Paddle yaks and rudders

Longliner

Paddle yaks and rudders

Post by Longliner »

You paddle yakkers out there are you using a rudder? I've been going without, but thinking I might have to get one. I have a ride135 and because it doesn't track as well as I would like I might be able to benefit from one.
Kirk B.

Re: Paddle yaks and rudders

Post by Kirk B. »

My pelican didn't have one, but my Jackson does. I won't be without one again. Unless to are trying to turn around in a small area, or somewhere with a lot of surface weeds, it helps.
You know how you stop paddling, and the kayak drifts to the side your last stroke was on? Yeah, you can stop that from happening. Kick a little opposite rudder in there and straighten it right out.

Kirk B.
Rsparrow

Post by Rsparrow »

Allows me to adjust boat position while drifting and works pretty well even in a slow drift. I don't like to anchor....
tastywavescoolbuzz

Post by tastywavescoolbuzz »

get a rudder. unless you have noodle arms and have to peddle. :lol:
Longliner

Post by Longliner »

Ok thx, does it make a big difference if it's aluminum or nylon composite.?
tastywavescoolbuzz

Longliner wrote:Ok thx, does it make a big difference if it's aluminum or nylon composite.?
big debate on that question. some will tell you a 2-3hundred dollar carbon fiber is the only way to go ( and justify it as money well spent, not) . if your paddling 10-20 miles then maybe. have done 5-15 miles dozens of times with all kinds and cannot tell the difference. depends on how fit you are in my book. but hey, people love to spend their money on overpriced stuff. :lol:
Kirk B.

Post by Kirk B. »

I prefer the plastic ones. They will snap back into shape from a hit that would put a permanent bend in aluminum. They're also generally lighter, too.

Kirk B.
Longliner

Post by Longliner »

Ok thx
Prof. Salt
TKF 4000 Club
TKF 4000 Club

Post by Prof. Salt »

I paddle hundreds of miles, and I prefer the plastic because it's tough and corrosion isn't an issue. I paddled long miles for years without a rudder but now that I've got used to it, I won't go back. Quartering into (or with) the wind used to be a one sided workout. Now I adjust the rudder a little and paddle normally.
texray

Post by texray »

tastywavescoolbuzz wrote:get a rudder. unless you have noodle arms and have to peddle. :lol:
Geeze Louise, and here I thought it was about the fishing. I'll bet at the end of the day me and my little noodle arms will have more casts total than you and your big manly arms with all the jockeying you have to do to achieve/maintain position.
Longliner

Post by Longliner »

Got this rudder in the mail today finally. Yes it is from China and it will fit the wilderness systems ride 135. Paid $19.50 shipped.
Attachments
1501981483345838248725.jpg
tastywavescoolbuzz

what site offered that rudder? interested. gotta go work on my speedcasting now. :lol:
Longliner

Post by Longliner »

tastywavescoolbuzz wrote:what site offered that rudder? interested. gotta go work on my speedcasting now. :lol:
I have to warn you, it came here on the slow boat from China. But it seems to be well made. I was impressed other than the 3+ weeks it took to get here. ALIEXPRESS is the name and it will come straight from China.
tastywavescoolbuzz

thanks. most goods are made overseas. don't have a problem with that, if made here we would pay 3-5x as much. dont be fooled/conned by the crook in chief. his and his daughter/wifes crap is made there too. :lol: will order soon, thanks again
Longliner

Post by Longliner »

tastywavescoolbuzz wrote:thanks. most goods are made overseas. don't have a problem with that, if made here we would pay 3-5x as much. dont be fooled/conned by the crook in chief. his and his daughter/wifes crap is made there too. :lol: will order soon, thanks again
You are welcome but you might of misunderstood what PRESIDENT TRUMP is trying to do. We can't help from buying Chicom products the country is flooded with them. But he can help keep businesses in the USA by lowering taxes here and raising them if they choose to manufacture elsewhere. Trump wants the country to get stronger my 401k right now is proof of that this guy is good for AMERICA.
tastywavescoolbuzz

cool, but his environmental policies or lack thereof will doom our fisheries. an idiot, plain and simple. more,more,more money! sad. wait ,the 12yr old tweeted classified info today from faux news. yes, idiot with slow (short bus) supporters. peace
Prof. Salt
TKF 4000 Club
TKF 4000 Club

Post by Prof. Salt »

Every pissing contest ends with both participants wet, Insulted and smelling bad, and nobody in the history of the world has been swayed by the arguments either way. Results are the same from conservatives to communists.

...how 'bout them kingfish?
tastywavescoolbuzz

or from liberals to fascists. fish on!!!!
fishinmachine

Post by fishinmachine »

Hee, heeeeee! How 'bout them kingfish!

:horse:
Longliner

Post by Longliner »

Somebody has Kingfish on the brain.
Conservatives to Communist you got to love it.
No offense tastywavescoolbuzz but you gotta be from Calif.
True Americans can't be fascist they just want want what made this country great from the beginning to last forever.
Last edited by Longliner on Tue Aug 08, 2017 4:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
fishinmachine

Post by fishinmachine »

I'm in that camp....it's been too long since I've had a good king rip off a hundred yards of line from the reel while another is screaming off in the other direction. Caught one small king and a giant jack in Alabama last week, but did not sufficiently "scratch the itch".

Back to the OP, you guys that use rudders, how do they hold up over time and in the occasional beatings from a surf tumble?
Longliner

Post by Longliner »

fishinmachine wrote:I'm in that camp....it's been too long since I've had a good king rip off a hundred yards of line from the reel while another is screaming off in the other direction. Caught one small king and a giant jack in Alabama last week, but did not sufficiently "scratch the itch".

Back to the OP, you guys that use rudders, how do they hold up over time and in the occasional beatings from a surf tumble?
I could tell you right now I wouldn't chance it. Something would give
Prof. Salt
TKF 4000 Club
TKF 4000 Club

Post by Prof. Salt »

Viking rudders are flush with the bottom of the yak, and they've stood up to a few turtles. More impressive, they've stood up to lots of abuse when shoving the kayak backwards into the water or lifting it into place in the garage.
tastywavescoolbuzz

Prof. Salt wrote:Viking rudders are flush with the bottom of the yak, and they've stood up to a few turtles. More impressive, they've stood up to lots of abuse when shoving the kayak backwards into the water or lifting it into place in the garage.
prof, what was that split tail yak you were paddling? and what happened to that cali dude designer? just wondering. fna on the viking. my viking rudder has held up for years. longliner, we cant go back to the 50s. as much as those very old billionaire swamp rats may have convinced about 30% of american sheep . and sorry for late response, i fish. a lot. :lol:
TexaRican
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Paddle yaks and rudders

Post by TexaRican »

So I got my Chinese rudder in (eBay) today which was under 2 weeks. This is complete with toe control foot pedals but no cables or instructions. I have installed many rudders through the years and I can tell you this $59 set is every bit as solid as any of the brand names.
I will install on a 14' pescador some time this week and will post the result. Bought the old Tarpon rudder bracket from ACK and ran rudder tubes with poly tubing from Ace hardware. Image

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Last edited by TexaRican on Thu Aug 10, 2017 1:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.