says, "fails to visibly wear at least 400 square inches of hunter orange material with orange headwear and at least 144 square inches appearing on both chest and back during daylight hours at times when hunting with firearms is permitted. Exempt from these requirements are: (1) authorized department personnel and landowner employees, (2) persons hunting turkey or migratory game birds." From my understanding Dove hunting would be exempt from wearing hunter's orange because they are considered migratory game birds? I just want to clarify this rule to avoid getting a ticket.

Thanks in advance and if you have any tips regarding public dove hunting I'm all ears.
Crusader

Re: Public Land Dove Hunting

Post by Crusader »

I have zero hunting experience, but quick google search suggest that you are are probably correct:
https://tpwd.texas.gov/education/hunter ... game-birds
In Texas, migratory game birds include all wild species of ducks, geese, coot, rail, gallinules, snipe, woodcock, doves (mourning, white-tipped or white-fronted) and sandhill cranes. It does not include the exotic collared dove.
Give TPWD a call -- it will be faster than waiting for an answer on a forum :)
jnd1959

Post by jnd1959 »

Dove, geese, duck and crane are migratory game birds so you are exempt from wearing the orange.
Zackthefisherman

Thanks for the replies. Hopefully I will have something to report soon.
FishinClint

Post by FishinClint »

Howdy!

This is my fourth season hunting with the APH program and wish I'd started sooner. Most of my hunts I usually come home with 6-8 birds, but could have come home with limits if I could shoot worth a darn.

I'm sure you will be, but please be respectful of the property/owner and TPWD and follow the rules and regulations. This last Saturday evening I ran into a group of 4-6 hunters (with kids too) and they were nice, but...They didn't access the property as instructed, didn't fill out on-site registration, left trash/spent shells, left dead and wounded birds (I recovered 2 of the three that I could), shot and wounded birds over property line that fell across street, and at least one guy was drinking beer (not allowed during public/drawn hunts). It was infuriating. I'll be calling operation game thief to notify them what's going on and if I see those same people again. Bad enough they're doing it, but they're showing their kids it's okay.
Crusader

Post by Crusader »

FishinClint wrote:at least one guy was drinking beer (not allowed during public/drawn hunts). It was infuriating.
Yeah, this rule pisses me off too -- it is hot and you wanna beer, but nooo... You can drink garbage made by Cola, but not nectar of gods!
Zackthefisherman

Well I made it out once this past week and it was pretty slow. I only had 2 or 3 legit shots all evening. I hit one bird, but I couldn't recover him after spending 10-15 minutes searching the thick brush. I still had a good time, and I now have a better idea of where I should set up next time.

FishinClint, thats unfortunate to hear. I can assure you that I go out of my way to respect the law and others property.
Hirsch
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Post by Hirsch »

Having lost a friend on college because he and some friends decided to mix beer and guns my rule is simple. Guns and beer never, ever mix. :(
FishinClint

Post by FishinClint »

Zackthefisherman wrote:Well I made it out once this past week and it was pretty slow. I only had 2 or 3 legit shots all evening. I hit one bird, but I couldn't recover him after spending 10-15 minutes searching the thick brush. I still had a good time, and I now have a better idea of where I should set up next time.

FishinClint, thats unfortunate to hear. I can assure you that I go out of my way to respect the law and others property.
Zack, if you're interested in meeting up to hunt here in South SA and don't mind a decent walk (1/4 - 1 mile), I'd be happy to show you around. PM me if interested.
Yaklash
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Post by Yaklash »

I stopped doing hunts on public lands years ago because of the kinds of things listed above.

Good luck getting on a good lease. Another option is to go on a few trips with a good outfitter. I have been out with some (waterfowl mostly) that have multiple properties to which they have access, and they hunt the properties that are the hottest, so you aren't pigeon-holed into a property that might have a bad season. Also, many of these guides have exclusive access or controlled/shared access so you are hunting with their customers and nobody else. They also do things to attract birds to their leases. Plus, the outfitters I've used will usually have a collection point set up, lay down the rules, make sure everybody has what they need and give out water and trash bags. They often will also have some food and beverages, including some adult beverages for after the evening hunt.

And on drinking in the outdoors, I personally haven't done it in years, but I don't judge others that do....unless they have guns and are in my immediate vicinity. Fishing? Have at it. Hunting? Not around me, please.
Peddle Power
TKF 4000 Club
TKF 4000 Club

Post by Peddle Power »

Check into some of the local hunting clubs for the possibility of finding good leases. I joined a hunting club out of Blessing, TX., the club has 15,000 +/- acres of bird fields. Of course Hurricane Harvey pushed most of the birds out this year.

I have a firm rule when it comes to hunting and alcohol and even boating/kayaking and alcohol; if you choose to indulge in alcohol you will not do it around me. I have taken people back to the launch point and told them to get off my boat because they refused to listen about alcohol on my boat. My point is stand firm on your convictions and never compromise your principles/standards.