knots

Boxermaniac98

knots

Post by Boxermaniac98 »

What is the best knot for connecting braid to mono? I do not use braid normally however I am trying to prepare for BWKC and would like to have more line on my reels and I think the best way to do this is the spool with braid and have a leader 10 or so feet. I have been studying a few knots (watching on you tube) and trying at home. The one that stands out to me is the FG knot, it seems like the easiest to do on the kayak if needed. Please advise me on what knots I need to learn so I can began to develop a good since of what to use.
The Roach

Re: knots

Post by The Roach »

I've always used a line-to-line knot...Strong Like Bull...and a pain in the A$$ to tie in the wind

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Endo

Post by Endo »

For years, I've used an Alberto Knot for both inshore and offshore attaching braid to mono or flouro.

It's pretty easy relative to some of the other options.

http://www.netknots.com/fishing_knots/alberto-knot
Heatstroke

Post by Heatstroke »

The Alberto or FG work for me.
texnomad
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Post by texnomad »

For my mono to braid connection I use the uni to uni knot. It has been 100% effective for me for four years.
Kirk B.

Post by Kirk B. »

I'm new to the braid business, too. I settled on the FG knot. It's simple, doesn't take forever to tie, and doesn't require the manual dexterity of a magician to tie. It also goes thru the guides easily. I haven't had one hang up on me.
My 2% of a dollar.

Kirk B.
kickingback
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by kickingback »

Yep FG for better gliding through rod eyes. Can't beat it.
The Roach

Post by The Roach »

This link may be useful from PowerPro:

http://www.powerpro.com/content/powerpr ... -knot.html

Kirk B.

Post by Kirk B. »

How about that! I use the uni knot (also called a Duncan loop knot) for tying on flies. I'll try it on my fluoro leader and see how it holds up.
Both mono and fluoro are susceptible to heat when you pull it up tight. If it pigtails, cut it off and redo it or you might lose the fish of a lifetime. I always stick the knot in my mouth and get it real wet before I tighten it down. It makes that big of a difference. The spit absorbs the heat, instead of the line.
One drawback to the uni knot is the long tag ends it leaves. You will use up a lot of leader if you change lures a bunch of times.

Kirk B.
Endo

Post by Endo »

To me there is a big difference in tying a knot at home in your garage and tying one out on the water in your yak with the cramped space, wind and waves.

FG and double Uni, etc. are all good knots and fine to use (especially if you're in your garage setting your gear up), but I find the Alberto Knot much easier and quicker to do out on the water. Just my preference and opinion.

Drifting Yak
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Drifting Yak »

Alberto all the way!
Kirk B.

Post by Kirk B. »

Endo makes a good point.
Any knot you plan on using, you need to practice it to get it in your muscle memory.
Get a good length of line and tie the knot a bunch of times, just sitting there watching TV. When you can tie it without losing the thread of the show, it will be easier in most any conditions.

Kirk B.
Boxermaniac98

Post by Boxermaniac98 »

Thanks to everyone for the input, I think I will look at the Alberto knot and practice it. I have done the FG and yesterday on one I did at work while sitting at my desk after pulling on it through the afternoon I did manage to get it to come loose and if it was being tossed around from a fish, I would have lost it. Not sure if I did something different or wrong but I will continue to work on a the FG and this Alberto knots.

Is there any standard sizing for the two lines? So if I have a 30lb braid, I should be using a 60 mono? I would like to work with what I should be using and re-string my reels correctly.
teen yaker

Post by teen yaker »

I usually use a bimini to bimini or a spider hitch knot. Sometimes a double uni if I'm in a hurry.
Heatstroke

Post by Heatstroke »

Boxermaniac98 wrote:Thanks to everyone for the input, I think I will look at the Alberto knot and practice it. I have done the FG and yesterday on one I did at work while sitting at my desk after pulling on it through the afternoon I did manage to get it to come loose and if it was being tossed around from a fish, I would have lost it. Not sure if I did something different or wrong but I will continue to work on a the FG and this Alberto knots.

Is there any standard sizing for the two lines? So if I have a 30lb braid, I should be using a 60 mono? I would like to work with what I should be using and re-string my reels correctly.
I've had a couple of FG's come loose before when I tied it where you hold the braid in your mouth and wrap the mono around it and almost give up on it then I started tying it like this https://youtu.be/yk7uWUa4z6Y and everything is "so far so good".
Boxermaniac98

Post by Boxermaniac98 »

Awesome, but have you done this in the yak? In windy conditions

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
TigerLandSportsman

Post by TigerLandSportsman »

I usually do a uni to uni, but the Alberto seems a lot easier to tie in a yak
BeachAggie

Post by BeachAggie »

I've never seen that FG knot before that looks legit! When I was a deckhand we used uni to bimini twists mostly but personal use I've stuck with the alberto. If the FG holds though and it looks like it will that will probably be my new standard.
Heatstroke

Post by Heatstroke »

Boxermaniac98 wrote:Awesome, but have you done this in the yak? In windy conditions

Well no but I haven't needed to. If Monday's trip holds together and the action is slow, I'll give a shot just for grins.
Boxermaniac98

Post by Boxermaniac98 »

Thanks let me know. I am going to fish Conroe Saturday and will spend some part of the day practicing. Going to take one set up just to tie knots.

yangjianhunt

Post by yangjianhunt »

FG is not the easiest to tie on a kayak. It's a good slim knot pre-tied.Improved Albright is strong and easy. Easiest is the surgeons knot with 6-7 passes. It's surprisingly strong.

MustardHooks

Post by MustardHooks »

If I'm at home gearing up, I'll tie a bimini. Out on the water I'll just tie a uni to uni.
Fishtolive

Post by Fishtolive »

Alberto knot while on the water.
FG knot if tie the knot at home.
I like FG but it is difficult to do it right on the water (in the wind) for me.
Duweezy

Post by Duweezy »

Fishtolive wrote:Alberto knot while on the water.
FG knot if tie the knot at home.
I like FG but it is difficult to do it right on the water (in the wind) for me.
X2