General discussion about bay kayaks

bdm

General discussion about bay kayaks

Post by bdm »

I just recently sold my first kayak and after a day of grieving, I'm back in the market to find another. I have been exclusively fishing the bays since moving to Houston about a year ago. My biggest complaint about my old kayak was it was really slow, didn't track well, and if i had a slight headwind I wouldn't glide at all. It was an old 10 ft manta ray, so I'm assuming that most of my problems stemmed from it being older, and shorter. Ive been interested in the diablo for awhile now but have heard about some complaints of being slower. I like the wide platform of the diablo but not sure if I will be having the same problem with headwind that I had in my last yak. Ive also looked into the ride 115 and some other more 'traditional' kayaks. Also, I will be keeping this 'new' kayak in a smaller home so i dont really want to get above 14 ft. I know it is personal preference (my schedule is packed so demo-days are mostly out of the question), but does anyone have any suggestions so I can get back out on the water?

P.S Is there any real worth in having an expensive paddle? I noticed that salt water wasn't exactly nice to my last paddle (shallows, reefs, etc.) and it was a decent plastic bladed paddle. So, is it worth to risk tearing up an expensive carbon fiber paddle?
Yaklash
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Re: General discussion about bay kayaks

Post by Yaklash »

Below are generalizations. There are plenty of kayaks that split the difference between the extremes. It just depends on what you want. What I hear is you want faster and better tracking.

Longer is faster and more efficient (easier to paddle). Shorter is more stable, turns tighter and thus can maneuver better in tight quarters, but they tend to be slower and take more effort to travel a distance.

Hull profile and overall width (with respect to length) are what affect stability. Long and thin is fast and efficient, while short and stubby you can stand up and sight cast, but can be a little like paddling a bath tub. Hard to increase one without losing some of the other. So if you really want or need stable, for whatever reason, you have to be willing to sacrifice some speed and efficiency. On the other hand, from my point of view (in the bays), I don't need stable. I grew up paddling canoes, I have good balance and generally stay in fairly shallow water...and I don't want to fish standing up on a kayak if it means low speed and hard to paddle. I want speed, efficiency and tracking with an open "tank-well" type storage area behind me and a covered hatch up front. On my third kayak, I got the WS Tarpon. I got the 14, because the storage shed at the fish camp has depth issues, but had I more room I would have gotten the 16. And I got it with a rudder, a big plus if you are doing any kind of distance at all, but also makes tracking a cinch.

For tracking, a rudder can make up for a lot. I highly recommend a rudder on whatever you get
Endo

Post by Endo »

It might help to know your budget and if you are looking for a new kayak or a used one.

Help narrow down some suggestions, but even then it is still pretty broad. You want a paddle yak or a peddle yak...or are you indifferent?

Etc...

texnomad
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Post by texnomad »

It sounds to me like you are the perfect candidate for a few demo days or day rentals of a few different models of yaks. Your choice will be a personal balance between several preferences that cannot all be first choice. I have had this experience personally. No other person will be able to decently choose what you will fall in love with. You are on the right track asking for things to be aware of. Take your time and it will be well spent time.
Paddle wise my Werner Camano lasted me a bit over twenty years and I sold it for almost what I paid for it when I bought it. If I was to be planning on speed and or distance again, my bad shoulder joints would really benefit from another upper grade paddle. As it is now a long day for me is 2 miles in 6 hours of marsh hugging. My $100 or less paddles have been just fine but obviously not for long days or distances. So there you have another opinion from an Old Fat Man.
Kayak Kid
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Post by Kayak Kid »

So far, you have only told us that you fish the bays (deep water, bay flats, bay reefs ???), you prefer a 14 footer or less, want it to paddle faster (more efficiently perhaps?), and, you would like one that handles a head wind with relative ease. Not enough information.

If you could elaborate on what you want to do with the kayak, how you prefer to fish, what is the most important interior features you like, then, I would be more than glad to throw some suggestions your way.

I am down to only one kayak in my fleet. It is old, it is dated, and, it is no longer made. I fish from it, camp from it, and, cover a lot of water in it. As an aside, even at almost eighty years of age, I don't believe any amateur kayaker in any of the plastic kayaks can keep up with me on the water (for a short time anyway). I present such braggadocio, to point out that there are many new and used kayaks out there, and, it is likely that there is one that fits each of our unique needs.

