Fishing Report: McCollum Park Launch

theletterandrew

Fishing Report: McCollum Park Launch

Post by theletterandrew »

Hey everyone, I'm new to the world of kayak fishing and the forum! I wanted to give an account of yesterday's fishing trip because I haven’t seen any recent topics on McCollum park. Spoiler alert: I didn't catch anything.

I bought my kayak (Perception Pescador 12) on Saturday and Sunday I took it to a local lake to test it out and make sure I was comfortable in it before I did any fishing out of it. I was planning on going fishing this weekend, but since the storm is coming in, that plan was shot and my hand was forced. I knew about McCollum park because my dad had taken me there once to go wade fishing, but there were some old topics on this forum saying that it was closed for repairs. Since those reports were from 2012 or so, I figured it was worth a shot.

Tuesday, I got to work at 5 AM so that I could leave early. In hindsight, I probably should have just taken the day off. After what felt like an eternity, I left work and grabbed my boat from storage. I met up with my buddy, who is also new to kayak fishing, at McCollum park. The park was open and it looked like renovations had been made since the last time I had been. We unloaded everything and parked the cars, then had to carry the boats quite a way to the launch. Thankfully my friend came along- I’m not sure I could make a solo launch there without buying a set of wheels.

We entered the water around 4pm after getting everything situated and paddled north east along the coast towards what’s called the spillway- where water is dumped from a local power station. It’s a popular destination, because the water there is warmer and has a higher salinity- at least that’s what I’m told. The paddle was up-wind, but only ¾ of a mile or so. As we approached, I noticed there were large birds diving for bait right at the spillway, which I’m told is a good sign. There were also baitfish jumping around us as we made our way out. When we got to the spillway, there were already 4 or 5 boats anchored there. We didn’t want to get in anyone’s way, so we just anchored up close to, but not in the spillway.

I was throwing a spoon and my buddy was throwing a mullet looking rapala. A few minutes go by and he gets a bite. I guess he didn’t set the hook, because as soon as it happened, it was gone. The wind was high and the water was choppy. Immediately I noticed my anchor, which had done well in the calm lake over the weekend, wasn’t holding up as well as my buddy’s slightly bigger one. I was slowly drifting back towards the park, while he held steady. We decide since the spillway was packed, we would just fish along the bank and drift back towards the park. A quiet hour goes by, and then I get a bite on my spoon. Again- as quick as it came, it was gone. The rest of the day was quiet and we drifted back towards the park and packed it in.

I’m sure I’ll be back there again as I had a good time being on the water, even though I didn’t catch anything. If I do come back, I’ll be sure to bring a buddy again or perhaps buy a kayak cart- it’s a long hike to the launch.

PS- If you’re in the Baytown area and want to meet up to fish the bay, send me a message!
TigerLandSportsman

Re: Fishing Report: McCollum Park Launch

Post by TigerLandSportsman »

Give it a week and try again

Sounds like a fun trip regardless
theletterandrew

TigerLandSportsman wrote:Give it a week and try again

Sounds like a fun trip regardless
It was a blast! It's always nice to be out on the water.
kickingback
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by kickingback »

When you go there, get there early to get a good spot and anchor out anywhere you saw those other boats anchored. Bring some gulp and jig heads and some paddle tail swim baits. Throw them and let them hit bottom and retrieve back to you varying retrieve until you find the "sweet speed". Tops will work early morning along the bank adjacent near rock along shore. Best for swim baits is to cast into the "channel" and reel back to you like I said. Enjoy!
theletterandrew

kickingback wrote:When you go there, get there early to get a good spot and anchor out anywhere you saw those other boats anchored. Bring some gulp and jig heads and some paddle tail swim baits. Throw them and let them hit bottom and retrieve back to you varying retrieve until you find the "sweet speed". Tops will work early morning along the bank adjacent near rock along shore. Best for swim baits is to cast into the "channel" and reel back to you like I said. Enjoy!
Thanks for the advice! Like I said, I'm brand new to salt water fishing. I've got a redfish out there with my name on it, I just know it!
Dandydon
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Dandydon »

