Back In The Saddle

Backlasher
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Back In The Saddle

Post by Backlasher »

I've got arthritis pretty bad and had to have a hip replaced. I've been trying to limber up a little and even went kayaking twice lately. I can only stay out for a couple hours but it's as much fun as I remembered. We sold our longer yaks and our rack and roll trailer when I couldn't fish anymore but we kept our little yaks (OK Big Yak and Mini X). I decided that I need something longer if I go any distance at all, so today I bought a Wilderness Systems Ride with a rudder. Now I just have to remember how to catch fish.
CaptJack
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Re: Back In The Saddle

Post by CaptJack »

OUTSTANDING Image
krfish

Post by krfish »

Awesome!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Drifting Yak
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Drifting Yak »

You'll be there in no time! :clap:
TexasJim

Post by TexasJim »

Good for you, Backlasher! I'll be 72 next month, and in March, I discovered I weighed 171 pounds, and I'm only 5'4"! I started walking 2 miles a day, and in two months, I had lost 20 pounds. I have kept the weight off, I do 35 sit-ups every day, and I probably paddle at least seven miles a week in my kayak. Just keep moving all you can, till it hurts. Don't be a couch potato.

The best exercise an old fart can do is swimming. Super cardio. Doing laps in a pool is the most boring thing in the world! If you live near the coast, get a mask, snorkel, and some fins, and find a place to swim. When I was in my 60's, I snorkeled at least 3 times a week. You don't sweat, you don't hammer your joints like jogging, and you get to see some neat stuff on the sea floor.

I'm searching the thrift stores for some fins and a mask, so I can resume my swimming regimen. Arthritis is a bitch, but keep moving.

Best, TexasJim
bigbuzzard

Re: RE: Re: Back In The Saddle

Post by bigbuzzard »

TexasJim wrote:Good for you, Backlasher! I'll be 72 next month, and in March, I discovered I weighed 171 pounds, and I'm only 5'4"! I started walking 2 miles a day, and in two months, I had lost 20 pounds. I have kept the weight off, I do 35 sit-ups every day, and I probably paddle at least seven miles a week in my kayak. Just keep moving all you can, till it hurts. Don't be a couch potato.

The best exercise an old fart can do is swimming. Super cardio. Doing laps in a pool is the most boring thing in the world! If you live near the coast, get a mask, snorkel, and some fins, and find a place to swim. When I was in my 60's, I snorkeled at least 3 times a week. You don't sweat, you don't hammer your joints like jogging, and you get to see some neat stuff on the sea floor.

I'm searching the thrift stores for some fins and a mask, so I can resume my swimming regimen. Arthritis is a bitch, but keep moving.

Best, TexasJim
Good advice.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk
Kayak Kid
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Post by Kayak Kid »

Go Backlasher!!!!
I am also recovering from a debilitating physical occurrence. Two years on prednisone fighting Poly Myalgia Rheumatica has left me somewhat weak muscled. I'll be eighty in another year, and, I and, while I've slowed up, I ain't giving up. Just beginning to exercise a bit, and I hope to be back in my Seda Revenge in short order.

Old is nothing more than a state of mind.
lagavulin62

Post by lagavulin62 »

I think a person who still runs regularly, visits the gym, just overall lucky to be in good health can still have issues with kayaks. I can't go more than 2 hours without getting some real pain in my left buttock. I have tried those sports cushions and turning and alternating in all directions but my tops is two hours, after that I am just misersble.

To the point and OP, glad you are fighting back. Friday I had to give up the fishing due to my rod tip snapping. 10 casts and a few nibbles into the trip maybe. But I salvaged the trip and explored those creeks north from Stubblefield. Saw a lot of fish activity and will be ready next time.

Welcome back to the hobby.
Big Tex

Post by Big Tex »

lagavulin62 wrote:I think a person who still runs regularly, visits the gym, just overall lucky to be in good health can still have issues with kayaks. I can't go more than 2 hours without getting some real pain in my left buttock. I have tried those sports cushions and turning and alternating in all directions but my tops is two hours, after that I am just misersble.

To the point and OP, glad you are fighting back. Friday I had to give up the fishing due to my rod tip snapping. 10 casts and a few nibbles into the trip maybe. But I salvaged the trip and explored those creeks north from Stubblefield. Saw a lot of fish activity and will be ready next time.

Welcome back to the hobby.
I had the same problem with pain going from my butt cheek down my leg. Had a pinched nerve in my back. Kayak fishing was my primary form of stress relief and recreation. I upgraded to a Jackson Big Rig and leave the seat in the high position and that made a world of difference! I have sat in the seat for close to 8 hours only getting up a few times to take a leak or stand up in the yak to fish and paddle.
I finally broke down and had the surgery to repair the herniated disc in December of last year. Best decision of my life!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
WoodsWaterSky

Re: RE: Re: Back In The Saddle

Post by WoodsWaterSky »

Kayak Kid wrote:Go Backlasher!!!!
I am also recovering from a debilitating physical occurrence. Two years on prednisone fighting Poly Myalgia Rheumatica has left me somewhat weak muscled. I'll be eighty in another year, and, I and, while I've slowed up, I ain't giving up. Just beginning to exercise a bit, and I hope to be back in my Seda Revenge in short order.

Old is nothing more than a state of mind.
Go Backlasher!!!
Go Kayak Kid!!!
Not only will you satisfy yourselves by being on the water doing what you love, but you also influence the rest of us.
I have a few titanium parts and borrowed bone in my back along with plenty of arthritis (thanks to motorcross and a number of adrenaline driven hobbies in my younger days).
I've got no intentions of whining in my last days about all the things I wish I'd done, but rather smiling and saying I wish i could do it one more time. So yes, I still ride dirt bikes once a year when I go to Colorado. Last month i climbed to 13,ooo feet near Silverton Mountain on a bike, and took a couple of spills along the way. I was really disappointed that we had to cancel our whitewater kayak trip due to shuttle issues, but maybe better luck next year.
I second the phrase, "while I've slowed up, I ain't given up".
I'm still playing hard at 51, I just hope i can still kayak when I'm 70 or 80.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk