8/13 Oak Bayou - first kayak outing, found the flounder

rball5

8/13 Oak Bayou - first kayak outing, found the flounder

Post by rball5 »

Got a late start yesterday - on the water around 11:30. Planned to paddle a lot & fish a little since I'm new to kayaks. Didn't plan on keeping anything but I gut-hooked a flounder & it wouldn't survive so I put it on a plate .

Started out on the west side of Oak Bayou following birds & bait fish but had no luck (and the wind kept pushing me to the east side). When I was about even with the birding tower, I moved to the middle of the area & dropped a line just to see how deep the water was. On the way down the line took off! I pulled out 4 decent flounder in what seemed like 15 minutes.

Caught with Gulp shad on a 1/4 oz jig head.

The 4th flounder swallowed the hook & I didn't think he'd survive. I didn't bring a cooler large enough to keep fish so I called it a day - stopped for a bag of ice on the way home to keep the fish cold while waiting in tourist traffic.

http://imgur.com/a/Y7Q30

Lessons learned:
1. It's tough to take pictures of fish on a kayak
2. 1/4 ounce jig heads are too heavy for very shallow water. Bought 1/8 oz jig heads
3. I need an anchor! Bought one after + made a diy anchor trolley
4. Maybe I don't need a depth finder ;)
5. This is every bit as fun as I expected it to be
Kirk B.

Re: 8/13 Oak Bayou - first kayak outing, found the flounder

Post by Kirk B. »

Outstanding!
I still haven't made the switch to saltwater, but I keep watching and learning from posts like this one. Thanks for posting up the report.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
kickingback
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by kickingback »

Well done for your first outing! Finding that many flounder in one area is awesome. You know now you will have everyone out there trying to get them now...lol
Glad you had a good outing and thanks for sharing!
rball5

Post by rball5 »

kickingback wrote:Well done for your first outing! Finding that many flounder in one area is awesome. You know now you will have everyone out there trying to get them now...lol
Glad you had a good outing and thanks for sharing!
Now that I've got an anchor, it probably won't happen again. I was trying to stay on that spot, but was drifting all over the place. I'll be back out tomorrow to see if they're still there.
bigbuzzard

Post by bigbuzzard »

I would recommend a mud stick for those areas. I carry one for the back bays, Christmas, Jones, and com lake. Bottoms seem to be mud or soft. Use a anchor for hard sand bottom like Texas City or cold pass. Anchor also in the deep areas. Just me saying. Awesome trip for you. Keep on fishing.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk
rball5

Post by rball5 »

bigbuzzard wrote:I would recommend a mud stick for those areas. I carry one for the back bays, Christmas, Jones, and com lake. Bottoms seem to be mud or soft. Use a anchor for hard sand bottom like Texas City or cold pass. Anchor also in the deep areas. Just me saying. Awesome trip for you. Keep on fishing.

Thanks for the recommendation. I was looking at academy, but couldn't bring myself to spend $40-50 for a stick. I'll look for a diy solution (it reminded me of a tent pole, maybe I'll try to rig something up from one of those).
bigbuzzard

Post by bigbuzzard »

I used a piece of 1/2" pvc, preferably sch 80, with a tee on top. Cut an angle on the base. It was about 4' long. But a few months later I broke down and bought a yak gear mud stick for $60 on amazon. Really like it. Has 2 clips to hold it, which i lacked on the dyi one. Its strong and 6' long. But we do what our budget allows. But anchors work too and cost a lot less. The stick is just so convenient for the shallows. But again that's my opinion.

Drifting Yak
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Drifting Yak »

Congrats on getting out there and catching those flatties! Nice pics by the way! :clap:
rball5

Post by rball5 »

I went to Academy & looked at tent poles but bought the $50 pre-made stick. I'm convinced I could build my own for a lot less, but I'm impatient (I want it for tomorrow).

I bought this for $50:
https://www.academy.com/shop/pdp/no-lim ... eout-stick

I believe I could make something functionally similar for under $15 using two parts:
http://www.academy.com/shop/pdp/coghlan ... cement-kit
https://www.amazon.com/Paddle-Button-Sp ... B00N01CLW6 (these clips may not be the right size but other sizes are available)

Advantages to the pre-made stick: pointed end, a cushioned handle, a length of rope, a carabiner
Advantages to the tent pole stick: 100" length (vs 72"), $35 savings
Drifting Yak
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Drifting Yak »

Here's a DYI stakeout pole that I've made & used. It's simple to build, reasonably priced and works.

Parts required:
- 3/4" PVC pipe cut to length (4', 5', 6', 8'- depends on what works for you. I like 5 ft.)
- Wooden dowel sized to fit inside the PVC (same length as your PVC).
- 3/4" PVC "T" and 2 End Caps (use these to form a handle for the top of the stakeout pole)
- PVC Primer & Glue
- Silicone Glue
- JB Weld SteelStik Epoxy Putty Stick (am sure there's cheaper alternatives to this but this works)
- Dowel Screw (see link below)
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Everbilt-3-1 ... /204808501

Directions:
(1) Determine the length stakeout pole you want & cut 3/4" PVC pipe to length.
(2) Cut the wooden dowel 1/2" shorter than the 3/4" PVC pipe. (You will want some space ("void") at the bottom of your stakeout pole to leave room for the tip that you'll make out of the JB SteelStik and the Dowel Screw.)
(3) Drill a 1" pilot hole in the bottom of the wooden dowel making sure that the hole is smaller than the diameter of the Dowel Screw. (You want to drill a smaller pilot hole to prevent the spitting of the wooden dowel.)
(4) Using vice grips screw the Dowel Screw about 1" into the pilot hole. (You can fine tune the ultimate length of the Screw sticking out of the wooden dowel later but for now leave about 2 inches hanging out.)
(5) Place silicone glue around the wooden dowel and slide it up into the 3/4" PVC pipe. (I used silicone glue to bond the wooden dowel to the PVC to give it more strength. Also the cured silicone glue remains a little pliable so it allows the stakeout pole to flex a little when you're using it.)
(6) Make sure that the top of the dowel is flush with the top of the PVC pipe and then let the silicone glue cure for a few hours.
(7) Use the PVC primer & glue to bond the End Caps onto the PVC "T" to for the handle. Then bond the handle to the top of the PVC pipe.
(8) At this point you will have the body of your stakeout pole - with a "T" handle on one end and a Dowel Screw point on the other end.
(9) Adjust the Dowel Screw to the desire length to make a point. (I left my dowel screw sticking out about 1 inch from the end of the stakeout pole.)
(10) Mix enough JB SteelStik and fill the void in the bottom of the stakeout pole. (Basically covering the wooden dowel and filling in the "void" around the Dowel Screw.
(11) Mix enough JB SteelStik to mold a point at the end of the stakeout pole. (You are forming a point from the end of the stakeout pole and the tapering to a point at the tip of the Dowel Screw.)
(12) You can paint is as desired. You can add a lanyard. You can add a section of small pool noodles to make it float.
(13) Enjoy!

Hope this helps!
Last edited by Drifting Yak on Mon Aug 14, 2017 4:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rball5

Post by rball5 »

Drifting Yak wrote:Here's a DYI stakeout pole that I've made & used. It's simple to build, reasonably priced and works.
Hope this helps!
Very nice! Thanks for the detailed instructions. I liked the idea of a collapsible pole (like the one I found at Academy or a tent-pole build), but there's plenty of extra room in the kayak & this would've been a great option had I been a bit more patient.

Potential mod - make the dowel a bit shorter than the pvc & add caps to the tee to trap air so that it'll float without adding noodles (though I guess noodles would act as padding to help it stay silent when not deployed).
WoodsWaterSky

Post by WoodsWaterSky »

I recommend a mud stick / pole as well for the skinny water. Make one if you can, buy one if you want.
I made mine outta thin wall stainless tubing and welded a trocar tip on it. I can pierce oyster reef with it as well as mud of course. Good gator defense if needed. I keep it clipped to my kayak with 1/4" bungee cord connected to it. No it doesn't float, and if I were to loose it I would just make another one.
Much better than a muddy anchor in your lap.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
kickingback
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by kickingback »

Here is what I use. I bought one of these from Amazon and put a T on top for handle and sharpened the end to a point. Works perfect!
https://www.amazon.com/Fiberstake-Fiber ... tree+stake

Yaklash
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Post by Yaklash »

rball5 wrote: ...When I was about even with the birding tower, I moved to the middle of the area & dropped a line just to see how deep the water was. On the way down the line took off! I pulled out 4 decent flounder in what seemed like 15 minutes.

