Help choosing new kayak

birddog28

Help choosing new kayak

Post by birddog28 »

I have a slayer 12, love standing when fishing in it and love the seat but do not enjoy paddling it as much during family fun paddle days. I don't feel it moves through the water well compared to my wife's tarpon 120, and daughters Caper. I paddled a tarpon 120 and loved how easy it paddled, it was just so smooth.

I am looking to find out if another boat will paddle easier/faster than the slayer and might allow me to stand some as well preferable in the 12-13 foot range.

I have been reading a lot about the Tarpon 130x, and Jackson Cuda 12, but would really appreciate any personal experience or advice. I will. E renting them in a few weeks but was hoping to hear from some personal experience. Thank you for any information you can share.
crusher

Re: Help choosing new kayak

Post by crusher »

Trident 13.
crusher

Post by crusher »

http://www.texaskayakfisherman.com/foru ... 3&t=242930 north of Houston - I didn't look to see where you are.
rcyak

Post by rcyak »

I had a Cuda 12 and my guess is you're not going to find it that much different than the Slayer 12 relative to paddling. They are similar styles of hulls. I also had an older Trident 13 that was definitely easier to paddle. I could stand in the Trident but it had to be very calm. The seated position in the Trident made my back sore if I stayed in it too long. I'm sure this will be much better in the new Trident with improved seat. I picked up a used Jackson Kraken 13 and have been very pleased with it. Faster hull but comfortable seat and I can stand in it confidently. I'm on the shorter side though ~ 5' 6" so might not be as easy to stand in for some. You're experiencing that typical trade off between speed and stability. Just my 2 cents. Definitely rent and demo and good luck.
Neumie
Site Admin

Post by Neumie »

I agree rcyak about that you're not going to gain as much efficiency going to the Cuda 12 as you would expect. It's not a beast to paddle like the Slayer, but it's also not exactly like a Tarpon. I think the Kraken 13.5 would be the better choice from Jackson, though it's a little longer than what you're looking for.

Ocean Kayak Trident 13 is great paddling yak, but is it stable enough for you to stand in? I find it stable enough to stand and fish, but you may not. The Wilderness Systems Tarpon 130X could work as well, but I don't have much experience with them. May also want to take a look at the Perception Pescador Pro 12.0, as it would be somewhat similar to the Tarpon 130X.

Depending on where you are paddlign the canoe/kayak hybrids may suit your needs. The Native Watercraft Ultimate FX 12 and Wilderness Systems Commander 120 paddle very nicely and are stable enough for most people to stand.
Bradleto

Post by Bradleto »

I have a Cuda LT and it weighs 57 or 58 lbs. My guess is that it paddles better than the heavier Cuda but I don't know for sure as i have never been in the standard Cuda. It is 12'11" as I recall. I find I can get the Cuda LT up to around 5 MPH with no great sweat. And, I can pick it up effortlessly and carry it overhead down from my house about 100 yds. to the lake.

Another kayak to add to the list is the new Wilderness ATAK 120, just out this year. In YouTube video it shows a large man testing it by standing in it and he says he personally thinks it is more stable that its big brother, the ATAK 140. In another video by another man, he starts from a dead stop and without any overly Tarzan-like paddle thrusts, just good strong motions, he brings the kayak up to 3 mph after his 6th stroke. I was very impressed with that. Both reviews commented on how easy it is to paddle, to stand in.

I like some of what the others have mentioned as possible considerations, too.

Brad
birddog28

Post by birddog28 »

Thank you all very much for your responses. I have rented the Cuda 12 and Tarpon 130x as well as a Tarpon 140. The Tarpon was very quick and enjoyable to paddle but not standable and I experienced back pain in a few hours.

The Cuda was 0.3 mph faster than my Slayer, a little smoother if a paddle but not enough to be worth selling the Slayer and buying a Cuda.

The Tarpon 130x was fantastic to stand in, excellent layout for fishing, I found the seat to be practically as comfortable as the Slayer seat, however it was only 0.2 mph faster than the slayer, again... not enough to warrant a financial switch.

I will rent a Ride135 with the new high low seat next and see how that paddles.

Again... I sincerely thank you for the responses.