Strong SE Wind Saturday

jopa

Strong SE Wind Saturday

Post by jopa »

Anyone know good spots to fish with 15+ SE winds, or would it be better just to stay at the casa? Not looking for exact spots to fish, just where we might get SOME protection from the wind.
Thanks!
richg99
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Re: Strong SE Wind Saturday

Post by richg99 »

I don't know many places that you can hide from the winds up here, but...

A strong SE wind will often push clearer water towards Galveston beaches. The phrase "green to the beach" comes to mind.

I've never done much in the way of wade/surf fishing, but I think "green to the beach" would be a good thing.

You might check the surf fishing section on 2cool for more knowledgeable recommendations on that wind.

richg99
pwooly

Post by pwooly »

I'd also like to know more about this. I also tempted to go as I cannot trust the accuracy of the wind lately. I'm tempted to go but every chance I get to go the wind is high so I haven't gotten to go lately.

I'm thinking the wind is going to be high since we have a front coming through Sunday all day. Thoughts? 15-25 is in the danger zone in my opinion.
texnomad
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Post by texnomad »

One thing good about the Corpus area is there is always a few places wind protected no matter the direction of the wind. The fish seem to like hiding from the winds in the same areas. And there is always the jetty at Port Aransas. Come on down to Corpus.
Yaklash
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Post by Yaklash »

jopa wrote:Anyone know good spots to fish with 15+ SE winds, or would it be better just to stay at the casa? Not looking for exact spots to fish, just where we might get SOME protection from the wind. Thanks!
15+ wouldn't scare me off of fishing if other factors - tides and wind direction - were looking good. It might make me lean towards leaving the kayak at home. As to a comment above, SE winds over 8-10 mph will keep green water well beyond the third sand bar. So fishing the surf will be a wet, bouncy proposition. Fishing BTB will be rough too.

I can't glean from your question just where you live and where you normally fish, and it is funny how many people ask about where others might fish without referencing what areas they are considering. In my area - Houston/Galveston - with 15-20 SE winds, I'd lean towards a south shoreline cove or a lower end grass shoreline of West Galveston Bay. Same would be the case in Matagorda. A lot of water movement in the morning on an incoming tide should spell success if you can find the fish.
adanvjr

Post by adanvjr »

When you mention " some protection from the wind", I'm assuming you mean somewhere where you wont have to battle against waves and such.

If so, which ever direction the wind is coming from, the shoreline facing away (not towards) is a little mild. For example, if you were in a bay and the wind is coming from the north, the northern shoreline that's facing south will be the most comfortable.

That, and marshes.

For me, I can handle +20 knot winds in a marsh. But if I was in an open bay, that'll be a different story.
GoneFishing78

Post by GoneFishing78 »

adanvjr wrote:When you mention " some protection from the wind", I'm assuming you mean somewhere where you wont have to battle against waves and such.

If so, which ever direction the wind is coming from, the shoreline facing away (not towards) is a little mild. For example, if you were in a bay and the wind is coming from the north, the northern shoreline that's facing south will be the most comfortable.

That, and marshes.

For me, I can handle +20 knot winds in a marsh. But if I was in an open bay, that'll be a different story.

good info here. thank you
YakRunabout

Post by YakRunabout »

A common occurrence is that the winds die down at night. Need to fish? Go hit some lights -

This is not much help this weekend since that may be going from 22 to 17, but it works at other times. It worked for me this morning - had 5 -6mph before dawn, was likely in teens by 10 or 11
kickingback
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by kickingback »

You guys and gals NEED to start looking at NIGHT FISHING! If you look at the winds and history of the winds in a given area you will find the winds are lighter at night.
I have been using this to my advantage for a long time! No one fishes at night becasue they want to rest. Some think the fishing is not as good as it is in the daylight. This cannot be further from the truth.
I find more areas to fish and set up all night and catch MANY fish of different kinds using the same techniques you use in the daylight.
Best thing to do is watch Wunderground (weather) a week in advance and pick a day when the winds are low at night. Check the tide tables at tides4fishing and find the best current times to fish in. Then the day before take a few naps during the day or sleep late the day before so this way you will be awake and refreshed to fish all night. I go until noon the next day at times to get the best of both day and night fishing and it has worked well for me!!
Light winds at night and morning are what you are looking for so try it! Try it out sometime. You will be amazed at what you accomplish fishing.