Lessons learned:
1. It's tough to take pictures of fish on a kayak
2. 1/4 ounce jig heads are too heavy for very shallow water. Bought 1/8 oz jig heads
3. I need an anchor! Bought one after + made a diy anchor trolley
4. Maybe I don't need a depth finder ;)
5. This is every bit as fun as I expected it to be
6. When I catch 4 flounder in a particular area, note depth, tidal flow/direction

There was something very distinguishable about exactly where you were. A drop-off or a drain/gut intersected with the deepest portion of channel. I'd be willing to bet there was a moving tide. Whatever it was, I hope you made good mental notes to apply to similar areas in the future.
Cityfisher

Post by Cityfisher »

That is so cool for your first outing!
My very first salt water outing was there at the furthest southwest launch. And my first fish caught in a kayak was a flounder caught that same day! :) I remember it very well cause I was on cloud 9 after I landed him. Congratulations! :D
Drifting Yak
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Drifting Yak »

rball5 wrote:
Drifting Yak wrote:Here's a DYI stakeout pole that I've made & used. It's simple to build, reasonably priced and works.
Hope this helps!
Very nice! Thanks for the detailed instructions. I liked the idea of a collapsible pole (like the one I found at Academy or a tent-pole build), but there's plenty of extra room in the kayak & this would've been a great option had I been a bit more patient.

Potential mod - make the dowel a bit shorter than the pvc & add caps to the tee to trap air so that it'll float without adding noodles (though I guess noodles would act as padding to help it stay silent when not deployed).
Good catch rball5! I edited the original post to include end caps (which are part of the build but somehow I missed them).
bigbuzzard

Re: RE: Re: 8/13 Oak Bayou - first kayak outing, found the flounder

Post by bigbuzzard »

WoodsWaterSky wrote:I recommend a mud stick / pole as well for the skinny water. Make one if you can, buy one if you want.
I made mine outta thin wall stainless tubing and welded a trocar tip on it. I can pierce oyster reef with it as well as mud of course. Good gator defense if needed. I keep it clipped to my kayak with 1/4" bungee cord connected to it. No it doesn't float, and if I were to loose it I would just make another one.
Much better than a muddy anchor in your lap.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
If I was still working, (but then I wouldn't be able to fish as much), I would have been making a lot more of the things for my kayak. Great idea for a stake out pole.

rball5

Post by rball5 »

I went back today & nothing went my way. The $50 Academy stake out stick broke the first time I pushed it into the mud, I got nothing more than a few nibbles, the wind pushed me around even more than before, and my shoe got sucked into the mud when I got out & broke (dragging back bare foot sucked).

More learning:
1. I need to wear pants & sleeves so I don't fry in the sun (seems my paddle leash rubs the sunscreen off my legs).
2. Columbia sandals aren't great
3. Academy's customer service IS great
4. I should stay away from Cabela's. I went for new shoes, left with shoes, Columbia PFG clothing, a new filet knife, and a Lew's mach 2 speed spool combo (had my eye on it for a while, now I've got my hands on it :dance: )

Building DriftingYak's stake out pole tonight & trying again tomorrow... maybe from a different launch.
rball5

Post by rball5 »

Yaklash wrote:6. When I catch 4 flounder in a particular area, note depth, tidal flow/direction

There was something very distinguishable about exactly where you were. A drop-off or a drain/gut intersected with the deepest portion of channel. I'd be willing to bet there was a moving tide. Whatever it was, I hope you made good mental notes to apply to similar areas in the future.
I totally failed on this one. Went back to what I thought was the same spot, but had zero luck. I did paddle around a bit dropping my line to see if there was a drop off but I never found one (though the wind significantly hampered that effort).