I choose to ply the water in a kayak. I love the zen of pushing a sleek boat through as much water as possible, in as short a time as possible, with as little effort as possible. That's my reason. What's yours?

To me, a paddle is almost as important as the kayak itself (the paddler's skill being the most important). I prefer to use the lightest kevlar bent stem paddle available. I've used the same Werner, exclusively, for the past 14 years. I'm ashamed of the abuse I have enjoined upon this paddle, yet, by applying a bit of clear auto polish, it looks as good as new.
Crusader

Post by Crusader »

get yourself pescador sport 12' or smth slightly wider if you need to be able to standup
Salaqua

Post by Salaqua »

I have the WS ATAK 140 and like it for the fishing I have been doing. It has tons of storage and plenty of legs room (I am 6'3" and 210). I can stand and paddle/fish in just about any flats I have been fishing. It is not the fastest but for the size it is holds it own. It is still a large vessel though. I would not get rid of it but am considering a second yak that is a bit faster and if I had to buy my second one today I would lean to the WS Tarpon 130X or Tarpon 14.

The application for choosing the right tool is key. If you are on the water a long time and not paddling forever at once, a more stable and comfortable kayak may be good like the ATAK. If you are paddling a few miles in between spots, then I would get something faster like the Tarpon or Jackson Cuda. A cheap paddle is generally heavier and if you are not paddling much, then you will be good. However, there is a huge difference when you paddle a heavy stick vs. a light one.

Of course, budget is important. Once you get your price, consider buying a better quality used kayak rather than a new lesser quality. If time is on your hands, then also consider buying around November when the new models come out and you may find a closeout price on a new year old model. ACK even has a list of used kayaks. https://www.austinkayak.com/usedkayaks
bdm

Post by bdm »

Pulled the trigger on a ride 135! Havent been out yet but I cant wait to get this beast on the bay. Really like the large platform and opportunities to customize. If my anchor trolley, PFD and anchor ship this week I may take it for a spin this weekend.
lagavulin62

Post by lagavulin62 »

Do not skimp on a paddle. As it was explained to me 10 years ago whenI I started this, "the paddle is your motor". It made a world of difference compared to that plastic included for free cheapo I got with the first kayak.
bdm

Post by bdm »

lagavulin62 wrote:Do not skimp on a paddle. As it was explained to me 10 years ago whenI I started this, "the paddle is your motor". It made a world of difference compared to that plastic included for free cheapo I got with the first kayak.

Very true, well the new boat came with a bending branches plastic paddle (that actually fits me and the ride) so its an upgrade from what I had. I might upgrade to something fancier down the road
CaptJack
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Post by CaptJack »

hard to beat a Tarpon 160
karstopo
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by karstopo »

CaptJack wrote:hard to beat a Tarpon 160

That looks like a vintage Tarpon 160. How long has CanoeSport been gone? I still have my AquaTerra Prism 13 from the late 1980's with the same CanoeSport sticker on it. That Prism paddled great for a 13' kayak. Not a dry ride, though.
CaptJack
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Post by CaptJack »

karstopo wrote:That looks like a vintage Tarpon 160. How long has CanoeSport been gone? I still have my AquaTerra Prism 13 from the late 1980's with the same CanoeSport sticker on it. That Prism paddled great for a 13' kayak. Not a dry ride, though.
yes, that's an original Tarpon 160, before the tankwell
btw.. our Prisms are 14' Image
karstopo
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by karstopo »

Right, they are 14' 2"I believe. Some wires got crossed in the old noggin. Fast kayak for a 14". Mine is yellow. It is a permanent resident of the Matagorda Peninsula at a camp there. Still gliding along providing countless hours of fun out on the water.
lagavulin62

Post by lagavulin62 »

I have the 2008 Tarpon 16i. Maybe that was the first year for the "i"? No idea what it standa for. It's been a great yak and my only complaint, which has only been a recent prob, is the seat is terribly uncomfortable after a few hours. I think it's mainly an age issue. Other than that its been a great investment. Easy to load/unload, very light, and of course fast.