Taming Fayette Co Resivoir...

krackdawg

Taming Fayette Co Resivoir...

Post by krackdawg »

I know this place has big bass and lots of em. The few times that I went (most recently last week), I have been fairly unsuccessful, or got flat our skunked. The last time I went, I launched, and the wind prevented me from effectively fishing a great deal of the area I intended to target - 5 fingers area.

Here are my observations...
Both launches (I have launched at both parks) provide a paddle in the wind, but Prarie Park appears to provide more protected coves to fish. Oak Thicket provides closer access to the 5 fingers area, but provides little relief from the wind. - tough fishing from a yak. To my knowledge there is no other public access.

Big Question...
Do I need to bite the bullet and just paddle to the near the plant ( a grueling trip into the wind) to gain access to more opportunities to fish? I know it depends on pre / post spawn conditions, and other factors play into this, but speaking in general terms, would I set myself up for more fish near the plant.

I'm just trying to figure out how to fish this area effectively. I'm not a newbie, I know bass fishing, and would like to be able to fish this area effectively. Any advice would be appreciated!
kickingback
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Re: Taming Fayette Co Resivoir...

Post by kickingback »

If you are wanting to target the discharge area I am afraid that Prairie Park is the closest. Pick a day when the wind is light or have it so you paddle out in the wind and come back with the wind that way if you tire out around the deeper discharge area you can let the wind carry you back. There is some wind protection near the banks of the discharge area so that will not be a problem. Good bass there in the early morning.
From Oak Thicket the "five fingers" are a good area for bass as well. Some of the bigger ones have been caught in there. It's warm so they may even be deep during the hot day. I haven't been there in a while but I like launching from Oak Thicket better. Less crowded.
I do know when I go I take a cast net and catch me some small talapia and use them on a fish finder rig on bottom and I have caught some nice size ones this way if you just want to drop an anchor and throw out a line. Great bait when livley. They stay alive well without aeration for a while but a good bubbler will keep them alive longer.
I have a trolling motor for my yak and it gets me 3 mph with no wind. Sometimes the wind just stops me on the water with the TM and I have to go peddle and paddle. But the TM is great for that long trip to the discharge and back.
krackdawg

Post by krackdawg »

Thanks for the reply! Sounds like good advice.
kickingback
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by kickingback »

Your welcome. I have had great luck catching big bass right out of Oak Thicket Park launch. Go out about 200-300 yards past the wake buoys there past the pier to main lake and anchor out on the right of the channel to Oak Thicket in 10-15 feet of water and throw the fish finder rig I mentioned and I have caught some really big bass right there so you don't really have to go far to catch some nice sized bass. The pier at night is even good for this type of fishing if you don't have a boat. I have sat on that pier many times at night and caught cats and bass on the fish finder rig. Better at night as the boats do not spook the fish out of the channel and makes it easier to catch them at night.