Friends don't let friends

Brazos Hunter

Friends don't let friends

Post by Brazos Hunter »

I know, friends don't let friends own Pelican but...

A couple three months ago I wanted a yak bad to fish the flats and being on a budget, the Angler 100 was what was in my budget. Two months of research and work later, I have a fishable boat. I'm chomping at the bit to get back to the coast and get a line wet! Until then, I have to settle for local lakes.

Mods, if this is in the wrong place, please relocate it or remove.

ImageImageImageImage

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J320A using Tapatalk
Tombo

Re: Friends don't let friends

Post by Tombo »

As a moderator, the only problem I see on your post is you are not fishing with your new kayak.
Neumie
Site Admin

Post by Neumie »

Dang, there's a lot going on with that kayak. Have you had it on the water yet? I would go out without any rods or tackle and just the the outriggers and cooler filled with ice as if you were planning on fishing. How much do you weigh? That kayak only has a weight capacity of 250 lbs and you've added a lot of weight as rigged. Honestly, that does not look safe especially if you add a bunch of ice to the cooler.

For the record, I have nothing against Pelican kayaks (well except the old Castaways from 10 years ago). I think they put out a good product for the price and should be considered for an entry level kayak.
Last edited by Neumie on Wed Jun 21, 2017 9:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cuervo Jones
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by Cuervo Jones »

If it floats and you can cast from it, it'll do. I enjoyed the snot out of my pelican when I used it on the lakes, rivers, and bays. I've got faster, more stable, and more expensive kayaks now, but the fish assure me they care not a bit. Get out there and catch something!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
hipshot
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club
Location: New Caney ............... OK Trident 13, Dagger Cayman, OK Torque, Soloskiff

Post by hipshot »

Does it float?

Bingo, you've got a winner. You're not waiting on the sidelines until you can afford a "real" (per the snobs) kayak; you're out ripping lips, gaining experience, and learning what you will want in the next kayak you acquire. It may not last as long as an OK or a Wildy or a Jackson (or a Hobie, for Tombo's sake), but you're able to fish NOW. Ya done good......
Zackthefisherman

Post by Zackthefisherman »

It looks like you put a lot of thought and hard work into that kayak, nice job.

With that said I have to agree with Neumie on this one. My family owns a few Castaway 116's. Their great kayaks for the money but they don't have a very high weight capacity. One time my dad had his gear and a small cooler full of drinks in his tank well. This caused the kayak to sit very low in the water and made it very unstable. We put the cooler in the back of my Jackson and went on with our day. My dad isn't a super heavy guy so that is one thing to keep in mind.
JMS

Post by JMS »

Agree that the cooler looks dangerous up front like that especially if filled with ice and a couple red fish. Also not sure why you built the rod racks so high up, unless you plan to stand and pole around a lots....Looks like you built rod holder yourself so you can adjust to what eventually works for you....Nice Yak, post a report when you get her slimed

TrailChaser

Post by TrailChaser »

That big ol cooler would be best replaced with a cooler bag that you can throw in the back for a lower more stable load, but will still hold the same amount of ice/drinks/fish. I use a freezer bag from Sam's Club.
You'll probably end up hating those outriggers. Humans have outstanding balancing skills if they are just practiced a little.(practice anything every other day for a couple of weeks and you'll be amazed at what you're capable of ) It's plenty warm enough to go out for a while without the gear and practice standing up.

Your kayak reminds me of the Zoffingers first kayak.
Brazos Hunter

Post by Brazos Hunter »

Hahahaha...the cooler is a little 25qt to keep my lunch cool. All of my add ons, in total, weigh less than 30# and with my lean 180# self, I don't have a problem at all while on the water. Getting ready to head out again now.

~Michael

Last edited by Brazos Hunter on Thu Jun 22, 2017 8:21 am, edited 3 times in total.
TroutSupport.com
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Post by TroutSupport.com »

Or you could use the cooler in the middle and stand on it to sight cast... put it right against your leaning post and you'll be set.

Yeah, i think i'd go out a couple times without all the gear as others have said.

Dont' let anyone downgrade your play to get on the water though. hey, It's a craft and you'll be on the water..

keep it simple is always good.
Brazos Hunter

Re: RE: Re: Friends don't let friends

Post by Brazos Hunter »

TroutSupport.com wrote:Or you could use the cooler in the middle and stand on it to sight cast... put it right against your leaning post and you'll be set.

Yeah, i think i'd go out a couple times without all the gear as others have said.

Dont' let anyone downgrade your play to get on the water though. hey, It's a craft and you'll be on the water..

keep it simple is always good.
I've taken it out a few times w/o any of my add-ons and they were all needed. I went out yesterday and it exceeded my expectations! Now I have an awesome little flats yak!

eightweight

Post by eightweight »

Wow. A pin-up for DIY kayaking.
eightweight

Post by eightweight »

had to go back and look at it again.
so cool.
Brazos Hunter

Post by Brazos Hunter »

eightweight wrote:had to go back and look at it again.
so cool.
Thank you. It actually out performed my expectations.

krfish

Post by krfish »

I'm all about simplicity when I'm on the water. I carry what I think il need for that particular day. I've fished with guys who carry everything but the kitchen sink. It's all about what you think is necessary out there. People have made some good points as well. Get it out on the water to see what you like and what ya don't. Good luck!

Brazos Hunter

Post by Brazos Hunter »

krfish wrote:I'm all about simplicity when I'm on the water. I carry what I think il need for that particular day. I've fished with guys who carry everything but the kitchen sink. It's all about what you think is necessary out there. People have made some good points as well. Get it out on the water to see what you like and what ya don't. Good luck!

That I did and that is why I made the modifications I did. Everyone is different. Some keep things very simple and basic while others like to go all out. I built mine so I can fish all day and be very comfortable.

I agree, just get on the water and fish however it makes one happy!