MCCO:
Good thoughtful report for a Newbie. Skunks happen. Learn every trip so they happen hardly ever. I'm the TKF member who contacted the Chambers County Commissioner Rusty Senac and persuaded the county to clear the rocks & create a kayak launch area over there. There's a long thread on the subject from about 4-5 years ago.
Only went kayak-fishing there once more, though, because I hate that long uphill kayak & gear carry! It's almost easier to forget the yak & just Wade in.
I used to limit there on specks wadefishing on incoming tides with light northerly winds. But that was years ago, throwing red/white shrimp tail lures during the week when not crowded. Am glad to know that some kayakers are still using that rebuilt launch area. Tight lines, kids!
--Dandydon, Fishing Attorneys LLP
kickingback
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by kickingback »

That's cool to know you had a hand in making that ramp happen Danydon! Well done. I went there about 4 weeks ago to scout the area but not launch and the "ramp" has rocks on it and at the bottom from what I saw. Kind of rough to launch outright. As it is a ramp it would be nice if someone could back a truck or small trailer down the ramp to help with unloading and loading. It is still a bit steep ramp from what I saw and was not all concrete but more racks and shell. It also had a thick wire across the ramp at top. I guessed you could carry your yak to there and go under and pull your yak from there. Couldn't figure it out unless they open it during the day as I was there late at night. The park was open but the gate was across the ramp.
How was it when you went theletterandrew?
theletterandrew

kickingback wrote:That's cool to know you had a hand in making that ramp happen Danydon! Well done. I went there about 4 weeks ago to scout the area but not launch and the "ramp" has rocks on it and at the bottom from what I saw. Kind of rough to launch outright. As it is a ramp it would be nice if someone could back a truck or small trailer down the ramp to help with unloading and loading. It is still a bit steep ramp from what I saw and was not all concrete but more racks and shell. It also had a thick wire across the ramp at top. I guessed you could carry your yak to there and go under and pull your yak from there. Couldn't figure it out unless they open it during the day as I was there late at night. The park was open but the gate was across the ramp.
How was it when you went theletterandrew?
It was exactly how you described it. Maybe we missed this ramp Danydon was talking about!
Dandydon
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Dandydon »

Hey guys, haven't been to McCollum in years, like I said. What once was a smooth ramp might be covered w/ rocks if Chambers County hasn't maintained it!
I regard that area as a wadefishing (no kayak) spot now. Good luck & tight lines.
--Dandydon, Esq.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
MobyYack
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club
Location: On the road between Humble & Galveston - Aboard the Pequod - Just below Cpt. Ahab's knee

Post by MobyYack »

what area are you coming from?
FishFreak

Post by FishFreak »

Fished spillway 2 times earlier this year on buddy's boat. Better of the 2 trips, we caught a limit of reds early in morning, a few keeper specks, a cooler full of sand trout, annoying needle fish, a nice sized sheepshead, and get this.......a bonus striper!

Def have to go on weekday when boat traffic is down. Been looking at launching yak at McCollum park for a little while now.
theletterandrew

MobyYack wrote:what area are you coming from?
I'm in Baytown
theletterandrew

FishFreak wrote:Fished spillway 2 times earlier this year on buddy's boat. Better of the 2 trips, we caught a limit of reds early in morning, a few keeper specks, a cooler full of sand trout, annoying needle fish, a nice sized sheepshead, and get this.......a bonus striper!

Def have to go on weekday when boat traffic is down. Been looking at launching yak at McCollum park for a little while now.
I'll give it a try tomorrow early in the AM. Wish me luck!
TigerLandSportsman

Post by TigerLandSportsman »

theletterandrew wrote:
FishFreak wrote:Fished spillway 2 times earlier this year on buddy's boat. Better of the 2 trips, we caught a limit of reds early in morning, a few keeper specks, a cooler full of sand trout, annoying needle fish, a nice sized sheepshead, and get this.......a bonus striper!

I'll give it a try tomorrow early in the AM. Wish me luck!
Looks like you'll have a major from 5:30-8:30am
KaptainKautious

Post by KaptainKautious »

I've been saying I would get back to McCollum Park and launch my new Vibe Seaghost 130. When are you going again, we should buddy up.
kickingback
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by kickingback »

It's past morning....How'd you do?!?! :wink:
theletterandrew

kickingback wrote:It's past morning....How'd you do?!?! :wink:
Well that day in particular I took another TKF guy's advice and went down to Tiki Island and fished in the West Bay. I had no luck there except for a baby redfish. Something is better than nothing though I suppose!

Then this morning me and the guy above you went out to McCollum Park. I caught nothing and he caught a bunch of catfish, a croaker, and a stingray. Still a lot of fun though!