Kayak fishing- San Luis Pass

Seanpwilliams98

Kayak fishing- San Luis Pass

Post by Seanpwilliams98 »

I've bankfished here before and it was pretty productive. What I want to know is if anyone here as ever tried it in a kayak? I know the currents are bad and it is dangerous with the wake. But if it were a calm day would it be possible or even worth it to try fishing it? Anchoring up and fishing either soaking bait or tossing lures. Let me know what you think or if you have done it before.
kickingback
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Re: Kayak fishing- San Luis Pass

Post by kickingback »

What are you targeting? The pass is a dangerous area for boats let alone kayaks. The currents in and near the Pass circulate a lot and have a mind of their own sometimes. I get caught in the currents close to the San Luis County Park area so I can only venture to guess that it will be even worse near the bridge.
I wouldn't chance it unless I knew for sure when the tides are coming in and only fish the incoming tide. Safest bet.
TroutSupport.com
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Post by TroutSupport.com »

One... wear a pfd the entire time. It's the current, more so than the waves, that is dangerous. Fish the back side of the pass where all the little guts spread out. That also spreads out the current and makes it a little more manageable. That's north of the main channel that you see on google. Look out for sharks increasing in the summer as well. It would be preferable to go with someone that has fished that are first time out. Like kicking back said, it can get really ripping in there some days and if something happens it doesn't take long to be off the beach. ... be careful.
Tx_Trout_Stud

Post by Tx_Trout_Stud »

I am thinking about hitting the guts of SLP this coming Saturday, Galveston side. PM if you want to join. I haven't been in awhile so no telling if anything is out there biting. Should be a good incoming tide until 10ish Saturday morning.
Jigawatt

Post by Jigawatt »

Tidal movement is the number one factor in current problems around San Louis Pass. Massive amounts of water funnel in and out through the Pass. It can be a calm day and still have dangerous current. Look at a tide chart. You will see how tides get stronger and weaker throughout the year. This will be one predictor of bad current. Another of course is strong winds. One thing to keep in mind - the current overtakes you without warning. You can be standing in waist deep water one minute, then the next, you're being pulled along, and the sand beneath your feet becomes like quick sand. There's an old maritime name for this event - maelstrom. San Louis Pass creates maelstroms.
LOOKN4REDS
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by LOOKN4REDS »

Passes can really create constriction of water flow during tide changes..... kind of like a fire hose. Be alert and closely observe water in and around passes. A very distinct color change near shorelines is a good indicator of fast current and probably a deep drop off. DO NOT STEP OFF IN THESE COLOR CHANGES. Also the obvious do not anchor with your rope attached to your kayak. You may be able to anchor but test the current before you attach to your kayak. If you find yourself in a swift current you may actually loose ground to the current in spite of your best effort. Paddle perpendicular to the current toward shore until you clear the current. Otherwise just enjoy your fishing trip.
Yaklash
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Post by Yaklash »

All the above is good info and PFD goes without saying. The backside as noted by TS is a pretty good "safe" option to fish. The strong currents are back there too...but you will have plenty of company and will see plenty of waders so that'll give you an idea of the relative safeness.

But SLP Is a big place. Cold Pass, Bird Island, Titlum-Tatlum is a good long day's worth of fishing that can be hard to beat. Currents in Cold Pass can be a little stronger than the West Bay backside, but plan ahead when crossing and you'll be fine.
CaptJack
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Post by CaptJack »

you do need to have good paddling and swimming skills to fish the pass
that said.. i've been fishing it my whole life
~~~~~~~~
When my old kayak fishing buddy, Malcolm Davies is in town we go to SanLuisPass.
This photo of Malcolm, from a trip back in 2000, is the photo we based the TKF logo on.

Malcolm Davies - SanLuisPass 15Jul2011

my Pamlico on the beach at the park on the Freeport side

and behind the toll booth. Bird island in the background

SanLuis Pass is where i fish Image
Last edited by CaptJack on Fri May 12, 2017 10:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
kickingback
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by kickingback »

CaptJack wrote:you do need to have good paddling and swimming skills to fish the pass
that said.. i'm been fishing it my whole life
~~~~~~~~
When my old kayak fishing buddy, Malcolm Davies is in town we go to SanLuisPass.
This photo of Malcolm, from a trip back in 2000, is the photo we based the TKF logo on.
That is COOL! I did not know that picture was the base for the TKF logo. Awesome! Thanks for sharing!