My Harbor Freight Trailer Build

Cigarsnjeeps

Post by Cigarsnjeeps »

Just wanted to document my yak trailer build in case it helps other that might want to do the same.

Started off with a 4x8 trailer kit. Comes with everything you need to build a trailer at home. Here is a 4x4 section befinning to take shape.

Just follow the directions and bolt everything together. In this pic, the tongue is not installed the way the instructions called for. I was experimenting since I will be extending the tongue for better towing and backing.

Time to build some uprights. My intent is for my new Amigo to ride on the bottom and then have room for up to 2 more kayaks on top. We used 1-1/4 square tubing. If you are not fortunate enough to have a good friend who welds, you can produce a bolt together option using uni-strut.

@cigarsnjeeps on IG and Twitter
Cigarsnjeeps

Re: My Harbor Freight Trailer Build

Post by Cigarsnjeeps »

If you compare the original pic to this one, you'll notice that we reconfigured some things thanks to some good ideas from my buddy:
1. Removed the 2 center cross braces and inserted each one inside each side of the frame to strengthen the frame.
2. Relocated the axle further back on the trailer for more stability. Easy to do, just roll it back and bolt it up with some new drilled holes.

We also reconfigured the tongue so that the original hitch was inside the frame rails. Took a little grinding to make it fit, but not bad. This will be used as a guide for the 8' 2x2 tubing we installed for the tongue.

Buddy welded up the tongue and a few other places to strengthen some areas although it would be fine if everything was just bolted. Did buy a new 2" tongue since the trailer comes with 1-7/8 and I wanted to have thw same size as my other trailers.

Here is where it currently stands. Ill update more as I proceed.

kickingback
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by kickingback »

Looking good.
Keep an eye on the total weight with yaks and equipment to not overload it with the small 12" tires that come with it. It's rated for 1100 lbs but the tires that come with it are only 4 ply tires. If you keep the 12" tires go for the 6 or 8 ply to get more speed and less wear out of them I found.
I have also had to replace my bearings on one side already so keep an eye on them as well especially if you back it into the saltwater all the time.
Cigarsnjeeps

Re: RE: Re: My Harbor Freight Trailer Build

Post by Cigarsnjeeps »

kickingback wrote:Looking good.
Keep an eye on the total weight with yaks and equipment to not overload it with the small 12" tires that come with it. It's rated for 1100 lbs but the tires that come with it are only 4 ply tires. If you keep the 12" tires go for the 6 or 8 ply to get more speed and less wear out of them I found.
I have also had to replace my bearings on one side already so keep an eye on them as well especially if you back it into the saltwater all the time.
Thanks for the advice. I will def keep an eye on the tires and the bearings. I don't do much salt water where I'm at. I plan on upgrading to some bearing buddies too.

larry long shadows
TKF 4000 Club
TKF 4000 Club
Location: East Houston May the wind be to your back when you Yak

Post by larry long shadows »

cool
Jimbo_47
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Jimbo_47 »

I know you aren't finished, but that space between the two uprights in the last picture could possibly use some reinforcement by adding another cross member in that space to help strengthen the frame and prevent twisting.
Nice job! :clap:
castin4fish

Post by castin4fish »

Here's mine. Notice the triangle reinforcement brackets on the trapeze. Yes those are 10" tires. Ive been down to the coast many times and to three rivers many times with no problems with bearings or tires. This was an old Harbor Freight trailer the neighbor gave me. He used ti to cart his motor cycles to Houston. It sat in his yard for many years and collected rust. I did replace the bearings when I got it not because they were warn, but because they had rust. The hub actually has grease fittings so I give them a pump every once and awhile. Its been a great trailer. Good luck with yours. Oh btw I live in San Antonio to show you distance I travel.
Attachments
Kayak Trailer 1-29-12 002.jpg
Kayak Trailer 1-29-12 001.jpg
Cigarsnjeeps

Post by Cigarsnjeeps »

Got the trailer lights installed and wired today. Still need to buy a license plate light, but I have the wire there and ready for it.

Next step is to install the pvc bunks and it should be ready to go. Trying to decide if I want to install them as shown in th pic... If I do I will install uni-strut pieces horizontal to the pipes and aattach using spring nuts. This way the bunks are adjustable in case I need to tweak them or haul a different kayak.

2nd option and the way I am leaning is installing three or four pieces of pvc horizontal and just letting the kayak sit on top. I spoke to the Owner of Diablo at demo days and he advised to just haul it on horizontal bars since it is relatively flat. He hauls all of theirs on pickup roof racks (see pic below).

Cigarsnjeeps

Post by Cigarsnjeeps »

Well. I got the bunks installed. I am still debating over whether to put carpet on them, but likely will unless I can find some pool noodles that will work effectively. I decided on this configuration for the pvc after talking with diablo at Demo days. I told him I was considering installing them length wise, but he advised that he hauled them sitting on top of horizontal cross bars and that's what he recommended (attached a pic of his yaks on the roof rack of his truck as a reference). So, I'm going to give I it a shot and see how it works. I can always easily reconfigure if need be.

Still waiting for the Amigo's to come in and the anticipation is killing me.

How Diablo hauls their Amigos (usually stacked on top of each other)

Jimbo_47
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Jimbo_47 »

No way I would haul any kayak on the bare bars.....Just too much vibration and bumpy roads that can and will wear in the area that the kayak rest on the bar.
It's your kayak, but if it were my hard earned money, I would at least want some old carpet on the bars.
The kayak material is softer than the bar so guess which one is going to get worn first.
The dealer doesn't care because it just means job security for him if you wear a thin spot or worse in the hull.
Cigarsnjeeps

Re: RE: Re: My Harbor Freight Trailer Build

Post by Cigarsnjeeps »

Jimbo_47 wrote:No way I would haul any kayak on the bare bars.....Just too much vibration and bumpy roads that can and will wear in the area that the kayak rest on the bar.
It's your kayak, but if it were my hard earned money, I would at least want some old carpet on the bars.
The kayak material is softer than the bar so guess which one is going to get worn first.
The dealer doesn't care because it just means job security for him if you wear a thin spot or worse in the hull.
Yeah. I plan to go to academy today to pick up some bunk board carpet or some padding of some sort. I plan on cushioning it somehow. I'm still not completely sold on this solution. If I don't feel 100% comfortable with it, ill change it up.

Cigarsnjeeps

Post by Cigarsnjeeps »

Here is what I am going to do to finish off the bunks. 1-inch closed foam insulation (similar to pool noodle). It fits over about 3/4 of the pvc. Then using a little 3M tape to hold it in place, I'm going to use some short self rappers to attach bunk carpet over it. The 8-inch wide you can buy at Academy seems to fit perfect. More pics to come when I finish tomorrow.

kickingback
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by kickingback »

That will work but you will have to replace the foam rather quickly with the elements and wear.
Why not put 3" or 4" PVC pipes from front to back and let the kayak sit on the PVC with them in the grooves on the bottom of kayak. It will support the ENTIRE kayak while hauling or storing and you will not need any foam. The kayak will also load easier by way of using the grooves to align the kayak each time and the plastic to plastic makes a smooth finish with little friction when loading and unloading. You already are using the same amount of PVC running side to side. Just my opinion.
TigerLandSportsman

Post by TigerLandSportsman »

Why does the guy say that running the bunks the length of the yak is bad?
Cigarsnjeeps

Post by Cigarsnjeeps »

Alot of it had to do with his preference I think. , But also, the amigo grooves underneath spread out as they move towards the end of the kayak so if I had pic lengthwise he said they would need to be close together in the front and further apart in the back (look back at the pics I posted of rhe underside of the amigo).