Anyone launched out of Habor Dr. In Hitchcock, TX recently? How safe is it to park at the bridge?

MontleyYak

Anyone launched out of Habor Dr. In Hitchcock, TX recently? How safe is it to park at the bridge?

Post by MontleyYak »

I 've been trying to explore different areas lately and was wondering if it was safe to park at the bridge in Harbor Dr. I 'm curious to explore the marsh area close by. Any input would be greatly appreciated.
mmwaggie

Re: Anyone launched out of Habor Dr. In Hitchcock, TX recently? How safe is it to park at the bridge?

Post by mmwaggie »

Following. I'm not sure about launching there but it sure would be nice. That paddle from Louis' is a long one.
MontleyYak

Re: Anyone launched out of Habor Dr. In Hitchcock, TX recently? How safe is it to park at the bridge?

Post by MontleyYak »

I was told you can park at the side at the first bridge to launch. I just want to know how safe it is to leave your car there.
Yaklash
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Post by Yaklash »

At least one kayaker has used it as a launch...

For me, this is a situation where you just have to hope for the best. On one hand, it's in an out of the way area and might thus be a good place to do some crimes, but on the other, there aren't a lot of ways in and out for thieves to use. To be sure, I would practice the "leave nothing of value in your vehicle and leave the doors unlocked" method of parking.
Attachments
Harbor Dr Bridge.pdf
Add description
(208.12 KiB) Downloaded 192 times
Cuervo Jones
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by Cuervo Jones »

Go for it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
lagavulin62

Post by lagavulin62 »

It's probably been about 7-8 years since I last used that entry. It was always on a weekend and there were plenty of people fishing around the bridge. Never had an issue, but my truck doesn't look like that red one either. : )
mmwaggie

Post by mmwaggie »

Well it looks like I'll have to give it a shot some time.
MontleyYak

Post by MontleyYak »

Well I went this weekend and didn't have a problem launching. There are two launch places from the bridge. Fishing was ok but the area is beautiful. One thing I noticed was that there were lots for PBs even in the marshes. They were very and nice slowed down when they saw me with my kayak which was a change from the PBs in 8 mile run.
Drifting Yak
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Drifting Yak »

MontleyYak wrote:Well I went this weekend and didn't have a problem launching. There are two launch places from the bridge. Fishing was ok but the area is beautiful. One thing I noticed was that there were lots for PBs even in the marshes. They were very and nice slowed down when they saw me with my kayak which was a change from the PBs in 8 mile run.
How is the actual launch? Can you roll your yak all the way to the water's edge or do you have to carry it over obstacles?
Royd

Post by Royd »

Holy cow that place looks beautiful
MontleyYak

Post by MontleyYak »

Drifting Yak wrote:
MontleyYak wrote:Well I went this weekend and didn't have a problem launching. There are two launch places from the bridge. Fishing was ok but the area is beautiful. One thing I noticed was that there were lots for PBs even in the marshes. They were very and nice slowed down when they saw me with my kayak which was a change from the PBs in 8 mile run.
How is the actual launch? Can you roll your yak all the way to the water's edge or do you have to carry it over obstacles?
Yes you can drag the kayak from both launch sites.
Drifting Yak
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Drifting Yak »

Cool ....Thanks!
cdudley

Post by cdudley »

I launch there a couple times a week if the water is right. I live off 2004 in Hitchcock and I have never had any issues there. It is a nice place and gets you in Pierce Marsh pretty quick. If you ever see a white chevy diesel there it's me and I ain't that far out. Come check it out. You can pull your truck right up to the west side of the bridge and unload your gear but on the east side you have to carry everything across the road. Remember to pull your rods out of the rod holder when going under the bridge cause they will hit.
raaalph

Post by raaalph »

I launched Friday & this morning with no issues (other than coming up empty handed today)
NS4419

Post by NS4419 »

raaalph wrote:I launched Friday & this morning with no issues (other than coming up empty handed today)
How were the water levels in the marsh? I am thinking about going in the morning before it heats up.

- Nathan