San Luis pass claims another life

Cuervo Jones
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

San Luis pass claims another life

Post by Cuervo Jones »

Saw on the news this morning and now again that a 19 year old man was wading and got swept in. His 17 year old buddy made it to shore, but he didn't. For the love of all that is holy and sane people, WEAR your life jackets and DON'T wade where it's posted to stay out of the water.
And hey! HEY!!!!!!
Let's be CAREFUL out there!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Cityfisher

Re: San Luis pass claims another life

Post by Cityfisher »

I saw that earlier on yahoo news.
So sad. Warning signs everywhere, people talk over and over how dangerous it is, still people drown there every year. It's Mother Nature's strongest asset. No one is invinsible against it!!
bigbuzzard

Re: RE: San Luis pass claims another life

Post by bigbuzzard »

Cuervo Jones wrote:Saw on the news this morning and now again that a 19 year old man was wading and got swept in. His 17 year old buddy made it to shore, but he didn't. For the love of all that is holy and sane people, WEAR your life jackets and DON'T wade where it's posted to stay out of the water.
And hey! HEY!!!!!!
Let's be CAREFUL out there!

Amen, brother.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk
TexasJim

Post by TexasJim »

I have travelled 30,000 miles between Galveston and the Eastern Caribbean in 38-foot boats. I've seen just about everything. The one thing I have to say about the ocean is: "The sea has no tolerance for amateurs or weak parts!"

People that don't use PFD's and common sense will be overpowered by the sea at some point, unless they learn from earlier mistakes. You can't fix stupid.

Texasjim
Drifting Yak
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Drifting Yak »

Sad so sad. Prayers going up for the family and love ones.
jnd1959

Post by jnd1959 »

When were young we think were invincible, a few years later and we think were infallible. Add two or three decades and we wonder how we ever managed to get this far, but only because we look back and see some of us didn't. Prayers for the family and ditto on what Cuervo said.

Sent from my K88 using Tapatalk
karstopo
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by karstopo »

It's hard to understand just how dangerous wade fishing is there. Being a long time off and on resident of Southern Brazoria County I can't tell you of all the near misses, near drownings and actual drownings eye witness type of stories I have heard surrounding that area. I heard some new ones tonight. One was my neighbor's father telling of the day he found a drowning victim up towards Chocolate Bay many years ago. He was wading along fishing with his son and he saw what he thought was some type of foam floatation in the water. As he waded closer, he realized something wasn't quite right about what he was seeing. He had found a drowning victim. This was pre-cell phone and he waded over to the ICW to flag down a barge. Barge radioed the Coast Guard. Coast guard showed up. It was a father that had drowned successfully saving his young son while they had been wade fishing in the pass the day before. The tide had carried him up towards Chocolate bay.

My friend's father's brother almost drowned there. He stepped off the ledge. My uncle once saved someone there in real trouble of being swept away in the current and then almost drowned himself. He reached out and caught the struggling swimmer and the momentum and physics of the encounter had them switching places.

I pretty much avoid the pass unless I'm in a boat. There just isn't any fish worth wading into San Luis Pass.
kickingback
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by kickingback »

Sad to hear of another tragedy. My condolences to the family. Such a young lad to lose his life doing what he loved to do it sounds like.
I will not even go to the pass shallow area in my kayak at times from the current movement! Too dangerous if you don't know the area and that is about all the time the way the tides and water move the sands around there.
Yaklash
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Post by Yaklash »

jnd1959 wrote:When were young we think were invincible, a few years later and we think were infallible. Add two or three decades and we wonder how we ever managed to get this far, but only because we look back and see some of us didn't.
Damn well put right there
Lagoonfisher
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Lagoonfisher »

I have almost died at the pass....like stated above I was young and bullet proof. Waded chest high with no life jacket and stepped into a drop off with a strong under current.
eightweight

Post by eightweight »

Sad.

Report says he was 19 years old, wade fishing with a buddy at the foot of the bridge, chest-deep water wearing a tee-shirt and shorts.

I have a rule of three. When I arrive at the kayak launch in the early morning hours, first thing I do is get out of the truck, stand on the shore, and look out at the bay. I count the dangers . . . cold, darkness, swift currents, strong winds, boat traffic. I can often tolerate one of these. Two though, means trouble. I may get away with it today . . . maybe not. Three, I know there's a good chance I won't make it home tonight, my wife will be left alone.

I'd add not wearing a PFD to that list, but I always wear one. And San Luis Pass, well, would count for two all by itself. But I simply won't fish there.

Sad. It happens too often.
txdbltap

Post by txdbltap »

Growing up down here it was hammered into my head by my dad to stay out of SLP. Of all the things I ignored as a teen, that was one I actually took to heart. Those currents have claimed too many lives.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk
Cuervo Jones
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by Cuervo Jones »

Seems like they've given up the search. Sad but it could have easily been avoided.

Music Man
Location: Missouri City Lightning Nomad, Kraken 13.5, Trident Ultra 4.3

Post by Music Man »

The body was found yesterday afternoon by a sheriff's deputy. I understand from a friend of the family that their other child has been in the hospital for over a month and now this...Can only imagine the pain in that family right now.

Perhaps this tragedy will be the one that convinces people to wake up.
Kayak Kid
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Post by Kayak Kid »

Yaklash wrote:
jnd1959 wrote:When were young we think were invincible, a few years later and we think were infallible. Add two or three decades and we wonder how we ever managed to get this far, but only because we look back and see some of us didn't.
Damn well put right there
So true. So applicable to so many of us.
WoodsWaterSky

Post by WoodsWaterSky »

You know, re-reading this post is still as sad as the first time I read it. Someone lost their child that day... And come to think about it, everyone I have known that drowned could swim too.
lahai1dj

Post by lahai1dj »

This is such a tragedy; a 19 y/o's future is boundless. My thoughts and prayers go to the family.