Even with zero bites I still had a blast! Considering live bait (instead of lures) for tomorrow to up my odds.
Yakety_Yak

Post by Yakety_Yak »

rball5 wrote:I totally failed on this one. Went back to what I thought was the same spot, but had zero luck. I did paddle around a bit dropping my line to see if there was a drop off but I never found one (though the wind significantly hampered that effort).

Even with zero bites I still had a blast! Considering live bait (instead of lures) for tomorrow to up my odds.
I wish I had seen this post before today as when I saw your post on the tent posts, I knew that wouldn't of worked because it's too flimsy. I had been fishing these past few days therefore I have not been online to check out things. This item bends and yes, that material breaks fairly easy with a little pressure. At least I could have saved you a little time and money on that particular investment and it would of been used for something that may have worked better. I personally use PVC with a T on the end. I made with my hand grinder a 90 degree cut on the end and I have yet to be disappointed. Also, the project cost me around $5.00. :)

If your PVC is too big to slide in the hole that's attached to your anchor trolley (mine is small enough so that I can run it through the ring whole that my anchor trolley is tied on to so that I can anchor to the ground), then drill a hole on your PVC (judge where you want your hole in reference on how long you want your stake-out stick to be). Next, take some para-cord and run it through the hole you have created in the PVC. Following that, tie a knot on your para-cord. Finally, take a carabiner and clip it through your cord and then you can clip off to your anchor trolley. Easy and cost efficient for ya until you want to drop money on a better stake-out stick. Enjoy! :)

PS: Great first trip! Welcome to the addiction.
themadhunter

Post by themadhunter »

rball5 wrote:I went back today & nothing went my way. The $50 Academy stake out stick broke the first time I pushed it into the mud, I got nothing more than a few nibbles, the wind pushed me around even more than before, and my shoe got sucked into the mud when I got out & broke (dragging back bare foot sucked).

More learning:
1. I need to wear pants & sleeves so I don't fry in the sun (seems my paddle leash rubs the sunscreen off my legs).
2. Columbia sandals aren't great
3. Academy's customer service IS great
4. I should stay away from Cabela's. I went for new shoes, left with shoes, Columbia PFG clothing, a new filet knife, and a Lew's mach 2 speed spool combo (had my eye on it for a while, now I've got my hands on it :dance: )

Building DriftingYak's stake out pole tonight & trying again tomorrow... maybe from a different launch.
Love that Mach 2 speed spool combo. Fair warning, its noisier than most spool reels. I've got two and they're both the same. At the beginning it was almost an annoying sound, but I didn't notice it after about 45 minutes. I got the Mach II bait-caster too. You can launch that sucker forever!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
rball5

Post by rball5 »

Yakety_Yak wrote:...At least I could have saved you a little time and money on that particular investment ...

If your PVC is too big to slide in the hole that's attached to your anchor trolley ...

PS: Great first trip! Welcome to the addiction.
No issues on the money side - Academy took it back for a refund with zero hassle.

:oops: Thanks for the anchor trolley hole size tip - I totally spaced out on this & was going to tie off (both to the Academy stick & to the one I built), but either would fit though my trolley ring with no problem (I can't believe I didn't think about putting the stick through the ring instead of putting another rope between the two).

Addicted for sure! I should've bought a kayak many years ago.
Yakety_Yak

Post by Yakety_Yak »

What kayakers used to do before anchor trolleys were the thing and even still now was stick the stake-out stick through the scupper hole. However, I like the anchor trolley better as I don't have to reach back to the rear scupper to do this and I certainly don't want it in the front while battling a fish. :)
crusher

Post by crusher »

I'm late to the party here, but that was a great first trip. It's interesting Cityfisher similarly caught flounder his first go and my first trip was taking my two boys out and they pulled in several flounder from a cove or two over from where you were. I can't find a flounder now no matter what I try. :oops: I thought it would always be that easy - I think I/we skunked the following 4 trips after that first successful try.
rball5

Post by rball5 »

I was going to call it beginner's luck, but I had more of it today at the western-most launch in GISP (after getting skunked Monday).
Caught 2 more flounder + a croaker (using green gulp shrimp this time). I've got 6 more days before I have to work again & plan to be out at least 5 of those days.