Rear seat fabrication

huntbigb

Rear seat fabrication

Post by huntbigb »

Has anyone ever fabricated a child's seat on a kayak with a rear rail system? For example, the Feelfree Moken 12.5 has a rear UniRail and I'm interested in building a seat for my 4 year old to ride along...any suggestions?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
krackdawg

Re: Rear seat fabrication

Post by krackdawg »

Yes I built one on the back of my Malibu x factor. It's a big kayak 14+ft and I made a seat for my kids to ride along behind me. Worked great. Even had my brother come with me once and it supported him and me on the yak.

I made a base out of 2x6s and attached a stadium seat to it. Kinda a DIY project, but ended up working well.
Attachments
20170317_194533.jpg
20170317_194549.jpg
huntbigb

Post by huntbigb »

krackdawg wrote:Yes I built one on the back of my Malibu x factor. It's a big kayak 14+ft and I made a seat for my kids to ride along behind me. Worked great. Even had my brother come with me once and it supported him and me on the yak.

I made a base out of 2x6s and attached a stadium seat to it. Kinda a DIY project, but ended up working well.
Awesome! Thank you. I will be purchasing a Feel Free Moken 12.5 for me and a Moken 10 lite for my wife. We have two kids (4 and 2) I think that would work perfectly and even allow them to fish too.

hillbillie

Post by hillbillie »

Just a heads up. It is against the law to put two people in a one person kayak. Its no different than a regular boat that has a weight and person limit. They are writing tickets for it on Lake Conroe.
kickingback
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by kickingback »

Can i get the info on the law? I just know of a weight limit. If it is a kayak like the tandem island is that what the law says? Just curious as I have never seen or known this. Thanks.
krackdawg

Post by krackdawg »

Intrresting... I have seen tandem kayks, as well as single kayaks fitted with child seats molded into the hatch. I would like to see the law as well.
huntbigb

Post by huntbigb »

Never seen a person limit, just a weight limit on kayaks

Plastic paddler

Post by Plastic paddler »

Yeah that's odd i had a Malibu Stealth 14 that had a gator hatch in front with a molded in child seat.
pitontheprowl
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by pitontheprowl »

hillbillie wrote:Just a heads up. It is against the law to put two people in a one person kayak. Its no different than a regular boat that has a weight and person limit. They are writing tickets for it on Lake Conroe.
Nothing found on TP&Ws site regulations about this.....
hillbillie

Post by hillbillie »

I will try to find something. I have not seen the law either but I did see the GameWarden check a guy that had his kid in his kayak with him and before I got away from the launch he got to me and said he had given Him a ticket for being one person over the limit for the boat. From what I understood it is legal if the kayak is designed for two.
kickingback
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by kickingback »

And how and who decides what constitutes a "tandem" or two person yak? The weight limit? Number of "seats"? A sticker on the yak giving you the limit of people?
The weight limits go to 650 lbs for some. That's three 200 lb men on a yak. "Seats" on a yak are mainly padding. You can put padding all over a yak to sit on. Never EVER seen a "person" limit on a kayak. Common sense.
My jon boat has the maximum weight limit AS WELL AS the maximum number of "occupants". That is on the metal plaque attached to boat per manufacturing laws I am guessing.
Nothing on kayaks like this. You can go to ACK and view the ACK Demo Days videos they have on the site and can see people LOADING down kayaks with MANY adults and kids. Check it out. I would think if it were illegal then ACK would enforce this as they wouldn't want any bad publicity for breaking the law.
I am pretty sure that if you a game warden or other law enforcement tries to give you a ticket you can ask him for the law and statute. If he cannot provide he cannot write a ticket and you can fight it in court. They have to be able to show you the law. If they cannot then you are good to go. As there is no requirement for weight limit or person limit stickers on a kayak you will not find a law stating this since all kayaks are different.
If i were a GW i would just want to make sure the occupants are safe. Life jackets, safety gear, check if the yak is "over loaded" by looking at the stability as well as how the kayak rides with all occupants on board. If I get an argument I will have them paddle a few yards and i will see if they can maneuver and safely operate the kayak without anyone being in danger. If the yak is very low in the water from extra weight or the yyak is wobbling back and forth from the weight I will tell them the laws and that I think they are unsafe and to return to launch. I would make sure they got back and helped them. I would explain lives are more important. If they still argued then a ticket will be there's and I have no problem arguing to a judge how I was trying to save lives. I take pictures too!