Catch flounder w bacon????

Post by frios »

https://youtu.be/OnwZL_sEusU

Has anyone tried this?
Is this believable??
Crusader

Re: Catch flounder w bacon????

Post by Crusader »

I did it few years ago -- caught a flounder off the bottom from the bank at SWP. I have witnesses.

On a side note bacon is very good for sand trout -- they love it, it is nearly impossible to get off the hook and it stays good for long time.
WoodsWaterSky

Post by WoodsWaterSky »

frios wrote:https://youtu.be/OnwZL_sEusU

Has anyone tried this?
Is this believable??
LOL! I happened to watch that same video this morning... Won't know it till ya try it. Heck, I might give it a shot.
The Angler

Post by The Angler »

I mean, it's bacon; who/what doesn't eat bacon?
frios

Post by frios »

haha true.
I'll be in RP this weekend. Gonna give it a try.

Thinking of getting the thick cut apple smoked flavor. haha
Yakety_Yak

Post by Yakety_Yak »

The Angler wrote:I mean, it's bacon; who/what doesn't eat bacon?
Agreed! :)
The Angler

Post by The Angler »

mm mmm mm them flatties are gonna have a tasty last meal;)

You know, I think the trick lies in the oils in the bacon. The fat must leave a nice scent trail for the flounder to follow; I can totally relate haha.

Well, good luck on your trials sir.
MobyYack
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club
Location: On the road between Humble & Galveston - Aboard the Pequod - Just below Cpt. Ahab's knee

Post by MobyYack »

There is a company called uncle Josh that used to sell pork rind strips but I think they went out of business. John Skinner who is a big bucktail fan seems to think that there is a trick for flounder and fluke. you can make your own strips if you find fatback in the grocery store

Sent from my SM-J700T using Tapatalk
Yaklash
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Post by Yaklash »

This is funny to me. First because he adds the bacon to a lure that, on its own, should catch flounder just fine.

Second, he probably reduces his hook-up rate ten-fold by having such long pieces of it hanging off of the jig's hook. Just a pinch will do, if the bacon is indeed what is attracting the flounder.

Third, A gulp trailer will catch more fish/last longer and is at least as effective, probably more effective

Fourth, do you realize how many pounds of frozen dead shrimp (a tried and true method of "tipping" a jig to make it irresistible to flounder) I could buy for the cost of that bacon???

To sum it up, this is funny and was entertaining to watch, but you are better off tipping your jig hook with dead shrimp or a Gulp swimming mullet or trailer.
WoodsWaterSky

Post by WoodsWaterSky »

MobyYack wrote:There is a company called uncle Josh that used to sell pork rind strips but I think they went out of business. John Skinner who is a big bucktail fan seems to think that there is a trick for flounder and fluke. you can make your own strips if you find fatback in the grocery store

I haven't heard anyone mention "Uncle Josh" in years. All of the old timers used to talk about using a "jig and pig" to catch fish. Man, once you put one of those on your hook the only way it was coming off was with a knife... I can't say that I ever really cared to use them.
That company sold those jars of pork rind for nearly 100 years.
MobyYack
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club
Location: On the road between Humble & Galveston - Aboard the Pequod - Just below Cpt. Ahab's knee

Post by MobyYack »

Yeah unfortunately they stopped selling those strips for some reason. Sad shame

MobyYack
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Re: RE: Re: Catch flounder w bacon????

Post by MobyYack »

Yaklash wrote:This is funny to me. First because he adds the bacon to a lure that, on its own, should catch flounder just fine.

Second, he probably reduces his hook-up rate ten-fold by having such long pieces of it hanging off of the jig's hook. Just a pinch will do, if the bacon is indeed what is attracting the flounder.

Third, A gulp trailer will catch more fish/last longer and is at least as effective, probably more effective

Fourth, do you realize how many pounds of frozen dead shrimp (a tried and true method of "tipping" a jig to make it irresistible to flounder) I could buy for the cost of that bacon???

To sum it up, this is funny and was entertaining to watch, but you are better off tipping your jig hook with dead shrimp or a Gulp swimming mullet or trailer.
Dang uncle Josh sold them there pork rind for 93 years too. Crazy

jnd1959

Post by jnd1959 »

Lets see, I'm using food to catch food. Hmm. This is like using flounder to catch pompano. I'd rather eat the bacon and use something else as bait. From a strictly food gathering perspective, it seems rather redundant. Entertaining though.

Sent from my K88 using Tapatalk
kickingback
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by kickingback »

C'mon guys, how many of you use "chicken" to catch crabs?! How about hot dogs for catfish?!
This is not a new idea, just a twist on how sea creatures forage for food no matter what it is as long as it tastes good to them. Bacon has lots of fat and the fat breaks down in the water and releases the smell of fat (which we all know tastes good ourselves!) causing the fish to be attracted to the bait more.
I use the belly meat off flounder I catch for use on my following trips. I have found flounder are attracted to eat their own belly meat when tipped on a bucktail jig. I can get bites sometimes from just a bucktail jig but we all know adding a Gulp or tipping it with live bait and dead works.
Yaklash
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Post by Yaklash »

kickingback wrote:C'mon guys, how many of you use "chicken" to catch crabs?! How about hot dogs for catfish?!

:lol: :lol: :lol: Guilty, on both, but not since I was a kid. Fish heads work better for crabs :D Hot dogs for catfish???....last time I remember was about 1983 and that's because we didn't have any chicken liver :D
kickingback wrote: I use the belly meat off flounder I catch for use on my following trips. I have found flounder are attracted to eat their own belly meat when tipped on a bucktail jig. I can get bites sometimes from just a bucktail jig but we all know adding a Gulp or tipping it with live bait and dead works.

Agreed, taught about cut bait many years ago with belly strips on a treble hook and a split-shot weight 10" up the line. It works nearly as well as live bait. If the flounder are there with good current, you can catch 10 flounder on a single piece of bait.
WoodsWaterSky

Post by WoodsWaterSky »

I don't suppose there is a right or a wrong method or bait. The goal is to catch the fish... I'm sure there are some unimaginable items that have been used as bait that have yielded some surprising results. Take the guy that recently used a chicken McNugget to catch a record bass on Lake Bardwell for instance. Now who would have thought... If he would have told people that he was going to use a Mcnugget as bait prior to catching the fish, I'm sure that he would have gotten some static about it. But, doing it in reverse order got a different reaction. I got a text/pic last night from a buddy that was on Lake Conroe and his boys were hammering catfish using french fries from Wolfies. Goes to show, ya never know.
I do wonder about the diet some of these fish are on though.
jnd1959

Post by jnd1959 »

Don't get me wrong, if it works it's viable. I just that bacon ranks higher on the food chain for me.

I do think you've hit on something though. If chicken nuggets and French fries are catching fish, there must be something in those foods that is universally appealing.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk
kickingback
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by kickingback »

I'm telling you, it's the FAT! We humans love it too!

I wouldn't be surprised if Gulp has fat in as a "secret" ingredient! Now that stuff is like crack to fish!

And WoodsWaterSky, you said you wonder about their diet they are on....do you think we should change it from them picking at other fish poop off the bottom or dead bait we feed to them two days old? LOL We really need to talk to these fish and get them back on the right diet. You're right!
MobyYack
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by MobyYack »

I used a piece of fatback yesterday to catch a 2 foot shark on a good spoon

vw4fun

Post by vw4fun »

My grandson caught a 9 lb catfish couple of weeks ago at a private lake. We used nasty 'ol chicken livers. The catfish sure liked it. We liked them too. Deep fried.